Spring PractiSe 12 - No Media Access and Interviews

We should probably curb our enthusiasm for TVD and not lay all the blame when/kf bad performances come.

While (IMHO) he is a huge upgrade over King (given what Miami is), he doesn't have elite OL and WR play to compliment nor does he have an elite D to bail him out...

yet...

I'm still concerned with Gattis trying to call plays with an OL that simply isn't up to par flr what he needs thereby derailing the whole O and TVD catching much of that blame.

I'm guardedly optimistic, but still very much "prove it".

Also get the feeling Garcia doesnt have "it" and this Jucurri cat is going to pass him.
Valid arguments so my question to you, @Brooklyndee and everyone on CIS is, ‘what are your realistic expectations for TVD?

My answer is that I expect him to exceed his TD’s and yards from last year by 20%. This should not be too hard considering that he will play a full season if healthy. The key stat will be, IMO, his interceptions. If he can keep his INT’s below 10 for the season while throwing 30+ TD’s, I think 2 things will happen;
1. UM wins no less than 9 games, and
2. TVD is drafted in rounds 1-2 of the NFL draft, and I would put money on round 1 as the NFL drafts QB’s higher than they should often be.

Those are my realistic expectations. So when we argue that people should curb their enthusiasm (great show), are you speaking to me and my expectations? If so, I will tell you that I believe you are wrong. On the other hand, if what you mean by curbing our enthusiasm is don’t expect TVD to take UM to 11 wins and the playoffs then I wholeheartedly agree. But the starting point in this discussion is what are people’s expectations.

Advertisement
Valid arguments so my question to you, @Brooklyndee and everyone on CIS is, ‘what are your realistic expectations for TVD?

My answer is that I expect him to exceed his TD’s and yards from last year by 20%. This should not be too hard considering that he will play a full season if healthy. The key stat will be, IMO, his interceptions. If he can keep his INT’s below 10 for the season while throwing 30+ TD’s, I think 2 things will happen;
2. TVD is drafted in rounds 1-2 of the NFL draft, and I would put money on round 1 as the NFL drafts QB’s higher than they should often be.

Those are my realistic expectations. So when we argue that people should curb their enthusiasm (great show), are you speaking to me and my expectations? If so, I will tell you that I believe you are wrong. On the other hand, if what you mean by curbing our enthusiasm is don’t expect TVD to take UM to 11 wins and the playoffs then I wholeheartedly agree. But the starting point in this discussion is what are people’s expectations.
Here is my main concern for TVD: Gattis falling into the Richt/Enos trap.

They both tried to establish a bully/hard run game and just had to have been bewildered that the OL just couldnt do that... again... and again.... and again.... and fücking half back dive up the middle again.

We've said this before... Bama and Jawga present legitimate power run threats and they just happen to sling it around in "spread" 🙄.

I believe Gattis is cut from this same cloth 👆.

So what happens in G3 against TAMU and Miami becomes a one-dimensional attack? Are OL and WR units good enough? No. And the D appears to be neither as well.

TVD is, but can't do it alone but will catch most of the blame. o

If TVD wants to take a step up in production, it comes through the big men in front of him taking a giant leap forward in capability.

For the record y’all are kind of proving my point. I didn’t say Cody was better than anybody. I said the kid can play and y’all keep coming to me with other names who can play too. Can the kid play or not and can we give him a chance is my point.
I don’t think the question is about whether or not he can play, it’s more of a matter of exactly where he’ll get his opportunities.

We have 3 RB’s coming in the Fall & even in the most run heavy offenses it’s pretty rare for 6 RB’s to get carries.

Brown’s issues last year were lack of wiggle & when he did get carries he didn’t do much with it.

He’s getting his chance now with the other RB’s out for Spring & we’ll see what happens in Fall, but the reality is it’s going to be difficult to give 6 RB’s enough carries to keep them all satisfied.

Advertisement
I don’t think the question is about whether or not he can play, it’s more of a matter of exactly where he’ll get his opportunities.

We have 3 RB’s coming in the Fall & even in the most run heavy offenses it’s pretty rare for 6 RB’s to get carries.

Brown’s issues last year were lack of wiggle & when he did get carries he didn’t do much with it.

He’s getting his chance now with the other RB’s out for Spring & we’ll see what happens in Fall, but the reality is it’s going to be difficult to give 6 RB’s enough carries to keep them all satisfied.
This is all true and justifiable but come on LCE.. no one but you is saying this. Everyone else is running him off saying he has no ability at all. You’re like 1 of 3 people on this site with a fair assessment

This is all true and justifiable but come on LCE.. no one but you is saying this. Everyone else is running him off saying he has no ability at all. You’re like 1 of 3 people on this site with a fair assessment
That may be true, but I don’t think it’s simply a “he’s not from South FL” thing, simple logical deduction would point to him as the potential odd man out in a crowded RB room.

He may stick it out & be better than everyone, but I think most are basing it on what they saw from him last year, granted in a limited role & a very small sample size. It’s entirely possible he’s a better fit in Gattis’s offense that is more geared towards North & South power runners anyway, but I don’t think people are simply judging by where he’s from.

This very same board of fans absolutely destroyed Cam Harris for the majority of his career here.

