STA v. American Heritage thoughts

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
St. Thomas Aquinas beat American Heritage 33-22 on ESPN2. It was a close game throughout but STA (three defensive TDs) pulled away at the end. There were a bunch of P5 players on the field, including at least three legitimate 5* talents. Some quick thoughts:

- James Williams could have played for Miami on Friday night. When you watch him down-to-down, he plays with consistent passion. He started on special teams, moved everywhere on defense and didn't take snaps off. We've used the Isaiah Simmons comparison, but he also looks like a bigger Derwin James. They have similar temperaments. In the box, he was wiry strong with strong hands to fight off blockers and drag down ballcarriers. He is still raw technically and tackles high but it can be cleaned up. I saw no issues with physicality. When he lined up wide over a receiver or at deep safety, he showed tremendous acceleration and long strides to cover a ton of ground. He also looked smooth backpedaling. His football IQ will allow him to play multiple roles for Miami and we badly need his athleticism in the back 7.

- Dallas Turner looks like the next first round South Florida pass rusher. He's always been an elite athlete, but the strength and power is catching up to his frame. He had at least one sack and caused a pick 6. I love Jason Taylor as a Dolphins fan, but he's a problem for the Canes as STA's defensive coordinator. Taylor won DPOY under Saban and played a big role in 'Bama landing Turner and Braylon Ingraham.

- Mark Fletcher ('23 RB for Heritage) was just as freakish as the other two. He's listed at 6'2, 225 and might be even bigger. Fletcher is a very good RB earning Derrick Henry comps but, like Henry, will create a lot of debate over his future position. He's a smooth athlete and a devastating blocker who buried '22 DT commit Jamaal Johnson a couple weeks ago.

- Earl Little, Jr. looks the part. He didn't get tested much in this game and it's hard to get much from the TV angle.

- Something is up with Jaydon Hood at STA. He shuffled in and out of the lineup and didn't make much of a splash. His recruitment will be interesting to watch with Michigan on the ropes.

- Anthony Hankerson ('22 RB for STA) had a monster game, including juking James Williams out of his shoes on a TD. He's an elite high school runner and can be a very good runner at the college level. He's the classic squatty, laterally quick back. The issue will be his size (5'9, 185ish), as he is quicker than fast (23.84 PR in the 200M).

- Gunnar Hansen ('21 RT for STA) is taking his game to the next level. He caught my eye at the Under Armour camp with his size (6'5, 305) and feet, but he needed to improve his technique and body. His hard work and transfer to STA are paying off because he looks excellent as a senior. He committed to Vanderbilt this summer and may be better than that. He opened up some massive holes for Hankerson. Tough kid who finishes. Arrow pointing way up. @The_U_

- Tyson Russell (son of Twan Russell) is another good get for Vandy. He had a pick, a key pass breakup and looks the part of a solid P5 DB.

- Tyreak Sapp played with his usual high energy. He doesn't look to have grown much and is still a DE/DT tweener. To me, he's a good, versatile cog in a high P5 rotation.

- Boogie Silvera (brother of Nesta) is a tough box safety with some explosiveness. He blocked a kick and looks like a G5 type.

Advertisement
Here's one guy I forgot to mention: Vinson Davis. He played QB for Heritage but is really a slot receiver. He was great at receiver last year, killed it on the camp circuit and busted some huge runs on Friday. He has massive sleeper potential as a little, quick playmaker:

Why don’t we offer Twan Russell’s son at DB? If he can play at Vandy and be a solid corner we can use him at least for depth.

Advertisement
Marvin Jones is a freak too, dudes massive.

I totally forgot about Tyreak sapp when I was watching parts of it didn’t see him do too much. Turner is a freak. STA just hoses 6-8 people every down they just have guys running free at the QB. I love Heritage LB Vadala he’s a tough little instinctive player.

