Spring Practice 6 notes.

villain

Redshirt Freshman
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Some UM spring football notes from today:

### Kevin Olsen has looked sharper than Ryan Williams at times in spring practice, but Al Golden made this very clear after the fifth session of the spring on Thursday: "Obviously, it's Ryan right now. Ryan is ahead right now. Ryan is experienced and smart and doing a good job with the football." But he added that Olsen "is having a good spring."

### Olsen throws with more zip, but it was encouraging to see Williams complete a 50-yard pass to Stacy Coley late in today's session. "It feels good to stretch the defense," Williams said. "I've played good."

### Alex Figueroa, back healthy, is being disruptive from his outside linebacker position. "We missed that last year," Golden said. "He made three or four plays today. Played with a lot of energy."

Figueroa, whose two parents have military backgrounds, said his playmaking results from "the trained killer in me." OK then.

### The first-team linebacker group has remained consistent: Denzel Perryman in the middle, flanked by Raphael Kirby and Figueroa. Thurston Armbrister, Jermaine Grace, Darrion Owens and Juwon Young are behind them, with defensive ends Al Quadin Muhammad, Tyriq McCord and Trent Harris also able to play outside linebacker when Miami uses a 3-4.

### With Clive Walford missing the spring, Standish Dobard got first team reps at tight end. "Standish is fast, can make plays after the catch," Williams said.

Golden said his linebackers "can run and we're explosive and we're bigger than we have been."

### Much improved receiver D'Mauri Jones also got some first team reps with Rashawn Scott and Coley.

### Because UM has been kind enough to allow reporters and fans to watch practice, we've heard some interesting on-field exchanges this spring.

Defensive coordinator Mark D'Onofrio, trying to encourage his unit, told them Thursday: "The young linebackers are the weak link right now."

Linebackers coach Micheal Barrow later told his group: "We're supposed to be the strength of the unit, not the weak link."

D'Onofrio encouraged players to "over-exaggerate your communication."

Coaches implore players to focus. Barrow said Thursday: "Think you are on vacation out here like we're still on spring break. Wake up!"

Earlier this spring, defensive line coach Jethro Frankin told players he wants them to "pay attention" and not be "looking at the **** birds in the **** sky."

Check out Manny Navarro's blog later for more UM notes today. He'll have good stuff, as always.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
### Kevin Olsen has looked sharper than Ryan Williams at times in spring practice, but Al Golden made this very clear after the fifth session of the spring on Thursday: "Obviously, it's Ryan right now. Ryan is ahead right now. Ryan is experienced and smart and doing a good job with the football." But he added that Olsen "is having a good spring."

"Kevin Olsen has looked sharper than Ryan Williams at times in spring practice"

thats all I need to see

Advertisement
There aint no qb battle. I have heard a lot of people say olsen has looked better than williams but golden doesnt want to hear that ****. Williams is not good and if he starts the offense will struggle.

Advertisement
Fiah da corches and change da schemezzz?

### Much improved receiver D'Mauri Jones also got some first team reps with Rashawn Scott and Coley.

Looks like dorsett is out there keeping the defense honest. #4 wr like i said.

I think Olsen/Williams should split time this year or have Olsen start next year. If Olsen starting this year will bring stability to the program for the next 2 thru 3 years.

More stupid loyalty to seniors for no reason.

This isn't little league, Glorden. Start the best nlgga, nlgga!

Advertisement
Check out Manny Navarro's blog later for more UM notes today. He'll have good stuff, as always.

580.jpg

There aint no qb battle. I have heard a lot of people say olsen has looked better than williams but golden doesnt want to hear that ****. Williams is not good and if he starts the offense will struggle.

Alfred gone Alfred.

Fiah da corches and change da schemezzz?

Looks like dorsett is out there keeping the defense honest. #4 wr like i said.

I don't give a **** what you said. Dorsett has many more TD grabs and much more yardage. Until Scott does anything worth noting Dorsett is the better WR thus far.

And you really aren't going to stick with having a deep threat doesn't keep a defense honest are you? Because that's just about as stupid as pushing for Ice to be Head Corch.

Yeah, having the Broward county player of the year who is one of the fastest players on the team doesn't make a defense take notice. Do you wear a helmet on the bus?

Last edited:
Advertisement
### Kevin Olsen has looked sharper than Ryan Williams at times in spring practice, but Al Golden made this very clear after the fifth session of the spring on Thursday: "Obviously, it's Ryan right now. Ryan is ahead right now."

Right now.

More stupid loyalty to seniors for no reason.

This isn't little league, Glorden. Start the best nlgga, nlgga!

Good post. That's been my biggest disappointment with Golden. He falls in love with his seniors. Too bad Williams did not get an opportunity last year, since Golden refused to let Morris heal his ankle, which turned out to be the biggest excuse for Morris when he played like **** last year. So now we have no clue what Williams brings to the table

### Kevin Olsen has looked sharper than Ryan Williams at times in spring practice, but Al Golden made this very clear after the fifth session of the spring on Thursday: "Obviously, it's Ryan right now. Ryan is ahead right now."

Right now.

Come on guys. Read between the lines. Williams is the more consistent right now. Olsen is far more talented and is starting to put it together, but lacks consistency. He could still win the job in the Fall. And if he does not, I see a scenario of him taking over the job a few games into the season.

Advertisement
Back