Spring Scrimmage #2

Outside of X we haven’t seen any stats that would lead us to think the younger WRs are ready for a larger role up to this point. We don’t have any 5 star day one starters coming in the fall either. I would hedge my money on the older guys the first half of season. Several games of good tape from Pope and Wiggins. As a whole, we don’t perform to our potential in big games.

I don’t know what fans expect but outside of LT, JW and Chase I don’t see any freshman being day one contributors on defense. I do doubt Amari plays a lot this year and Mccloud plays in situational moments.

The game of the year is UNC in October. That’s game that will decide Manny’s tenure here. Play whoever but win that game.
This scrimmage for some reason has zero Restrepo....but plenty of Dee Wiggins and Mark Pope for you though. AMAZING.

Advertisement
Wiggly not going down without a fight!...

I mean he’d probably hit the ground anyway because that’s what he does anytime he has the slightest bit on contact, but you get what I mean!

Hopefully he ca make a jump like Harley did.

More importantly I want to see Lashlee design and implement plays that account for the exact strength of the players.

You got a long fast guy who can take the top off a defense but his speed gets negated by press coverage. Why not cut his reps back and install some plays that put him in motion and give him a shot at a free release. He murdered fsu when wide open and I think he can murder other teams if we use him right.

We all want alpha dogs that do everything well, but we aren’t there yet at some positions. Let’s tweak the system to account for the strengths and weaknesses guys have now.

If you scheme it right Wiggins can give you 2 or 3 game changing catches and he doesn’t have to eat all the reps from younger more well rounded guys.

Watched it on a Jet Blue flight and was warned to calm down several times.
A3A88919-685A-407B-9096-A7D48D00B368.gif

Donaldson still looks too big IMO. But I concede he looks a lot stronger. Hopefully he drops another 20lbs regardless. It's his money year.

20 pounds?

He drops 20 pounds on his morning shlt.

He looks massive, he looks like he’s pushing 380 or more, to me. Just from that one picture. You could line up three Garcias next to each other and still wouldn’t cover him.

He’s massive. Now how much weight does he need to lose? I have no idea. maybe not much, I sure don’t know. But I’m pretty sure that 20 pounds wouldn’t make a **** of a lot of difference.

Look at the size of this guy:

4F264516-ACDC-4310-99D7-1E3A204C1AEA.jpeg

Advertisement
20 pounds?

He looks massive, he looks like he’s pushing 380 or more, to me. Just from that one picture. You could line up three Garcias next to each other and still wouldn’t cover him.

He’s massive. Now how much weight does he need to lose? I have no idea. maybe not much, I sure don’t know. But I’m pretty sure that 20 pounds wouldn’t make a **** of a lot of difference.

View attachment 145475
Definitely a double flusher

20 pounds?

View attachment 145475
The funniest thing is that the tackles a$$ looks like its still part of Donaldson's :LOL:

Advertisement

Historically, during our best years, the defenses usually dominated scrimmages in spring and fall. That was during the '80's. When we had most of our best teams. And it would often be by a lot. I do remember some scrimmages where the press reported 11 or 12 sacks in a scrimmage. Now, I don't even know if they count sacks. I guess the defenses are not allowed to hit QBs and I don't know if they were back then. So, I don't know whether we are getting a complete picture of our defensive performance, particularly on passing plays.

I don't know if that pattern still holds true. But I wouldn't be misled or disappointed if we see more of the defense ahead of the offense in practices.

I actually like that idea. We usually always get caught off-guard, as to why our defense allowed a td off a trick play tonight. Gotta teach them to be on alert in ANY situation.
We gave up TDs on trick plays in two bowl games in which we won the NC. Both were fumblerooski's. One by Nebraska in '84 OB and the other in'88 OB by Oklahoma. It simply showed the inability of those two teams to do much against us offensively.

After the '84 OB, our DT, Fred Robinson, said it was kind of "bush league" for Nebraska to have to resort to that kind of play. Fred was a heroic defender in that game, just like the rest of our DLs. He was a DT who weighed around maybe 230, if that, and faced what was then a massive OL for Nebraska. Our other DT, Kevin ***an, who was by then around 260 or 270, said later that when he first lined up against Nebraska, he saw himself facing the largest human being he had ever seen. He was probably facing a Nebraska guard or tackle who was in the 300 lb range. Back then, linemen were not that big.

