Spring Practice Update

Someone show me the difference between Gus an Connor from Pitt.

Same exact guy. They're both 250 pound bruisers with nimble feet who take over games and run for 1800 yards.

Your sarcasm is almost as bad as your knowledge of the game. That's why you result to underhanded insults.
Football is a tough game for guys of below-average intelligence like me to understand. That's why I rely on football scientists like you to teach me that James Connor and Gus Edwards are virtually the same RB.

Advertisement
So, Gus is either the 2nd coming of Todd Gurley and James Connor, or he sucks??

There's no in-between in this debate? LOL

I like Gus, because he's on our team.

But I can like a guy, and still be objective. Objectively, I haven't seen anything from him that suggests to me that he will be one of the elite running back prospects in college football next year.

... That doesn't mean I'm writing him off as terrible ... I just don't see Gurley-ish potential, or James Connor when I watch Gus.

And it has nothing to do with who recruited him or where he's from.

It has everything to do with what I saw from him after Duke went down in 2013 and, specifically, that bowl game beat-down we got from Louisville. In that game, with all the prep time and starting position, he played as well as the guy we moved to safety ...

I like Gus honestly ... I think he could be a good NFL running back

He has the talent just has to run behind his pads more

This. Has a lot in him to unleash. He can be Gurley ish.

Respectfully, I'm asking this as a serious question:

Do you really believe this, objectively?

So, if he was at FSU ... Would you see him as being able to be like Todd Gurley, or is that the hope because he plays for us?

If he wasn't a Miami running back from out of state recruited by Al Golden.... would people here see him as having potential, or is it because he plays for us that people **** on him?

Advertisement
This Gus convo has gone on long enough IMO. At this point, he is a JR, if he cant put it together and at least give us a "Mike James" type season, then IMO, he worthless to us in 2016. By that time, Yearby and Walton will be ready to take over officially.

Still runs very high ....needs to become more shifty ... Speed will always be an issue

I completely disagree (respectfully) with the bold. He isn't a shifty back. Stop trying to dodge tacklers, lower your pads/helmet and run through them. God gave him that frame for a reason. His speed is more than fine.

This, he's a big back that plays like a scat back much of the time. He needs to learn to run angry.

Advertisement
Comparing Gus to Mike James seems off base to me. Mike James was a **** good running back from the time he got on campus. He got lost in the shuffle from having Lamar Miller ahead of him on the depth chart his whole time on campus. Mike James rarely got qualify tailback carries but rather was mis-used as an inside runner both by the incompetent Partrick Nix and by the bipolar offensive coordinator Mark Whipple.

Im hopeful that Gus will be productive for us this year but I have not seen anything from him that would lead me to believe he can be an all conference type of back.

[video=youtube_share;Ej3DMxy0-XM]http://youtu.be/Ej3DMxy0-XM[/video]

If we played Savannah State 12 times next year we would win 10 games and Gus would look like a ALL America.

When pretty much your only highlights consist of a Savannah State game, there is a good chance you will do nothing of substance in college.

What were McGahee's highlights going into his redshirt sophomore season?...
Oh my.

Using perhaps the best running back in Miami history to make a comparison to Gus Edwards. I'm about to choke from laughing so hard.
Hope you're done choking now...what was the comparison?...your screen name is based off a great rb who had one great season...one great season after being in the program for 2 seasons & not showing much...so as much as you obviously like McGahee chances are you would've been calling him soft & afraid to compete after 2 seasons in the program...but maybe you saw the 1800 yards & 27 TDs coming...but I hate to put words in your mouth...don't want you choking on applesauce...

I think Gus can be good, but based on what he has shown the past 2 seasons, he's a solid starter at best. Will probably get 4+ ypc, but wont do too much special except for a big play every once in a blue moon.

I definitely think Yearby has shown more and has more potential. I think Gus will be very solid this year, but he still has a lot to PROVE. At this point we're basically just hoping he's gunna come in a be a mini beast mode, when he hasnt shown he can do that almost at all. Based on last year, Yearby should definitely be the starter.

We'll see how this summer practices play out though, I'm hoping Gray does well too, and we are able to redshirt Walton still. I feel good having Yearby, Gus, and Chocolate to replace Duke, I'm just not so confident they'll be used the proper way...

Advertisement
Gus doing well will equal every RB we face doing well against us. Not a knock on Gus, as I am sure he's getting better, but our D is in for a world of hurt if they can't stop him.

He has the talent just has to run behind his pads more

This. Has a lot in him to unleash. He can be Gurley ish.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Advertisement
Gus has potential because of his size but because he is not using it to his advantage he is hurting himself and the team. His role on the team is to be a big back, thats why we had him in on so many goalline tries, if we needed somebody to make moves we would have left our shifty backs in, not our big back. In college sports you perfect your role and the success comes with it. Him being a 6-2 235 back who wont play physical is the same as Lebron James shooting nothing but 3s, we see that CAN do that but the team loses its advantage of having size at that position. In order for him to be a great back he has to be great at something and because he's not great with his the style he chooses to use that makes him average. He has 2 seasons to add power to his game or he will slip on the depth chart. Part of that has to be on the coaches tho because in my honest opinion if hes somewhere like alabama he already has that fixed. Saban or any other great coach has him running with a power mentality and using his shiftiness only when its needed. You cant let his attributes go to waste.

I don't dislike Gus. Not at all. I'm just saying that if our D is getting torn up by him, there will be a LOT of RBs that will tear us up. He's a solid back, but I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he's going to make any All-Conference lists. If our D can't stop him, who will we stop? Our D should be able to stop a "solid" back. If not, how will we ever stop really darn good ones?

Trust me, I hope Gus has come into his own and runs all over everyone we face like he does our D in practice. I just don't think he is that special, and that our D is making him look better than he really is. I really, really hope I'm wrong. I want what's best for the kids on the team, and if that means Gus Edwards has become a monstrous beast, GREAT. I'll wait to see what he does against a different D before I judge him further. Or our D, for that matter.
Gus doing well will equal every RB we face doing well against us. Not a knock on Gus, as I am sure he's getting better, but our D is in for a world of hurt if they can't stop him.

Im on the GUS BUS...MARK IT.....

Kid will be one of the best in the acc this year....Yall really undervalue the kid...he showed some growth last year.....Now this spring he has to grasp the spot and BECOME tyhe man...he's kind of a quiet guy....so i want Ice to bring that out of him.....kid ran real hard at times last year

Im on the GUS BUS...MARK IT.....

Kid will be one of the best in the acc this year....Yall really undervalue the kid...he showed some growth last year.....Now this spring he has to grasp the spot and BECOME tyhe man...he's kind of a quiet guy....so i want Ice to bring that out of him.....kid ran real hard at times last year

I respect the opinion coming from you, but Im still skeptical.

Advertisement
Back