Official Spring PractiSe #4: Tuesday, March 21

If you can recruit lbs that can run like safeties or safeties that can hit like lbs I believe you can.

Closest we have come is the early 90’s team that played Houston’s run and shoot team.

We had lbs blanketing wrs all game with no issues at all.

That defense could hold its own in today’s game.
I remember that game well and I agree with your opinion.

Advertisement
Question for the Guru's.

Could the 4/3 base D we played back in the NC years work in today's game?
The modern 4-2-5 is just a 4-3 but it replaces a WLB with a nickel player. The nickel, star, striker, whatever they call it is usually a safety type that can cover receivers and play the run like an athletic linebacker. The coverages are different than what we used a lot in the old days though. You’ll get killed trying to play anything with two deep safeties. Most defenses stay in a single high look (cover 3, cover 1)because you need the help closer to the line of scrimmage. They didn’t have the variety of run plays from shotgun/spread formations 30 years ago that they do today. And the short/ intermediate passing game wasn’t what it is now

Completely missed McCoy getting hurt. Would have liked to see him out there competing simply because he is one of the few true OT bodies that we have.
I feel like he's been out the same amount of time as Zion, but maybe he can just redshirt and live in the weight room for a year

That can’t be right.

Pate is an idiot.
To be fair our OL is dog**** and he isn't exactly competing against anyone with a pulse. Not ideal but better to learn on the field than sideline.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Starting as early and undeveloped as he was...not his fault...Manuela's 100%. I believe it waa a big blow to him mentally being as bad as he was for as long as he was.

Even today and 100% healthy he doesn't make 2-deep on legitimate top 10 OL unit.
He came in undersized with no senior leadership. He was forced to gain weight and had his development rushed. I don't think those comparisons are similar because Zion likely has stayed injured due to that. Francis physically is not similar in any compacity to Zion. Zion improved after that horrendous freshmen year maybe not to the extent CIS believed but he wasn't the same reject (pass blocking wise) as 2018.

Starting as early and undeveloped as he was...not his fault...Manuela's 100%. I believe it waa a big blow to him mentally being as bad as he was for as long as he was.

Even today and 100% healthy he doesn't make 2-deep on legitimate top 10 OL unit.
I think people really underestimate the toll it takes on starting players that aren't ready as true freshmen. The vast majority of 17-18 year old teenagers don't have the means nor access to the quality training and nutrition it takes to get to the next level.

It's like letting a player play before they are 100% after a big injury. It can ruin the confidence which ruins their play on the field.

Rivers will be supplanted by Okunlola. If that’s near the end of spring, fall camp, or in the season is obviously going to come down to how well Okunlola shows out in pads.

By the end of the year, it’ll be
LT - Okunlola
LG - Cohen
C - Lee
RG - Cooper (he’s showing he’s all business transforming his body)
RT - Mauigoa

I dont care how ling Rivers or Nelson have been here, how many starts they have, or what they’ve in the past.

I don’t think the coaches care and you shouldn’t either.

Nelson and Rivers don’t win you titles. Players like Mauigoa and Okunlola do.
Lmao

We also haven't gotten guys like Stevenson and Phillips the last year+.

Cohen pretty close. Then you have a cast of solid contributors who admittedly aren't first to third rounders. Maybe Messidor can sneak into round three with a great season? ... Here's hoping we get a true WR#1 in the next two months. All will be forgiven if so! ... Well much will be forgiven, anyway.

More like Crying MAO if we are dealing with two true freshmen starting at OT and a second year in Cooper starting inside. If Nelson and McCoy are both unhealthy, and we can't get more out of the other kids on roster, then we better be hitting the portal for a lot more than one more OL. I love our 2023 OL class. But you can't win 9-10 games, much less compete with Clemson, with three 18 and 19 year olds starting along the line.

Advertisement
The modern 4-2-5 is just a 4-3 but it replaces a WLB with a nickel player. The nickel, star, striker, whatever they call it is usually a safety type that can cover receivers and play the run like an athletic linebacker. The coverages are different than what we used a lot in the old days though. You’ll get killed trying to play anything with two deep safeties. Most defenses stay in a single high look (cover 3, cover 1)because you need the help closer to the line of scrimmage. They didn’t have the variety of run plays from shotgun/spread formations 30 years ago that they do today. And the short/ intermediate passing game wasn’t what it is now
Great reply. Thanks

Advertisement
Rivers will be supplanted by Okunlola. If that’s near the end of spring, fall camp, or in the season is obviously going to come down to how well Okunlola shows out in pads.

LT - Okunlola
LG - Cohen
C - Lee
RT - Mauigoa

I dont care how ling Rivers or Nelson have been here, how many starts they have, or what they’ve in the past.

Mario Cristobal sure seemed high af on Jalen Rivers when he spoke today.

Mario Cristobal sure seemed high af on Jalen Rivers when he spoke today.
Half Baked Yes GIF

LT - Okunlola
LG - Cohen
C - Lee
RT - Mauigoa

Everyone loves what those 2 TF are projected to be..that said they haven’t done **** yet. Stars by names don’t win title’s, performance does. Idk about Zion and that’s strictly a health issue. When he’s right he’s a NFL caliber player. Rivers will be a NFL guy as well. Rivers is starting. The one of the two Freshmen will start as well. If both end up starting one of Rivers, cooper or cohen or either hurt Or absolutely **** the bed in performance. And if that happened 5-7/6/6 is in play again

Advertisement
Back