One of the stoutest of all was Tony Fitzpatrick, a MG who was around 240, according to the roster. He had to face one of the best centers in college football, Mark Traynowicz, a consensus A-A and the first player taken in the second round of the NFL draft.

So, some of our best defenses have been suckered by trick plays. I'd worry more if Manny's defenses get suckered by regular plays. Like what happened with UNC last year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We gave up TDs on trick plays in two bowl games in which we won the NC. Both were fumblerooski's. One by Nebraska in '84 OB and the other in'88 OB by Oklahoma. It simply showed the inability of those two teams to do much against us offensively.

After the '84 OB, our DT, Fred Robinson, said it was kind of "bush league" for Nebraska to have to resort to that kind of play. Fred was a heroic defender in that game, just like the rest of our DLs. He was a DT who weighed around maybe 230, if that, and faced what was then a massive OL for Nebraska. Our other DT, Kevin ***an, who was by then around 260 or 270, said later that when he first lined up against Nebraska, he saw himself facing the largest human being he had ever seen. He was probably facing a Nebraska guard or tackle who was in the 300 lb range. Back then, linemen were not that big.

One of the stoutest of all was Tony Fitzpatrick, a MG who was around 240, according to the roster. He had to face one of the best centers in college football, Mark Traynowicz, a consensus A-A and the first player taken in the second round of the NFL draft.

So, some of our best defenses have been suckered by trick plays. I'd worry more if Manny's defenses get suckered by regular plays. Like what happened with UNC last year.
I mean... I'm sure we all know what's Manny's main concern for the defense. Would you rather us not ever practice defending trick plays?? And I know I focused only on the defensive side but.... Yah know, at some point our offense has to practice trick plays in order for them to work lol. Sheesh

Don’t do it to yourself...

Just get comfortable with the idea that a lot of the starters from last year will more than likely start & play a lot this year.

If you’re expecting a huge overhaul of starters on both sides of the ball, that’s just not going to happen, regardless of how naive most fans are & how much denial they wrap themselves up in, they’re running it back with the same group except give or take a few transfers inserted in a different spots.

I got no problem with the RB’s, Cam despite not being a fan favorite is a more than serviceable Back & can give us very good quality carries, plus we know Chaney & Knighton will get their opportunities when they’re healthy, no issue there.

But some of yall hoping against hope that Wiggs & Pope won’t play or will be surpassed by the younger WR’s are gonna be disappointed. And if you thought a the trio of TF’s were coming in & taking snaps away in the Fall, nope lol.

Same on Defense, McCloud is going to play & a lot, so is Ivey, so is Jennings, so is Amari & the rest.

Just come to terms with it. Honestly I don’t even think it’s that bad, cause at the end of the day the only person who will be held responsible is Manuelito. This season falls squarely on his shoulders, we sink or swim with his decisions, so if he’s betting the house on “eXpEriEnCeD” players even if they’re limited in ability, then so be it, let him have it. Here won’t be any excuses to fall back on this time around, the well has run dry...

At the end of the day, the team is still talented enough to win 10 games & the Coastal, if we don’t, there’s only one person to blame for it.
While I agree with some older players playing I think we’ll see a bunch of younger playing too; and good minutes as well. That’s Manny’s only cop out this season. Otherwise he has zero excuses if he brings out only those senior players who are mostly ineffective. It’s a death sentence if he tries. He won’t make it to Game #4 if he thinks he can outsmart our fan base.

93D13074-FEAF-4999-BA38-234620A13127.jpeg
6F4803A4-075F-4686-A357-D09579885C67.jpeg
409A18C0-B79E-44E2-9276-206C1F190406.jpeg

Restrepo blocking for Rambo in the first pic.

I think Rambo will be better than KJ Osborn was for us when transferred here, I think his big play ability will separate him from the rest of the WR group.

Harley will still be the safety blanket for King, but Rambo will be the big play game breaker that stretches the field.

And Steed looks like he was getting around the corner on Herbert.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back