Spencer Whipple for OC

Advertisement
No first time play callers... We are in the market for an experienced big $$ play-caller. I would take Graham Harrell for OC
If a guy is calling plays at the NFL level, then he knows what he's doing even if it's in a limited role. The NFL is much more detailed in the weekly game planning.

I'd rather have a young innovative coach over one who has experience, but is limited.

A bunch of people wanted Joe Brady as OC before he decided to stick with the NFL. What experience as a play caller/OC did he have before joining LSU? NONE. Here you have Whipple who checks more boxes than Brady did before joining LSU.

Unless we get a veteran rock star OC (I don't know any on the market), I'd be fine with Whpple. Perhaps pair him with a veteran assistant.

You have to identify talent and not be afraid to put it to work. Who would have thought to hire 30 year old Sean McVay as the youngest
NFL head coach with no HC experience at any level and only 3 years as an offensive coordinator for the NFL Washington team where he had no prior OC experience before that job?

Scared money makes no money!!! Fortune favors the brave!!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah, I said it! And I didn’t stutter either, so read it again: Spencer Whipple for OC

The why’s:

Been around the game his entire life and knows offense and QBing like an ace

Played QB all his life and played at Miami

Young, energetic…could be great on the recruiting trail, because he could sell Miami and the program as well as anyone (he’s played here)

A rising star in the NFL ranks and could be an OC at that league in a year or 2

Has already called plays for the cardinals and called a brilliant game

Coaches with Kliff Kilngsberry on the Cardinals staff and is well versed with the Air Raid scheme

Has a coaches mind and a QBs mind

Perfect fit for TVD

I like Brady and I know many are high on him, but I hope Mario makes a call to Whipple
Sad part is the majority of this fan base is against giving up and coming yet obviously talented coaches a shot before they have a breakout year. The most frustrating part to me is realizing that the candidate is likely to ever end up here after the break out year and the fact that young coaches usually stick around when given that chance somewhere we always want to poach them instead of being the school that provides the opportunity. Great post. Great foresight. Obvious talent. Homerun candidate. Imagine getting a Kliff Kingsburry/Whipple deciple before his name gets hot. Hmmm almost like how LSU grabbed a nobody offensive assistant from the Saints before he became a household name but Miami fans don't respect foresight.

PS same fan base that in its infinite wisdom had wet panties for Major $uckin Applewhite a few years back. Who was ended up and analyst at Bama in 2019 but landed on his feet at powerhouse program South Alabama in 2021.

Last edited:
Are people seriously trashing Spencer? I know it’s easy to laugh about Mark Whipple but he just developed (potentially) the #1 QB taken in the NFL draft. And coached a pretty decent Pitt offense during his time there.

His son is now coaching at one of the best NFL teams under a very strong offensive mind in Kliff. He even called an actual real NFL game and was EXTREMELY successful. This is a guy that will probably be getting calls that would elevate him to a position coach next year.

But some of you hate the thought of Spencer being a potentially good coach because his last name is Whipple? Y’all are weird.

Last edited:
At a time when we finally have the funds to make big-boy hires, I’m baffled by the names that keep being mentioned. I’m hopeful that, unlike CIS porsters, Mario is more concerned with proven results than being able to say “told ya so” later. Let’s skip the rising stars and find a guy who’s already proven he can do the job.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sad part is the majority of this fan base is against giving up and coming yet obviously talented coaches a shot before they have a breakout year. The most frustrating part to me is realizing that the candidate is likely to ever end up here after the break out year and the fact that young coaches usually stick around when given that chance somewhere we always want to poach them instead of being the school that provides the opportunity. Great post. Great foresight. Obvious talent. Homerun candidate. Imagine getting a Kliff Kingsburry/Whipple deciple before his name gets hot. Hmmm almost like how LSU grabbed a nobody offensive assistant from the Saints before he became a household name but Miami fans don't respect foresight.

PS same fan base that in its infinite wisdom had wet panties for Major $uckin Applewhite a few years back. Who was ended up and analyst at Bama in 2019 but landed on his feet at powerhouse program South Alabama in 2021.

No up and coming rising star coaches. Only established names with a wow factor.... but not such a wow factor that they might get hired by another team. But they should be highly highly sought after. That way we can have immediate success with an explosive offense or defense and not have to worry about other teams wanting that coach.

No up and coming rising star coaches. Only established names with a wow factor.... but not such a wow factor that they might get hired by another team. But they should be highly highly sought after. That way we can have immediate success with an explosive offense or defense and not have to worry about other teams wanting that coach.
Got an example of coach with wow factor but not enough to get hired by another team?

05E0AAF2-D16E-42E3-A846-B078B11CE6D3.gif

Advertisement

At a time when we finally have the funds to make big-boy hires, I’m baffled by the names that keep being mentioned. I’m hopeful that, unlike CIC porsters, Mario is more concerned with proven results than being able to say “told ya so” later. Let’s skip the rising stars and find a guy who’s already proven he can do the job.
No troll honest question... In your opinion can you give me a few names you would consider big boy hires.

No troll honest question... In your opinion can you give me a few names you would consider big boy hires.

Advertisement
You do realize any coach proven or otherwise that comes here and has success will end up with your "wow" factor and will then be in danger of being hired away anyway, right ?

My reply was 100% sarcasm. The list of wants and dont wants you see in the threads are unrealistic and dumb. No young coaches who are highly regarded because they don't have the "experience". Only proven coaches. But not ones so great they will get hired away in a year.

I don't have the football IQ some do, but I'd go after a Herman, Whipple, Kafka.. etc.. No clue how realistic any of those are. I'd also take a shot at Will Healy.

Advertisement
Back