Spencer Whipple for OC

Advertisement
Wet Sheets 2.0

1642178470352.png

My reply was 100% sarcasm. The list of wants and dont wants you see in the threads are unrealistic and dumb. No young coaches who are highly regarded because they don't have the "experience". Only proven coaches. But not ones so great they will get hired away in a year.

I don't have the football IQ some do, but I'd go after a Herman, Whipple, Kafka.. etc.. No clue how realistic any of those are. I'd also take a shot at Will Healy.
Gotcha bro. I missed the sarcasm that's my bad.

Risk can blow up but I’d bet dollars to donuts most posters though Kliff was a stupid hire by the cardinals while it was actually a great hire.
I got trolled to oblivion for bringing his name up way back when. To be fair I never saw this level of success in the NFL but outright disdain for anyone who has an "outside the box hire" is just astonishing to me.

Gotcha bro. I missed the sarcasm that's my bad.
I'd always take a younger up and coming talent as a coordinator. Kirby Smart had only been a DC at Valdosta state before becoming the DC at Bama. Dan Lanning had never been a DC before. Muschamp had, once again, one year of DC experience at Valdosta state before being a DC for Saban.

I also don't understand the "well this guy would just leave in a year or two"... so? That's a good thing. **** if he sucks then nobody would want him. But if the hire is so obviously successful you know they are a goner then whats the big deal? Doesn't seem to bother Saban or Smart?

Advertisement
I'd always take a younger up and coming talent as a coordinator. Kirby Smart had only been a DC at Valdosta state before becoming the DC at Bama. Dan Lanning had never been a DC before. Muschamp had, once again, one year of DC experience at Valdosta state before being a DC for Saban.

I also don't understand the "well this guy would just leave in a year or two"... so? That's a good thing. **** if he sucks then nobody would want him. But if the hire is so obviously successful you know they are a goner then whats the big deal? Doesn't seem to bother Saban or Smart?
Big facts

No troll honest question... In your opinion can you give me a few names you would consider big boy hires.
Honestly, I spend almost no time researching coaches. I barely know the names of any coaches who haven't worked for Miami. When people mention guys, I sometimes look them up to see if I think they sound good, and sometimes I don't. So no, I can't give you names, but a quick look around here will provide you with several names that others have suggested.

What I can do is say I don't think my knowledge of particular prospects has much to do with being able to say what kind of coach I'd prefer. I don't know the particulars of blocking schemes, but I can see when an OL is getting pushed around. I can see when the line itself isn't getting any push. I can see when the RB is getting contacted at or behind the LOS. In short, I can see if the scheme is working or not.

So what I want is a guy who's had more than one year's experience being the primary play-caller at a major college or in the NFL. I also think whoever it is has to be able to adapt to our players as opposed to insisting they run a scheme if they aren't able. No Whipple making noodle arm QBs throw late deep balls all game. No Richt insisting that we line up against a superior DL and run right at them. Bonus points if he's a good recruiter or if he's had success at multiple jobs. I think a guy like that gives us the best chance of winning.

Honestly, I spend almost no time researching coaches. I barely know the names of any coaches who haven't worked for Miami. When people mention guys, I sometimes look them up to see if I think they sound good, and sometimes I don't. So no, I can't give you names, but a quick look around here will provide you with several names that others have suggested.

What I can do is say I don't think my knowledge of particular prospects has much to do with being able to say what kind of coach I'd prefer. I don't know the particulars of blocking schemes, but I can see when an OL is getting pushed around. I can see when the line itself isn't getting any push. I can see when the RB is getting contacted at or behind the LOS. In short, I can see if the scheme is working or not.

So what I want is a guy who's had more than one year's experience being the primary play-caller at a major college or in the NFL. I also think whoever it is has to be able to adapt to our players as opposed to insisting they run a scheme if they aren't able. No Whipple making noodle arm QBs throw late deep balls all game. No Richt insisting that we line up against a superior DL and run right at them. Bonus points if he's a good recruiter or if he's had success at multiple jobs. I think a guy like that gives us the best chance of winning.
Thats a lot of standards while you have no names to present.

In short: You will be disappointed by the hire no matter who it is.

I guess if you have enough knowledge to say peoples suggestions aren't a take I just expected you to be able to throw a candidate or two of your own. But I feel your overall point. I'm no expert myself.

Advertisement
Thats a lot of standards while you have no names to present.

In short: You will be disappointed by the hire no matter who it is.
1. More than 1 year playcalling for a major college/NFL team
2. Can adapt to his personnel

That's only 2 things. I guess if that's too much to ask we could just settle for the first one.

I guess if you have enough knowledge to say peoples suggestions aren't a take I just expected you to be able to throw a candidate or two of your own. But I feel your overall point. I'm no expert myself.
If I thought Mario was going to call me for advice I'd start reading up on candidates. Since that's not happening, I'm just throwing out what I'd like to see and what I wouldn't like to see.

Yeah, I said it! And I didn’t stutter either, so read it again: Spencer Whipple for OC

The why’s:

Been around the game his entire life and knows offense and QBing like an ace

Played QB all his life and played at Miami

Young, energetic…could be great on the recruiting trail, because he could sell Miami and the program as well as anyone (he’s played here)

A rising star in the NFL ranks and could be an OC at that league in a year or 2

Has already called plays for the cardinals and called a brilliant game

Coaches with Kliff Kilngsberry on the Cardinals staff and is well versed with the Air Raid scheme

Has a coaches mind and a QBs mind

Perfect fit for TVD

I like Brady and I know many are high on him, but I hope Mario makes a call to Whipple
I'll whisper Spencer Whipple into Mirabal's ear tomorrow at Versailles.

Whipple is likely going to be an OC as early as next year in the NFL. At his age, he's on a fast track to being an NFL head coach. Not ruling out if he would come, but my guess is it would come down to what it always does Money.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back