Spring Scrimmage #2

Advertisement
Please Manny...don't do it. Don't tell us Wiggins has stepped it up and will be a starter. Or that Cam is above Chaney and knighton. Please don't do it. Make the right move.

- Signed a loyal fan
Don’t do it to yourself...

Just get comfortable with the idea that a lot of the starters from last year will more than likely start & play a lot this year.

If you’re expecting a huge overhaul of starters on both sides of the ball, that’s just not going to happen, regardless of how naive most fans are & how much denial they wrap themselves up in, they’re running it back with the same group except give or take a few transfers inserted in a different spots.

I got no problem with the RB’s, Cam despite not being a fan favorite is a more than serviceable Back & can give us very good quality carries, plus we know Chaney & Knighton will get their opportunities when they’re healthy, no issue there.

But some of yall hoping against hope that Wiggs & Pope won’t play or will be surpassed by the younger WR’s are gonna be disappointed. And if you thought a the trio of TF’s were coming in & taking snaps away in the Fall, nope lol.

Same on Defense, McCloud is going to play & a lot, so is Ivey, so is Jennings, so is Amari & the rest.

Just come to terms with it. Honestly I don’t even think it’s that bad, cause at the end of the day the only person who will be held responsible is Manuelito. This season falls squarely on his shoulders, we sink or swim with his decisions, so if he’s betting the house on “eXpEriEnCeD” players even if they’re limited in ability, then so be it, let him have it. Here won’t be any excuses to fall back on this time around, the well has run dry...

At the end of the day, the team is still talented enough to win 10 games & the Coastal, if we don’t, there’s only one person to blame for it.

1618061701813.png

1 Donaldson = 2 Garcias

Don’t do it to yourself...

Just get comfortable with the idea that a lot of the starters from last year will more than likely start & play a lot this year.

If you’re expecting a huge overhaul of starters on both sides of the ball, that’s just not going to happen, regardless of how naive most fans are & how much denial they wrap themselves up in, they’re running it back with the same group except give or take a few transfers inserted in a different spots.

I got no problem with the RB’s, Cam despite not being a fan favorite is a more than serviceable Back & can give us very good quality carries, plus we know Chaney & Knighton will get their opportunities when they’re healthy, no issue there.

But some of yall hoping against hope that Wiggs & Pope won’t play or will be surpassed by the younger WR’s are gonna be disappointed. And if you thought a the trio of TF’s were coming in & taking snaps away in the Fall, nope lol.

Same on Defense, McCloud is going to play & a lot, so is Ivey, so is Jennings, so is Amari & the rest.

Just come to terms with it. Honestly I don’t even think it’s that bad, cause at the end of the day the only person who will be held responsible is Manuelito. This season falls squarely on his shoulders, we sink or swim with his decisions, so if he’s betting the house on “eXpEriEnCeD” players even if they’re limited in ability, then so be it, let him have it. Here won’t be any excuses to fall back on this time around, the well has run dry...

At the end of the day, the team is still talented enough to win 10 games & the Coastal, if we don’t, there’s only one person to blame for it.
Outside of X we haven’t seen any stats that would lead us to think the younger WRs are ready for a larger role up to this point. We don’t have any 5 star day one starters coming in the fall either. I would hedge my money on the older guys the first half of season. Several games of good tape from Pope and Wiggins. As a whole, we don’t perform to our potential in big games.

I don’t know what fans expect but outside of LT, JW and Chase I don’t see any freshman being day one contributors on defense. I do doubt Amari plays a lot this year and Mccloud plays in situational moments.

The game of the year is UNC in October. That’s game that will decide Manny’s tenure here. Play whoever but win that game.

As someone starved for O-line news, I'm still waiting for some signs that their experience, off season lifting and expectations translated this spring just a little better than: "Manny Diaz said defense dominated line of scrimmage in first half but O-line opened up holes in second half." Particularly when the D's front 7 is the lesser experienced unit.

