Sports illustrated back at it again

Advertisement
Honestly;

I like it. I don’t know bout ya’ll, but I love being the center of attention & the villain. If we get hated on, that’s a good thing. It means we’re in their heads.

That was always the best part of being a Miami fan.

And our team THEN - thrived on it! They loved it too!

We gotta get that back. We're UM! We'll give you an old fashioned country *** whipping, take your cornbread, goose your momma, kick your *** all the way back to the team bus, leave with your girlfriend, and send your coach into retiring.

Then, tell them, "see you next year."

That was always the best part of being a Miami fan.

And our team THEN - thrived on it! They loved it too!

We gotta get that back. We're UM! We'll give you an old fashioned country *** whipping, take your cornbread, goose your momma, kick your *** all the way back to the team bus, leave with your girlfriend, and send your coach into retiring.

Then, tell them, "see you next year."

Yeah; which is y I was excited, after skepticism, that Diaz said come here or get your *** beat, and that we’ll keep playing until the clock stops, so if that’s us appearing to running up the score, so be it.

Then……..

Well, anyways. We need to get back to being the villain.

Advertisement
Every Canes player. Soon.

1625282666548.jpeg

Manny thrives on **** like this, he's super organized and recognizes trends extremely well. Miami will handle this and use it to their advantage as well as anyone.
Manny probably sent them that picture lol

Advertisement
I know everyone wants to hold a grudge against SI for a story from ~25 years ago, but I don't see this as a shot at Miami at all. I think they used that picture b/c King has obviously been on of the more prepared players.
F-them regardless....I have EVERY UM SI Framed...but haven't purchased a SI Mag since 95...I understand what you're saying...but it's beneath me to ever purchase one again....

I have to agree with most of the posters on several points:
- I believe their intent was to try and trash us...again
- I think the end result will be to give UM greater national exposure; the result of which will be to highlight our school as the trailblazer/leader in this new environment
- Their attempt to vilify us in the ongoing "bad boy" image only creates an audience that loves or hates us to extremes, but either way, it drives up our ratings (large ratings we can still pull even after being mediocre over the last decade, a testament to our still strong national brand)

I'm also in the same camp as CIO in that, even though I'm not obsessed with hating SI, I've just chosen not to give even one penny since '95 to support what in my opinion is crap journalism. Having said that, I would be interested in the outcome if our athletic department press shop chose to push back and put them on their heels in a public back and forth with being accountable on several questions:
- If, as another poster noted, SI wants to be perceived as social justice warriors, why would they create an image on their cover that I believe portrays college athletes as selfish, with every player carrying a "mine" alias?
- Would it have been more appropriate to put the moniker "finally" on their backs?
- Are they saying these players, a significant number of which come from economically-challenged backgrounds aren't entitled to receiving any compensation even though the schools, networks, and yes, SPORTS MAGAZINES benefit enormously from showcasing and covering these same athletes?
- Conversely, how many covers have they featured owners of the four major professional sports franchises with dollar signs on their backs or "mine" monikers on their suits? [Maybe they have and I just missed it, as I said I just don't pay attention to them anymore]
- Did they pay Disney "Finding Nemo" rights, or can Disney Corp sue the crap out of Sports Illustrated now if they didn't pay any royalties or seek proper authorization?

.... just asking for a friend....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back