Spring Spring PractiSe #15 SPRING GAME Saturday April 13 4 pm

Let's revisit this in the coming weeks My Prophet...

good list
big brother whatever GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Advertisement
Some of the “we need 5 starters in the portal” talk needs a big reality check. It ain’t happening. We spent huge on a quarterback and will likely be dropping big cash on a running back. I know people think our NIL is unlimited but you guys gotta read between the lines. D Money has used the salary cap phrase quite a bit recently and they’ve made a huge push for “canes connection” or whatever the NIl donor pool is called recently. That tells me that we’re not capable of just getting anyone we want at any time. A starting center/ DT/ CB is going to command a big chunk of money which it looks like we don’t have. If we really need center help, maybe we can move one of the thirty eight tackles we signed inside. What good is having a bunch of tackles who never play anyway?

I’m not even going to start on clearing roster space to bring in more transfers while we’re currently over the scholarship limit.

Yep. Reports in camp said he was struggling, and that was confirmed today.

Didn’t have this on my bingo card, but I’d consider looking for a portal center to push him. Rodriguez has been here for 3+ years now and just doesn’t seem like he’s going to take that next step. Too early to give up on someone like Tripp, but he’s certainly down there on the depth chart.

Very curious to see how the OL looks under Mirabal this year. He’s got some work to do but he’s got plenty of talent in the room…
rodriguez is too weak, he is a clean up center at best.

Point taken but his average performance was better than the best we have had in years. I’m excited and 8/31 can’t come soon enough.

I didn’t say he had an average performance to disparage him. I said it to praise him.

Again, just watch games from last year against big-time opponents, with everything on the line, big time pressure, and playing within a roster that, at best, was fifth in terms of talent in the PAC.

You're focusing on physical traits while overlooking the most important trait, Feel for the position. You can win a championship (even in today's game) with a QB like Dorsey, Kosar or Griese (Bob that is).
like I said Emory is John Parker Wilson. JPW won a championship and never sniffed the NFL because he obviously didn’t have the physical traits.

There are many ways to win in college football. I put JB in the Jalen Milroe category of super athletic QB’s with big play ability but can struggle with the fundamentals. Milroe’s ceiling is Heisman Trophy winner. Bama fans hated him for a while because he struggled with the basics but when guys that have all the physical traits put it together they become unstoppable.

Advertisement
If you're stretching the field is the same as my stretching the field, you're right, he doesn't show an NFL arm. Neither do 99% of the college QBs. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of UM QBs that had one: Mira, Kelly, Testaverde, Craig Erickson. Some may include Steve Morris, that's still one hand.

You don't need talent to be a game manager. You just need to be smart and make the right reads.
You need supreme talent around you to be a successful game manager.

Yup in the highlights he had a few but chose to try and go outside. Pringle can’t get here soon enough, CJ is a better receiver out of the backfield it seems. That’s why I would recruit only guys that are 190 with speed and explosive ability. It’s rare when you got a tiny frame that you become some beast in college. There are some but few, I want a guy zoomin through the hole and DL arms just getting blown through. Pause

With the small guys they get through then one DL arm touches them they off balance already. Pringle does look like he can be that guy but it was Riley who probably was that guy. And put into the fact that all these kids look big in HS but as soon as you size them up with cfb players they look OD small. Pause
there is a difference from being faster than everyone is hs and being a college rb. alot of people on this board still think Trayone Gray was the goat.

Advertisement
If you're stretching the field is the same as my stretching the field, you're right, he doesn't show an NFL arm. Neither do 99% of the college QBs. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of UM QBs that had one: Mira, Kelly, Testaverde, Craig Erickson. Some may include Steve Morris, that's still one hand.

You don't need talent to be a game manager. You just need to be smart and make the right reads.
I think there’s a huge middle ground between NFL arm and what Emory has so I think your post is a bit disingenuous

Emory is fine. We need to do better than that at the position and we really shouldn’t have a hard time with this. He’s a mid 3 star QB just like Judd was. You’re telling me there’s nothing in between that and an NFL arm?

its so sad we recruited Judd and had this kid tweeting recruits trying to get them to be canes.... really hope the Cam ward affect hits all players and coaches.

Judd will never ever start but just sucks when we could of had bailey or ANY body else but judd

I dont know if Judd will ever start here but lets not go writing off a college quarterback who is going to fly home to go to his senior high school prom next week. He has a decent arm for a 17 year old kid.

