Spring Practice Update

Im on the GUS BUS...MARK IT.....

Kid will be one of the best in the acc this year....Yall really undervalue the kid...he showed some growth last year.....Now this spring he has to grasp the spot and BECOME tyhe man...he's kind of a quiet guy....so i want Ice to bring that out of him.....kid ran real hard at times last year

I respect the opinion coming from you, but Im still skeptical.

Gus had 66 carries in 2013 as a true freshman, 61 carries as a soph. He averages 5.4 yards per carry and has 11 career TD's on minimal snaps. Like I said before he's not Gurley but he doesn't suck either.
http://www.hurricanesports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208512069&DB_OEM_ID=28700
Gus Edwards Bio

Last edited:
Advertisement

Kid will be one of the best in the acc this year....Yall really undervalue the kid...he showed some growth last year.....Now this spring he has to grasp the spot and BECOME tyhe man...he's kind of a quiet guy....so i want Ice to bring that out of him.....kid ran real hard at times last year

Gus goes for 1100 this year. Mark it down.

IMO, for Gus to gain 1100 yds means that he would have to carry the ball between 205 times (for a 5.4 yard avg - his current career average) and 250 times (for a 4.4 yard avg - way more realistic IMO)... Kid is solid. No doubt. But ask yourself this:

Would you commit to giving him the ball 200-250 times?

You probably answered no to that.

And I'm pretty sure Joe and Treyone would agree with you...

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 8.15.13 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 8.15.45 PM.png

Last edited:
I am also on the Gus Bus.

1200 yards this season. 5.5 per carry. 12 TDs

If he learns to play with lower pad level I can see this happening. I also love the thought of Yearby being the change of pace back that can come in and gash defenses for chunks. He may not take a ton 70 yds but with that cutting ability he can be very dangerous if Gus has already worn down a defense.

Advertisement

and 15 TDs. Mark it.

and 15 TDs. Mark it.
Maybe 18. He's got a nose for the endzone.

Advertisement
Gus was behind Yearby last year but this year he's gonna go for 1200 yards?

Awesome.

It's their sad attempt at being witty and sarcastic. Apparently he either has to be a superstar or a bust. As far as I'm concerned, while Gus may not be a Gurley, he doesn't have to be. He is a quality 2nd back that provides good depth and a change up from Yearby (and soon to be Walton). If he again provides the yards per carry and total yards that he did last year, he filled his role and filled it well.

Y'all are crazy if you think Yearby and Gus won't at LEAST split carries.

It's gonna be 1 or 2 series of Yearby -- 1 or 2 series of Gus -- then see who is "hot" from that point on.

However, there is always the chance that Golden puts Goudis in at tailback

Don't get me wrong, I think Gus is good, but the dude runs like a finesse back. It's like he's not even trying to break tackles, he just does it by default cause he's so big.

He got passed on the depth chart by Yearby last season. Who's to say he won't get passed up by Gray this year?

Don't get me wrong, I think Gus is good, but the dude runs like a finesse back. It's like he's not even trying to break tackles, he just does it by default cause he's so big.

He got passed on the depth chart by Yearby last season. Who's to say he won't get passed up by Gray this year?

True, he's not everything he potentially could be given his physical stature..he doesn't seem to have the aggressive mentality to use it fully. However, he's certainly not a "bust". He was never brought here to be a feature back anyway. He is a role player, who in reality is running for more yards/carry than most would have expected. He's not a star, but he's serving a valuable role. What I find amusing is the same people who claim I "threw Tracy Howard under the bus" because I pointed out that he hasn't lived up to potential and Corn Elder has simply played more solidly and thus earned his playing time, are on here attacking Edwards as a bust, and mocking him, when the reality is he was never expected to be the star player that Howard was.

Advertisement
We have seen nothing in real games that would suggest that Gus is anything more than quality depth. Because of a couple of coaches remarks we are jumping to conclusions that he will be our work horse feature back. That may or may not be but he sure has a great opportunity. Unfortunately it depends on a untested Oline.

Last edited:

Perfectly stated...

Advertisement
Agree with gogeta here. Pad level and between the tackles play improved second half of season and looks dramatically better in practice film. He surprised me. I had low expectations. But I now think he'll pound the rock just fine. I expect a Mike James level play.

Advertisement
Back