The Canes can't continue being a slow starting team (Bowl Game). They need to establish a running game early this season - so they don't play them selves out of games before they get warmed up.
I think the OL will be

LT - Nelson
LG - Clark
C - Gaynor
RG - Donaldson
RT - Scaife

Wouldn’t be my personal 5, but I think that’s what the coaches will roll out with for the first few weeks of the season.

Will they be better? Maybe, probably not against teams with a legit pass rush, but against the rest of the ACC will be enough to give King time go through his progressions & find an open target. The run game should at least see a modicum improvement with Donaldson back in the lineup.

I think the OL will be somewhat better than last year, but overall still have some issues dealing with speed against teams with a good front 7 attack.

Advertisement
Outside of X we haven’t seen any stats that would lead us to think the younger WRs are ready for a larger role up to this point. We don’t have any 5 star day one starters coming in the fall either. I would hedge my money on the older guys the first half of season. Several games of good tape from Pope and Wiggins. As a whole, we don’t perform to our potential in big games.

I don’t know what fans expect but outside of LT, JW and Chase I don’t see any freshman being day one contributors on defense. I do doubt Amari plays a lot this year and Mccloud plays in situational moments.

The game of the year is UNC in October. That’s game that will decide Manny’s tenure here. Play whoever but win that game.
There’s only way to know if they’re ready...

I think the OL will be

LT - Nelson
LG - Clark
C - Gaynor
RG - Donaldson
RT - Scaife

Wouldn’t be my personal 5, but I think that’s what the coaches will roll out with for the first few weeks of the season.

Will they be better? Maybe, probably not against teams with a legit pass rush, but against the rest of the ACC will be enough to give King time go through his progressions & find an open target. The run game should at least see a modicum improvement with Donaldson back in the lineup.

I think the OL will be somewhat better than last year, but overall still have some issues dealing with speed against teams with a good front 7 attack.
I’d move Clark to C, Williams to T for Scaife, and ether Rivers or Campbell at G.

Nelson-T
Campbell/Rivers-G
Clark-C
Donaldson-G
Williams-T

Advertisement
Do we want to play off potential or what we have seen in practice or scrimmages? I’m firm believer you either make plays or not. We are seeing it with Garcia. He’s elite. The offense is designed for WRs to put up stats and it’s concerning none of the WRs since last year have done anything of note to gain playing time. If you are indeed that guy you should be able to take a spot immediately but you have to prove it in practice.

I think the OL will be

LT - Nelson
LG - Clark
C - Gaynor
RG - Donaldson
RT - Scaife

Scaife over Williams? The ONE clip I saw was Scaife being beaten off the edge by McCloud. I guess the staff is pushing Williams for more in the run game, but Scaife is far from physical. And Clark holds off Rivers? As you said, maybe for the first few weeks. Justice already hedged that Rivers would at least be in the mix (rotation?)
Glad Donaldson's back, but would hate to see if he hadn't been 'on a diet'.

I kind of figured
pope and Wiggins were still going to play a ton this season when after the 1st week hearing nothing but praise for K.Smith and him starting the first few practices,now we hear nothing from him and Manny has mentioned a few times how he has nice future here,as in not this year.

Advertisement
View attachment 145440
1 Donaldson = 2 Garcias
Agreed. ****, he dwarfs JHH. At a glance it looks like BIG Vaughn is landing a punch on JHH, but since I can't see 55's right arm I presume he's hit JHH's elbow and pushed the DL's hand back into his own facemask. So in essence JHH is punching himself in the face (with a little help from a BIG man). Thought child abuse was illegal?

Do we want to play off potential or what we have seen in practice or scrimmages? I’m firm believer you either make plays or not. We are seeing it with Garcia. He’s elite. The offense is designed for WRs to put up stats and it’s concerning none of the WRs since last year have done anything of note to gain playing time. If you are indeed that guy you should be able to take a spot immediately but you have to prove it in practice.
If you only get 2nd & 3rd team reps in practice & scrimmages then there’s no way for you to take anybody’s spot.
And if you’re a firm believer in you either make plays or not, then Pope & Wiggs should be the last 2 guys you’d want to see out there lol.

