Spring Spring PractiSe 9 : Closed scrimmage

Yall aint learn from last year about hyping man up or downing other players for ones who have consistently shown to be bad. When the season starts the same players who have shown flashes will be the ones doing it. And we will also.
Find out pretty quickly we need more of them. In spring the defense knows the offensive schemes and vica versa. U cannot tell too much from that at all.

Advertisement
I am not sure where the LT/Wilfork stuff started, but if you are comparing players to all timers be prepared to be disappointed. That is an unfair comparison to make of any d-lineman. He's a generational talent, not even a once-a-decade guy.
He’s better than Wilfork, Howie Long and Aaron Donald combined. That’s his floor. Should have started 2 years ago for Miami. ******* Manny.

Yall aint learn from last year about hyping man up or downing other players for ones who have consistently shown to be bad. When the season starts the same players who have shown flashes will be the ones doing it. And we will also.
Find out pretty quickly we need more of them. In spring the defense knows the offensive schemes and vica versa. U cannot tell too much from that at all.
TVD was a JAG according to most last year at this time

Shrug

Info is great. It’s a new system and new coaches. There will be growing pains

I’m not worried about LT at all. I am worried about the front 7 as a group though but that’s no secret

It’s the best staff we’ve seen here in 20 years so there’s a long way to go

LOL . . . I thought that reports of unwanted observers asked to leave was the stuff of legends. Not so.

I walked over after the gym yesterday to catch a few minutes and after 5 minutes, I was [politely] asked to leave. (Who is even looking out for me?!) I guess this is where we insert the joke that even Mario's security team is leaps and bounds ahead of Manny's :)

Too bad because I had great timing. Got to see 6 7 on 7 reps and the start of scrimmaging before I was booted.

I won't say 1st team, 2nd team because I don't know but you can judge units presumably based on grouping . . .

7 on 7 . . . I saw 2 reps of each QB . . .

-TVD completed a beautiful--maybe 20-25 yard?--seam pass to Arroyo from the slot for a TD. I couldn't see who was in primary coverage but 0 was also there and neither defender could do a **** thing. Just a gorgeous pitch and catch. Wow moment.
-Garcia came in after and took a shot to Redding into the corner EZ that was well covered (incomplete). The next play was a short pass to Ladson that I believe he dropped. I had a pretty crappy view so maybe it was tipped?
-Small sample size, but Jacurri was nowhere near as decisive and quick with the football as either 9 or 13. On the first play, he ended up dumping it off to the RB. On the second, he did not get it off in time. In real time, he's sacked on both plays or taking off himself.

11 on 11 . . . I only saw maybe 4-5 plays. (You can thank security I don't have more insightful notes for all you paying customers of this site!)

-The 1st grouping with TVD was Parrish, X, Smith . . . could not see other WR.
-Starters . . . on D line, it was 55 91 and 33. Secondary was 15 0 29 23 and yes 8. I presume Harvey was the other starter but it moved fast.
-I did not see 56 in during the drive.
-I did see 95 at end who subbed in for 33 presumably. Davis looks smaller just by comparison's sake than Chantz. I wonder if he's a tweener type?
-X caught a short pass (may have been 1st play) and did X things: he broke the 1st tackle and then fought 4 defenders to gain an extra half yard. Dude is a wild dog.
-Keontra picked off TVD which drew a huge response from the D unit.

I posted this in another thread and it was correctly pointed out that it's a small sample size; that said, my recollection is that Manny utilized the IPF maybe even exclusively, at least in the mornings. I don't even recall having the chance to sneak a peek or 2 like I have the last several weeks. I don't want to disparage Manny, but I agree with Mario's approach to hold practice outside. (Everything has been outside under Mario.) I always understood the purpose of the IPF was in the event of bad weather. It should NOT be a substitute for playing outdoors. We play outside and have to utilize that to our advantage. We should not have games like MSU where the cold-weather team is getting stronger as the game wears on as compared to us. (Admittedly, they were also more physical, but the point stands-we got to be better than the other team acclimating to the heat.)

Alex, regarding Manny's usage of the IPF to me was another example of him making things easier for the player,s instead of harder -- which to me, is a part of conditioning the body and mind of a team.

This is the problem when you have someone in charge who yearns so badly to be liked by the players...

It’s displaced aggression towards the people who reported it and have access. LT is being coached properly now, so his bad habits are standing out and being addressed, that’s it, it’s a GREAT thing.

