ST Coach Mentioned anywhere?

Advertisement
Geez man with the passive aggressive approach lol. I was just asking. I will look into the Smith guy. Thanks

I don't care enough to dig into researching the rule, but it's been said by some that there is a partial exception for an off-field analyst to be able to coach special teams to some extent, as of a few years ago, iirc. I'm sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer, but many programs have everyone coach special teams together anyway, and the STC coordinator is often a celebratory title to give someone some shine.

Smith could be planning it out, and be allowed to coach it, or be planning it out for others to execute, or it could be everyone all-in.

Whatever it is, Mario certainly has a plan. We will probably know more when he has a press conference to announce the final staff or the one he does before the first spring practice.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Screenshot_20220301-220832_Samsung Internet.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
A former Mountaineer all-conference safety, Addae returned to WVU in January 2019, after serving as the defensive backs coach and assisting with several special teams’ phases at Minnesota in 2018. His punt return unit finished No. 1 in the nation (22.3 yards per return), punt return defense was No. 2 (1.11 y/r) and the kickoff return unit finished No. 26 nationally (23.4 y/r).

🤷‍♂️

Dennis Smith I am sure will be heavily involved in Special Teams .... he is a full time staffer with the title QC Analyst Special Teams ... and in his prior stop he was on field coach for "ST / NB" so that is in his area of specialization. HOW does he contribute / do the job without being in violation of the "10 on field coaches" is a question that I am sure Rad / Mario have addressed. He CANNOT coach players during practice or games on field.

He CAN work with players watching film, and off the field. So I would envision him working with specific players ... punter, kickers, return guys ... and some on field coach(es) to address specific tactics, and point out things to avoid. I did read that the NCAA is looking into a Nebraska situation reported as a ST Analyst violating the "no coaching" rule ... he was let go in January. Beamer used to give ST a lot of personal attention ... maybe Gattis will as well as mentioned by canecrazy23.

We have made plans to never punt again.

How about you search the site for "Dennis Smith"?
This triggered an old memory please let me share:

Back many years ago John Madden did a ALL TIME NFL offense team list of players.
Zonka
Jim Brown
Johnny U
You get my drift here , assembled all them in a locker and a reporter asked this.

No Ray Guy punter 47 yard average Hall of Fame he changed the game of field position with one leg.

John Madden said young man look all around you in this locker room, WE DON’T PUNT.

Just a little story . Thank you

Advertisement
This triggered an old memory please let me share:

Back many years ago John Madden did a ALL TIME NFL offense team list of players.
Zonka
Jim Brown
Johnny U
You get my drift here , assembled all them in a locker and a reporter asked this.

No Ray Guy punter 47 yard average Hall of Fame he changed the game of field position with one leg.

John Madden said young man look all around you in this locker room, WE DON’T PUNT.

Just a little story . Thank you

While that is a funny story, this one is even funnier.

Ray Guy was drafted in the FIRST ROUND by the Oakland Raiders in 1973. The head coach of the Oakland Raiders in 1973 was John Madden.

**** meng my bad

So maybe, just maybe, I wasn't being passive-aggressive after all. I was trying to be humorous (never punting again) while giving you the name and suggesting that there were numerous other threads on the ST coach situation. No need to assume the worst in people.

It's alright though, I don't take things that seriously and I'm quick to forgive, unlike some of the dipsh!tes on this board (and thread).

Advertisement
Back