Spring Spring PractiSe 13 - 4.12.2022

Since this thread is already derailed, I thought I'd answer another poster's concern about not having enough Lithium in the world for solar. Here's an update on that. People were constantly worried we'd run out of oil and gas when they first become the core energy source, and that never happened. I think we'll figure Lithium out, too:

Advertisement
Wrong!!! It doesn't take 40 years to build an electric charging infrastructure. See China. It's already here. Just not in full capacity. Maybe 5 years for a full infrastructure to go coast to coast.

What you fail to realize is that every car company is committed to building electric cars. They've invested billions of dollars and over a decade of research. Car companies research an plan 10 years out. They didn't just wake up last year and decided to build electric cars because they thought it was cool or just realized that pollution is killing our way of life.

Most of the car companies are phasing out their gas car production.

Oh, and electric is not limited to automobiles. There are electric planes that are already in production. Some models will hold up to 186 passengers for those mid range connecting flights.

The good news for those who want to continue with gas should see gas prices decrease in a few years.

I just saw this post. Electric planes are a long way off. It’s a weight issue. I think it takes 30 times more weight in batteries than weight in fuel oil to power a passenger airplane. Until they solve that it’s a long way off. I may be wrong about the 30 X factor but I definitely remember hearing that.

I just saw this post. Electric planes are a long way off. It’s a weight issue. I think it takes 30 times more weight in batteries than weight in fuel oil to power a passenger airplane. Until they solve that it’s a long way off. I may be wrong about the 30 X factor but I definitely remember hearing that.
The battery design had been solved several years ago. It takes years to produce any type of airplane. However, these planes are in production right now. There are three companies (Wright Electric, Eviation, and Heart Aerospace) that are in production for commercial orders. These planes will be in the sky flying commercial flights in 2026.

The battery design had been solved several years ago. It takes years to produce any type of airplane. However, these planes are in production right now. There are three companies (Wright Electric, Eviation, and Heart Aerospace) that are in production for commercial orders. These planes will be in the sky flying commercial flights in 2026.

Small electric planes are flying right now. They carry a couple or three passengers.

My comment is in reference to the airline industry, and passenger planes that carry around 100 or more passengers, which is most commercial airlines.

If you’re talking about lear sized puddle jumpers that carry 20 people or so, for short haul flights, like some regional carriers, yeah that might be available in a few years. We can guess at the numbers. Available in five years? Or 10 years? That’s feasible. And that’s probably where it will be available first.

I’m talking about Miami to New York with 300 people. Look that up.

I didn’t even click on those links. Anybody that knows anything about this, and I’m not claiming to be an expert but I read, electric prototype planes are available right now. I know that.

When will mid to long haul all electric planes be available that carry 100+ passengers? That’s the bread and butter of most airlines. And that’s what I was talking about. Right now that looks like a long way off.

Smaller all-electric or hybrid regional planes might be available sometime in the 2030s, according to Boeing. Boeing has also released an electric passenger air vehicle that can be fully autonomous, with a range of up to 50 miles.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
is there a reason for that?

From what I understand, still an inefficient energy process (high carbon footprint atm). That's the biggest issue but if we are able to use a more efficient renewable way of extracting the hydrogen for fuel, it's a very compelling arguement. Hydrogen powered cars would take minutes to refuel.

If you’ve ever seeb a lithium battery explode you would appreciate the difference.
An emp won’t do anything to batteries.
I really don’t have a dog in the race between internal combustion and electric cars. However again an EMP won’t do anything to a battery.
We’ve been driving for about 100 years with a bomb strapped the the bottom of our cars but now batteries are a problem all of the sudden.
The problem with the debate of internal combustion versus electric vehicles ends up being one of politics or whatever side you are ingrained in.

Unfortunately it doesn’t have to be that way. Just like you can have a stick shift or automatic, you can have an electric or an internal combustion engine. But as soon as somebody takes a side they automatically start bashing the other one. Just like everything else both types of vehicles have their positives and their negatives.

In my opinion and electric motor is a way more efficient and smarter way to be transported in. They have elevator motors in skyscrapers that have been working for like over 60 years.

However, if I run out of gas I can walk or get a ride to a gas station get like 2 gallons and I’m good but if I run out of charge I’m basically screwed cause I can’t put a 2000 lb battery on my shoulder. Also, if I put a full tank of gas I know exactly how many miles I’m going to get more or less every time. But the more I use an EV you’re technically losing range every time you use it. Also, even if I buy the most high end Ferrari I’m sure I can find some shop somewhere they can at least do an oil change on it or do some basic maintenance. I Can go to auto zone and buy spark plugs and brake pads. I think AutoZone is starting to carry some stuff for Teslas but I don’t know how their warranty likes the owners to do maintenance outside their shops.

I have a 2005 Acura TL with almost 300k in it. I wonder what the range would be for a Tesla with 300k on the battery.
Granted most people don’t keep a car that long.
There is also the charging time compared to just tanking.

But again in its most simplest form an electric motor is just so much more elegant. Fewer moving parts heat maintenance etc. etc. Unfortunately we have over 100 years of established infrastructure, culture, logistics and just overall convenience of an internal combustion engine.

However, It’s actually quicker to change out a Tesla battery than it is to charge it completely and even faster than putting in a tank of gas.
Maybe instead of charging the battery they should just switch out batteries for charged ones.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back