Dudes have to get used to the changes Mario is gonna bring in every single facet. Drummond on Greentree is GREAT news. Mario communicating with Luke is GREAT news. All the players back is GREAT news. There is no coincidence that these things were not occurring while we sucked. There’s two or three sides to every story. Mario loved the U so much that he is making sure not to fight on a possible lie like Slim Charles suggested or the events of the Red Summer of 1919. I’m sooooo glad he is our Coach, this is one of those reasons why, that would usually not be recognized. It takes nothing from you to respect people. It takes nothing but simple gestures to unite the community around this U. Show them that they will be acknowledged and they are valued. Do we not understand what the alternative to doing this is. Haven’t y’all had enough of the fake bravado stuff??? In its most simplest and honest form, some of Luke’s arguments had legs, but his execution in calling attention to it and articulating it was HORRIBLE!

I’m so glad this dude is our coach. In any other community, you have to go thru the men to get their sons. Mario is ok with this. He is ok with Footballville having access and a voice. We about to make it where the kids down there don’t want to hear ish about or from no **** SEC schools. Ain’t that what we all wanted?? It just takes mutual respect and an open ear.
Sorry man that was too positive of a post and those ****’ s in which you refer to can’t handle the truth and don’t want to hear the truth. They thrive on negativity.

Advertisement

Shrug

I’m not worried about LT at all. I am worried about the front 7 as a group though but that’s no secret

He also deserved the criticism he got during rough starts. Posters are creating battles this Spring like people want to bench him vs hoping he rolls AND let’s see what Garcia looks like coming back from being out…

Almost like we all like to argue…

@Coach Macho I'm glad someone is willing to say it with James Williams. Great player, but not a very gifted deep safety especially in the single high role. Avantae is going to be our man there and he really stands out in it I think
FActs no need to force James in single high when we have someone like Tae! Really wish James would play linebacker imagine him and chase smith with Wes an keotra backing them up at LB an Tae and kitchens at safety!!! That would be so much speed an a young D that could grow too that would dominate IMO!!! And when Wes was ready move JWill to Star and Safety different packages just with him closer to the LOS!

If there is a fair comparison for Taylor, it would be William Joseph for me. Similar size. Both very quick and present problems for guards when rushing the passer. Joseph also played outside some which we could do back then because we had enough talent at d-tackle to slide him out.
Taylor would be nice to move in and out but we don’t have enough DT to do that.

Shrug

Lmao what? Yeah, Garcia was a touted recruit coming in, and everyone predicted he would likely win the battle over TVD to be King's back up. But "this time last year", after the first scrimmage and the first couple weeks of practice...everyone said that TVD and Garcia was neck and neck for 2nd string, and that TVD had the edge between the 2.

Advertisement
Alex, regarding Manny's usage of the IPF to me was another example of him making things easier for the player,s instead of harder -- which to me, is a part of conditioning the body and mind of a team.

This is the problem when you have someone in charge who yearns so badly to be liked by the players...
Have we even practiced indoors at all since Mario has been here?

K Rodgers at CB too!
Listen I know we still need to recruit at a higher level, and I know we need more talent all over to be a top 5-7 program and compete for playoffs and titles.

People keep bringing up the DL, LB, and CB but remember we are down:

Roberts
Moultrie
Ugude
Kelly
Chase Smith
Stevenson
Porter
Graves
Harris

I think there is a chance all of these guys play and many of them start. If you add them to the defense it looks a lot different. Not where we can get to with Mario through big time recruiting, but greatly improves that chance of 8-10 wins and Coastal.

Advertisement
Steele is a pretty aggressive DC when it comes to his Front 7. I don’t think it will take too much of a adjustment tbh. It’s still a 4 man front. I think we had some guys the past 2 szn doing tooo much freelancing tho
There will be NO freelancing on coach Steele’s defense. You’re going to see aggressive discipline or they won’t get many snaps with coach Steele as DC. I remember him running off more than a few players that he didn’t recruit.

Advertisement
Lmao what? Yeah, Garcia was a touted recruit coming in, and everyone predicted he would likely win the battle over TVD to be King's back up. But "this time last year", after the first scrimmage and the first couple weeks of practice...everyone said that TVD and Garcia was neck and neck for 2nd string, and that TVD had the edge between the 2.
Yeah it’s really not hard to go back and check receipts

But I’m already bored of debating this with you because it doesn’t matter so whatever

He also deserved the criticism he got during rough starts. Posters are creating battles this Spring like people want to bench him vs hoping he rolls AND let’s see what Garcia looks like coming back from being out…

Almost like we all like to argue…
I don’t want to add gas to the fire about LT but there was a lot of weird stuff going on last year with him

His talent was pretty obvious when he got on the field

But with such a drastic shift in overall leadership on this team there’s going to be some things to watch out for for sure

I don’t want to add gas to the fire about LT but there was a lot of weird stuff going on last year with him

His talent was pretty obvious when he got on the field

But with such a drastic shift in overall leadership on this team there’s going to be some things to watch out for for sure
The real fail in leadership is that he isn’t a hall of famer yet, isn’t the starting center for Coach L and isn’t batting clean up for Gino..😎

Advertisement
Back