Spring football podcast with D Money and Austin Pfenninger

Advertisement
[MENTION=4921]MIATL[/MENTION]

who starts for us game 1 this fall?

I've already answered that I don't know who will be the starter. But if I had to choose, it would be either, Rosier or Allison.

My guess is Rosier. He has a strong enough arm and is extremely mobile when a play breaks down. The question is, does he turn the ball over a lot in practice? Richt will go with a game manager I think if that's the case.

[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION]

I'm just looking for a logical explanation for why a guy with the talent and skills you guys seem to be lauding couldn't beat out Rosier for the 2nd spot, when y'all continue to dump on Rosier's talent.

CMR owes Rosier NOTHING. Wasn't his recruit. Doesn't need to keep him on the roster. If Shirreffs was the guy y'all claim, why keep Rosier?

Between Shirreffs, Allison, Weldon, Testaverde, and DiBiase, they have enough "arms" to get through spring without Rosier. But, instead ... He's getting the 1st team reps.

I'll take all the downvotes y'all want to give, but I just don't get the Shirreffs hype.

Athletic, strong arm, smart, tall, accurate, does all the small things, heady ... Sounds like the guy should be the automatic starter, the way y'all talk about him. But he likely won't be above 3rd team ...

It's not adding up, to me.

Just seems like y'all "like" him. And when we "like" folks, sometimes it's hard to be objective, IMO.

As we said in the podcast. Shirrefs was hindered by a bad hand injury that he probably should not have been playing with. Austin can correct me if I'm wrong, but I also believe that Shirrefs was getting a ton of 2nd team reps later in the season.

Advertisement

I'm just looking for a logical explanation for why a guy with the talent and skills you guys seem to be lauding couldn't beat out Rosier for the 2nd spot, when y'all continue to dump on Rosier's talent.

CMR owes Rosier NOTHING. Wasn't his recruit. Doesn't need to keep him on the roster. If Shirreffs was the guy y'all claim, why keep Rosier?

Between Shirreffs, Allison, Weldon, Testaverde, and DiBiase, they have enough "arms" to get through spring without Rosier. But, instead ... He's getting the 1st team reps.

I'll take all the downvotes y'all want to give, but I just don't get the Shirreffs hype.

Athletic, strong arm, smart, tall, accurate, does all the small things, heady ... Sounds like the guy should be the automatic starter, the way y'all talk about him. But he likely won't be above 3rd team ...

Just seems like y'all "like" him. And when we "like" folks, sometimes it's hard to be objective, IMO.

As we said in the podcast. Shirrefs was hindered by a bad hand injury that he probably should not have been playing with. Austin can correct me if I'm wrong, but I also believe that Shirrefs was getting a ton of 2nd team reps later in the season.

OK.

Thanks for the response.

So, I'll ask it this way:

Is it your position that, if Perry doesn't start, Shirreffs will be the starter?

It is an interesting disconnect from what observers post here from watching closed practices and how it actually plays out for public consumption. Observers who post here were shocked/surprised that Rosier won the backup job last year and Peter is saying that Shirreffs got plenty of second team reps later in the year. Rosier remained the backup and is QB1 in throwing drills to start spring practice.

Diaz said that the depth chart for the defense to open Spring was determined by conditioning and academics. Maybe the same goes for offense, though the starting OL doesn't have any major surprises and looks like a talent-based starting 5.

Advertisement

I keep hearing Shireffs had a hand injury. It makes sense considering how much better he thew it as a true freshmen.

Richt has kept it pretty real about Rosier. He said numerous times that nobody really earned the #2 job. That's most concerning to Rosier since he's the most experienced guy.

IMO, Richt is being honest. Nobody has looked very good. I haven't called a leader in the race but I put a lot of weight in [MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION] 's take because he knows what he's talking about. I've seen enough of Rosier to know that he has a major accuracy problem, although to his credit he played a lot better against Duke than he does in practice.

Diggin the "Escape from New York" background mood music at the beginning.

[video=youtube;xpOHV1T6Kdg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpOHV1T6Kdg[/video]

Last edited:
I would be absolutely and positively shocked if Rosier is not the starter game 1. One of the young kids would really have to step up.

We play FSU on the road early in the season and I doubt Richt is going to initially go with someone without any experience.

Now will Rosier keep the job all year is another topic, but if I'm betting as of today my money is on Rosier to start the season.

I would be absolutely and positively shocked if Rosier is not the starter game 1. One of the young kids would really have to step up.

We play FSU on the road early in the season and I doubt Richt is going to initially go with someone without any experience.

Now will Rosier keep the job all year is another topic, but if I'm betting as of today my money is on Rosier to start the season.

I'm not gonna make a call as to who the starter is, but I will let CMR's history show he doesn't start a true freshman. And Rosier is the elder statesmen, but he couldn't even separate himself as the solid #2 last year. He seems to have the tendency to go off script too much. The smart guess would be Capt Jack.

Advertisement
Rosier may have not distinguished himself in practice but he distinguished himself in game time on the road in the only chance EVER he had to prove himself. People keep knocking him saying it was only one game. Ignoring the fact that the others had ZERO game experience.

Give me a QB who may not be a practice hero, who doesn't only excels when he knows that no defender will knock his teeth out but who can do it on the road even if only once.

You all talk about size, arm strength, accuracy and pocket awareness but ignore the biggest attributes (at least to me) which are toughness, leadership, respect of your teammates and winning mentality.

Richt made the backup job a two-man competition between Testaverde and Rosier on Aug. 19th. He said those two showed flashes and were a little more solid. He didn't say another word about it from what I can tell. Even after Rosier won the job. One day Rosier was seen taking snaps with the 2s and that continued until the first depth chart was released and that was that.

Once the competition was whittled down Richt didn't make any comments about one guy not separating himself from the pack. I don't believe anyone knows how close the competition really was after Aug. 19th besides speculation.

As far as Shirreffs is concerned an unnamed staffer said Shirreffs was leading the pack until he fumbled multiple snaps and forced some throws in a scrimmage.

Malik Rosier, Vincent Testaverde emerge as Miami Hurricanes backup QBs | Canes Watch

Maybe it was the hand injury but he made mistakes in an 11 vs 11 setting and it cost him.

Last edited:

Spot on

Advertisement

see imma keep it 100 he never gun play here he aint the goods

As far as Shirreffs is concerned an unnamed staffer said Shirreffs was leading the pack until he fumbled multiple snaps and forced some throws in a scrimmage.

Malik Rosier, Vincent Testaverde emerge as Miami Hurricanes backup QBs | Canes Watch

Maybe it was hand injury but he made mistakes in an 11 vs 11 setting and it cost him.

It makes sense that someone with a hand injury would fumble multiple snaps.

The hand injury wouldnt account for him forcing throws. Another factor that Richt pointed to in his last public comments on the matter. Testaverde and Rosier were credited with making better decisions and then Rosier won the job in the final 2-3 weeks. So Shirreffs went from first according to one staffer to being third or fourth. And that hasn't seemed to have changed in the last 8-9 months.

Advertisement
Back