It’s a dog chasing it’s tail, you guys see with your own eyes how bad our WR’s can & have been in actual games, multiple games at that, but then your solution to that problem is to keep playing them lol, but then when someone dares suggest we play someone else you guys will come up with every reason under the sun to stick with the same guys who drop a sh*t ton of passes, miss routes & come up small in every big game we play.

All I’m saying is, we’ve seen enough bad play from at least 2 WR’s that they shouldn’t be guaranteed the high volume reps they get in every practice, I’m not saying hand it over to a younger WR just for the sake of doing it, I’m saying doing the same thing over & over again expecting a different result is insanity.

My argument is play the best players regardless of their or experience, yalls argument is play the upperclassmen because the young guys are never ready even if the upperclassmen have shown they’re not that good. Yall basically are just saying, “just give the older guys a shot to see if they eventually get good” & I’m basically saying, “just give the young guys a shot to see if they eventually get good” lol.

Advertisement
If you only get 2nd & 3rd team reps in practice & scrimmages then there’s no way for you to take anybody’s spot.
And if you’re a firm believer in you either make plays or not, then Pope & Wiggs should be the last 2 guys you’d want to see out there lol.

It’s a dog chasing it’s tail, you guys see with your own eyes how bad our WR’s can & have been in actual games, multiple games at that, but then your solution to that problem is to keep playing them lol, but then when someone dares suggest we play someone else you guys will come up with every reason under the sun to stick with the same guys who drop a sh*t ton of passes, miss routes & come up small in every big game we play.

All I’m saying is, we’ve seen enough bad play from at least 2 WR’s that they shouldn’t be guaranteed the high volume reps they get in every practice, I’m not saying hand it over to a younger WR just for the sake of doing it, I’m saying doing the same thing over & over agains expecting a different result is insanity.

My argument is play the best players regardless of their or experience, yalls argument is play the upperclassmen because the young guys are never ready even if the upperclassmen have shown they’re not that good. Yall basically are just saying, “just give the older guys a shot to see if they eventually get good” & I’m basically saying, “just give the young guys a shot to see if they eventually get good” lol.
If Keyshawn transfers we riot..just sayin'.

All I’m saying is, we’ve seen enough bad play from at least 2 WR’s that they shouldn’t be guaranteed the high volume reps they get in every practice, I’m not saying hand it over to a younger WR just for the sake of doing it, I’m saying doing the same thing over & over agains expecting a different result is insanity.

That’s not my argument. Lol. I believe in playing the best but clearly none of the younger guys are making plays except for X. WE ARE NOT recruiting elite players at WR. That’s the issue. I’m highlighting Wiggins balled in this scrimmage but no stats from K Smith or Redding. That’s the issue. We are assuming these guys are better bc of potential.

You think a guy that can’t make plays in a meaningless scrimmage game is ready for Bama or UNC????? Who’s going to ball against elite competition on the roster??? I don’t care for potential or what could be. Show me the ballers on the roster. I’m not saying Pope or Wiggins are either but clearly the younger guys aren’t much better. Again WE ARE NOT recruiting elite players at WR.

I think the OL will be

LT - Nelson
LG - Clark
C - Gaynor
RG - Donaldson
RT - Scaife

I hope you're right - this group needs to show the type improvement this amount of time together should be showing. Three years in with some of these guys and they are still moving pieces around trying to find the best fit for individual players. That's seldom good sign with O-lines.

Scaife over Williams? The ONE clip I saw was Scaife being beaten off the edge by McCloud. I guess the staff is pushing Williams for more in the run game, but Scaife is far from physical. And Clark holds off Rivers? As you said, maybe for the first few weeks. Justice already hedged that Rivers would at least be in the mix (rotation?)
Glad Donaldson's back, but would hate to see if he hadn't been 'on a diet'.
I would start Williams at RT, but I’m not so sure if the staff will, they seem to like Scaife quite a bit, so we’ll see.

I would start Rivers, but Clark has more experience & has actual game starts, so my guess they’ll lean on Clark in the beginning of the season & see how he holds up before putting Rivers in.

Again, I thought I said that’s what I think the staff will roll with, not my personal starting 5 lol.

Advertisement
Back