I love Heritage LB Vadala he’s a tough little instinctive player.
Yeah he was everywhere. Jaeden Kinlock ('22 LB) is another guy who caught my eye on the Heritage defense. He's the #2 ranked 195-pound wrestler in the state and Ivy League-level student. A little stiff but makes a ton of plays with his IQ and strength.

shame about turner. Did we ever stand a chance? Good thing sofla is loaded at that position for 21. But, turner seems to be the most college ready of the group

Advertisement
shame about turner. Did we ever stand a chance? Good thing sofla is loaded at that position for 21. But, turner seems to be the most college ready of the group
I don't think so. Alabama had a good pitch. Jason Taylor's endorsement has enormous credibility and they have a great role set up for him.

From what I understand, his family has money so I don't think this is a bag deal.

Yeah he was everywhere. Jaeden Kinlock ('22 LB) is another guy who caught my eye on the Heritage defense. He's the #2 ranked 195-pound wrestler in the state and Ivy League-level student. A little stiff but makes a ton of plays with his IQ and strength.
Yeah I was wondering who he was. He’s real good football player. I love those dual sport athletes.

Advertisement
I don't think so. Alabama had a good pitch. Jason Taylor's endorsement has enormous credibility and they have a great role set up for him.

From what I understand, his family has money so I don't think this is a bag deal.

I really don't understand why a guy like Taylor would support Saban so much. Saban quit on that Dolphins Franchise and every player on that roster, including Taylor.

D, I love your insights and knowledge of the game. But I think you’re setting the fanbase up for disappointment by saying James could have contributed on Friday night.

I taped the STA v AH game and watched it expressly to assess James’ college readiness. And he is RAW.

All the positives are there. I saw a kid with high level closing speed and good football IQ. But his tackling form is atrocious, And he didn’t have any technical skills at the line. Williams will be toast in the ACC until he corrects this. Maybe he’s ready by his RS freshman year. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s held back and not seeing meaningful game time until his RS sophomore year. I also don’t think he’s developed enough to project the position he ultimately lands at.

That’s not a knock on the kid’s upside. Rousseau didn’t get burn as a freshman, Harrison-Hunte either. They needed time to develop and so does Williams. JMHO.

Great shìt D$.

I will say that JWill has surprised me, I initially thought he was more of a finesse player, but he's been playing with a chip on his shoulder this season & has absolutely turned up the heat playing hard fast & physical. He was always a gifted freakish athlete you just wanted to see him play with more pop & this Senior season he's definitely answered that question.

He's an early contributor IMO, I didn't feel that way before his Senior year but he's been playing like a man on a mission & when you get a freak athlete like him with some internal fire burning, he can be a dangerous explosive playmaker on Defense when the want to matches the natural traits.

Advertisement
D, I love your insights and knowledge of the game. But I think you’re setting the fanbase up for disappointment by saying James could have contributed on Friday night.

I taped the STA v AH game and watched it expressly to assess James’ college readiness. And he is RAW.

All the positives are there. I saw a kid with high level closing speed and good football IQ. But his tackling form is atrocious, And he didn’t have any technical skills at the line. Williams will be toast in the ACC until he corrects this. Maybe he’s ready by his RS freshman year. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s held back and not seeing meaningful game time until his RS sophomore year. I also don’t think he’s developed enough to project the position he ultimately lands at.

That’s not a knock on the kid’s upside. Rousseau didn’t get burn as a freshman, Harrison-Hunte either. They needed time to develop and so does Williams. JMHO.
Greg got hurt

Yea Greg got hurt. But he still would have sat. Look, I was part of his fan group, used to post his senior HS highlights on here. I loved loved loved his athleticism despite him being a two star at one point. But he was raw and needed a moment in college before breaking out.

The difference here is that everyone is expecting James Williams to come in and save us from Carter, Bolden and possibly even Hall bolting for the NFL. They see a 5 star and say day one starter. He won’t be that, IMHO.

I mean, he grabs jerseys and tries to swing kids to the ground as a tackling technique. Do you think guys like Chaney or Brinson are going down by a shirt tackle? I’m just saying he needs work.

He’s definitely raw but IMO his football IQ and physical skills should get him on the field early.

The key is whether the coaches have a role ready for him. He’s a unique player. Isaiah Simmons got stuck early with the Cardinals because they didn’t seem to have a plan.

Advertisement
Back