Quite frankly, if all of the 2024 QB's are on the roster to start 2025, my guess is that Judd would pass Brown on the depth chart.

Advertisement
I’m with you

And then that lying little ************ on my other shoulder is like hey man George got **** near 1,000 with a train wreck at QB…
Stats aren't the issue with George. He has 4 years of evidence proving to be a liability. To me that is more hope that a guy is better than he has ever been. Yes, I realize the paranoia from battered fan syndrome.

Stats aren't the issue with George. He has 4 years of evidence proving to be a liability. To me that is more hope that a guy is better than he has ever been.
I didn’t really mean him in particular. Just mean as much as our system was bagged on last year and the MariBroball there was clearly some room for WRs to make plays

Which is also why I want a #1 so badly

I’m ready to get weird if we do

**** Emory and Williams ahead of Jacurri

Please know that I respect you as a poster, but...

What really happened yesterday showed why JB11 is #4 on the chart. He provided some "shiny things" to look at; i.e.: The long run and the deep ball, which was a 50-50 ball to a 6'-6", scholarship tight end who was being covered by a 5'-10" freshman walk-on.

On balance, JB11 missed three very easy check down passes and did not seem to be in the rhythm of the offense on fakes and handoffs. Hitting your check downs is a core component of being a QB. He simply has not shown the ability to do that.

Mario and Dawson have decades of experience doing their jobs and the market tells us they are worth $11 million annually, combined. They have JB11 #4 on the depth chart for a reason. A football-related reason.

Advertisement
I think there’s a huge middle ground between NFL arm and what Emory has so I think your post is a bit disingenuous

Emory is fine. We need to do better than that at the position and we really shouldn’t have a hard time with this. He’s a mid 3 star QB just like Judd was. You’re telling me there’s nothing in between that and an NFL arm?
Yea you need an nfl arm at times you either better throw it early asf and at least be able to make all the throws. Those weak arm qbs are way easier to defend, never liked EE film but I also thought he would never play so I was ok with it. You can’t stock pile a roster of elite qbs that’s unrealistic. But if you can just throw a deep ball (pause) that doesn’t mean anything either. Just bring me the awards of the world that can do it all with timing and accuracy not miss screens or 10 yard outs.

The uncertainty, I don't like heading into the season hoping guys perform better than they ever have with a generational QB.
fair point here. in spring game I saw 7 receivers that made me giddy, but yes being content with what we have means i  hope horton makes a leap in game performance and george makes giant leap for mankind in brain performance. if we can snag a bona-fide tall and rangy #1type WR in the portal not at the expense of a RB/CB/DT than obviously am all for it, but if getting such a guy means we take a downgrade at those other positions of need - cause budget **** - then I think we should roll with what we've got.

Please know that I respect you as a poster, but...

What really happened yesterday showed why JB11 is #4 on the chart. He provided some "shiny things" to look at; i.e.: The long run and the deep ball, which was a 50-50 ball to a 6'-6", scholarship tight end who was being covered by a 5'-10" freshman walk-on.

On balance, JB11 missed three very easy check down passes and did not seem to be in the rhythm of the offense on fakes and handoffs. Hitting your check downs is a core component of being a QB. He simply has not shown the ability to do that.

Mario and Dawson have decades of experience doing their jobs and the market tells us they are worth $11 million annually, combined. They have JB11 #4 on the depth chart for a reason. A football-related reason.
I won't debate to much because I've said countlessly I think we need a QB room mulligan. Nickel is a step in the right direction. Jacurri is better than Emory and I don't like what I saw from Poff. That being said, QB1 for next year will be portal.

Yea you need an nfl arm at times you either better throw it early asf and at least be able to make all the throws. Those weak arm qbs are way easier to defend, never liked EE film but I also thought he would never play so I was ok with it. You can’t stock pile a roster of elite qbs that’s unrealistic. But if you can just throw a deep ball (pause) that doesn’t mean anything either. Just bring me the awards of the world that can do it all with timing and accuracy not miss screens or 10 yard outs.
Yeah the portal assures you these days you won’t keep a QB around long. So a kid like Emory or Judd…if a staff wants to put faith in an eval and build some depth where an injury doesn’t completely derail your season, then ok. Not saying Emory or Judd in particular just QBs like that. Judd could end up being great idk.

Also NIL these high school QBs demand a lot where going portal might be smarter for a team

I’d say all things considered we have a pretty good room

Advertisement
Back