I get what you’re saying & where you’re coming from & agree with you to an extent, but I think it just has more to do with depth than anything.

Yu said tvd hasn't started a full season! But, he has started 6 or 7 games! But, yu still want garcia who hasn't started 1 game?
I didn't say anywhere I want Garcia. I said I like Jake's game more. That doesn't mean I'm not happy with Tyler for right now. I just want to see alot more out of tvd as anyone should because he's shown he has ALOT of potential. I want to see potential become his actual game though. I'm not just gonna lie to myself and say he tvd was just amazing and the same product he put out is all we need... Cause it's not.

Our RB room is stacked. Every one of these guys could start for a P5 program.

* Chaney is my #1 if healthy. All purpose high draft prospect IMHO. Though he needs to work on his hands from what I've seen in practice highlights
* After that you have thunder and lightning in Franklin and Knighton. They'll come in depending on scheme, down and distance for 2022
* Parrish
* C Brown

Unknown is Citizen. But if the talk is that the coaches love the kid and SPC is backing it up, he may see reps ahead of one of the above. I still think he's a redshirt barring injury no matter how good he is. Chaney is THAT guy if healthy, and the others behind him are no slouches.

Advertisement
TVD won’t receive the brunt of blame if the offense struggles this season and these posts saying so are preemptively designed for him not to receive any.

Hype breeds blame but accountability breeds measured expectations and that’s all BrooklynDee is asking for. The posts that are acting confused about this just don’t want accountability or measured expectations for TVD, they want him hyped and not held accountable. I watched Browns fans do the same thing (preemptive scapegoating) to DC Joe Woods even though he coaches the other side of the ball. They said if the offense struggles or the Browns as a collective, then it will because of Joe Woods’ defense 😂.

If our offense struggles it will be partly the fault of Gattis and TVD, amongst other things.

Technically, aren't yu doing da same thing with garcia?
Why do you keep acting like I have some problem with tvd starting or something? Even if Jake starts we'd have to go through growing pains as well. The finished product on any of them is irrelevant to right now. So stop putting words in my mouth. Keepin it a buck, what my only concern is out of the QB room period is this toxic fan base because of expectations they simply create. Just let the kid play and support him regardless as he's the starting QB for a team y'all support. Knowing that let's see him become the best version of himself. That's all we can all hope for. Cause far too often we see something early whether it's warranted or not than by the time they leave all people do is **** on them. So let's see it become the norm.

Advertisement
Why do you keep acting like I have some problem with tvd starting or something? Even if Jake starts we'd have to go through growing pains as well. The finished product on any of them is irrelevant to right now. So stop putting words in my mouth. Keepin it a buck, what my only concern is out of the QB room period is this toxic fan base because of expectations they simply create. Just let the kid play and support him regardless as he's the starting QB for a team y'all support. Knowing that let's see him become the best version of himself. That's all we can all hope for. Cause far too often we see something early whether it's warranted or not than by the time they leave all people do is **** on them. So let's see it become the norm.
No issues with yu brooklyndee! When a poster posts something worthy of me chiming in i do!

I think that's more a bi-product of most not being able to express with any form of intellect a logical assessment of the situation. Just seeing what he's shown this far he's most likely the odd man out simply due to depth if nothing else. He seems to lack explosiveness and vision. Not a good pairing at rb in a crowded room.

Shouldn't come as a surprise. Blades moved to a different position, Porter isn't on the field, the freshmen haven't arrived. So that leaves Ivey, Clarke, Dunson, Curtis and Couch. Cupboard is relatively empty. Let's see if he holds up come fall.
I'm excited to see what DJ can do in this defense. But just like I've said with plenty of other players, what you do in practice needs to translate to what you Excell at in games. Otherwise it's all irrelevant. He's always been one of those dudes who locks people down in practice but is a deer in the headlights come game day. I personally think it was due to the system (PARTIALLY) wanna see what Steele can get out of him simply playing old school physical d.

Advertisement

I think that is a fair expectation with the assumption that he's throwing the ball on average 35 times a game as he did last year. This is going to be a different offense from last year. I think he most certainly has the potential to do ALL OF THAT AND MORE. But I think it's important that we see what is asked out of him come game time in this particular offense as it will be very different in many ways from lashlee. More will be asked out of him. He's been looking great in spring. If that carries over than he'll be a first round pick. Just let him do it. Because it's not fair to him to throw everything on him in an offense y'all don't know what it will look like yet. He may very well have the same sort of year again but with far better completion percentage and he expands the throws he can consistently hit on. Will fans than say he didn't have a good year because statistically he didn't expand his stats by a certain measurable?

I didn't say anywhere I want Garcia. I said I like Jake's game more. That doesn't mean I'm not happy with Tyler for right now. I just want to see alot more out of tvd as anyone should because he's shown he has ALOT of potential. I want to see potential become his actual game though. I'm not just gonna lie to myself and say he tvd was just amazing and the same product he put out is all we need... Cause it's not.

its amazing how people turn this into like a political race. You can actually support both QB's here.

They're both good, but they are different as players

It's not hard to imagine seeing yourself buried on the depth chart with coaches that seemed to like seniority and not be motivated to maintain peak shape.
Freshman running backs got burn the year prior. No excuse to come in out of shape. Glad he turned it around.

Advertisement
Back