Spring Spring PractiSe 9 : Closed scrimmage

There will be NO freelancing on coach Steele’s defense. You’re going to see aggressive discipline or they won’t get many snaps with coach Steele as DC. I remember him running off more than a few players that he didn’t recruit.
Well see if that equates to improved the play. Pass rush needs to get home and finish plays. LBs need to be better. Tackling in the secondary needs to be more consistent. Personnel vs Scheme under manny is the question. I still feel we need to add to the LBs and CBS through the 3rd transfer portal wave post spring camp. If this can turn into a top 40-50 defense overall but stout in situationals we could be in for a 10 plus win szn. But as it stands The personnel rn..I’m not betting on that. Tbh man I’m more focused on how the recruiting is/will be on a whole different level

Advertisement
Every year we all know the holes coming into the off-season and somehow think they’ll be magically plugged by players getting better. Yes that can happen. But experience tells me to expect the worst while hoping for the best.

The things that pleasantly surprise me about Macho’s writeup and the other snippets I’ve read (no particular order) :
* Keontra
* Thaddeus
* JW closer to the line
* TVD accuracy and confidence
* George
* Arroyo (I knew he would be a stud just not so soon)

The things that didn’t surprise me:
* No clear Rambo replacement
* No breakaway talent at LB
* No true rush defender anywhere across DE, DT and LB that’s ready to go.
* Talent gaps especially behind the 1s

The things I had hoped we would fix but still haven’t:
* MLB
* NG with burst
* RT (I realize this one is debatable)

Maybe Couch and Porter can be 2/3 CBs and coaches can bring the other guys along during the season. Maybe Agude can get his technique down to get a step faster for sacks and pressures. Maybe Scaife or Campbell or McLaughlin or Oluwaseun can be that RT we need.

Still too many question marks and holes to be super confident about the season. Optimistic yes. Confident no. Good news is Mario knows all of the above too and is a relentless builder. We still have time.
Great post. I'd also add that Huff getting reps at Safety is interesting. Hoping real coaching will help him contribute

Are we shoo in favorites to win the Coastal...probably not.

But is the talent disparity that big between us and UNC-Pitt-UVA-GT-VT-Duke? Absolutely not, so we'll be fine.

Advertisement
I don’t see elite with LT. Hope he proves me wrong. Seems like a tweener. Not big enough for DT and and not explosive/twitchy enough for DE in a 3-4.

There I said it. Can be a very solid player but I don’t see all-American NFL talent.
Yeah ok. Well Idk if ur drunk or blind so I’ll just leave it at that

There will be NO freelancing on coach Steele’s defense. You’re going to see aggressive discipline or they won’t get many snaps with coach Steele as DC. I remember him running off more than a few players that he didn’t recruit.

I love that term ''aggressive discipline'', which is the very antithesis of what really the Diaz system was...

Advertisement
TVD was a JAG according to most last year at this time

Shrug

Info is great. It’s a new system and new coaches. There will be growing pains

I’m not worried about LT at all. I am worried about the front 7 as a group though but that’s no secret

It’s the best staff we’ve seen here in 20 years so there’s a long way to go
Not to me he wasn't....I kept telling People not to sleep on him.....

Alex, regarding Manny's usage of the IPF to me was another example of him making things easier for the player,s instead of harder -- which to me, is a part of conditioning the body and mind of a team.

This is the problem when you have someone in charge who yearns so badly to be liked by the players...
That pizzed be off i swear. If there is not rain or lightning we should never practice in there. We should make home games horrible for teams because even if its not sunny its humid af. They should be thinking about getn on that bus and hitting the airport. Not dancing in our end zone. Mentality is the first step in building a great team.

Every year we all know the holes coming into the off-season and somehow think they’ll be magically plugged by players getting better. Yes that can happen. But experience tells me to expect the worst while hoping for the best.

The things that pleasantly surprise me about Macho’s writeup and the other snippets I’ve read (no particular order) :
* Keontra
* Thaddeus
* JW closer to the line
* TVD accuracy and confidence
* George
* Arroyo (I knew he would be a stud just not so soon)

The things that didn’t surprise me:
* No clear Rambo replacement
* No breakaway talent at LB
* No true rush defender anywhere across DE, DT and LB that’s ready to go.
* Talent gaps especially behind the 1s

The things I had hoped we would fix but still haven’t:
* MLB
* NG with burst
* RT (I realize this one is debatable)

Maybe Couch and Porter can be 2/3 CBs and coaches can bring the other guys along during the season. Maybe Agude can get his technique down to get a step faster for sacks and pressures. Maybe Scaife or Campbell or McLaughlin or Oluwaseun can be that RT we need.

Still too many question marks and holes to be super confident about the season. Optimistic yes. Confident no. Good news is Mario knows all of the above too and is a relentless builder. We still have time.
MLB won’t be a problem and this is not just dad talk. Trust me, if we stay healthy we good. Would be smart to bring in someone after spring because you never know what the future holds though.

Advertisement
Knew a guy back in the day who would do missions at our “sister high school” in Haiti - ended up bringing a girl back, married her like a good little Catholic, caught her one day “red handed” playing those games - still makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time I think about it.
1649015072196.gif

Advertisement
Not to me he wasn't....I kept telling People not to sleep on him.....
It was interesting because the vibe from most stuff practice was that he was a good game manager. Nothing wow-ing people

Jake was new on campus and he was the gunslinger and a lot of people had TVD 3rd behind Garcia and King

Then TVD got in the game and got settled and dude was the epitome of a gunslinger and the furthest thing from a game manager lol

The practice stuff is great and the info is always appreciated. I just take it with a grain of salt at this point since there’s so much further to go with this new team

Definitely exciting

Advertisement
Back