Off-Topic Space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of NASA

I mean, this is totally out of my area of expertise, so I’m just like a noob reading National Geographic or something, but my understanding is that it hit at an oblique angle, and that the moon has, or is made up of a lot of the earth’s mantle, which is less dense than the entire earth. The whole thing is just so incredibly freaky to imagine - basically two planets crashing into each other like that, the amount of energy involved is mind-boggling.

Off the top of my head, I think they’ve identified two galaxies crashing into each other somewhere out there. Although the timescale involved is hard for a human, like me, to even comprehend.
Yeah we're built to survive on earth, we just don't have the intuition to understand space and time on a cosmic scale. That being said I can't wait to see more pics from the Webb Space telescope, it's kinda crazy to think that its only been since the 90s w/ Hubble that we've had the understanding of how galaxy-dense the observable universe is.

Advertisement
There is actually an explanation, partly explained by the theory of Theia. Which is the theory of how the moon was formed by a Mars sized object, colliding with the Earth, what a mess. Also, it apparently has a comparatively smaller iron core than the Earth. Sorry, I’m just a nerd about this stuff.
So... not a giant spaceship made by long extinct aliens powered by a captured white dwarf?

Yeah we're built to survive on earth, we just don't have the intuition to understand space and time on a cosmic scale. That being said I can't wait to see more pics from the Webb Space telescope, it's kinda crazy to think that its only been since the 90s w/ Hubble that we've had the understanding of how galaxy-dense the observable universe is.

You want to cogitate on something? What was there before the Big Bang? How and why did it happen? Did it just come out of nowhere? What made it go boom? We literally went from nothingness to a universe full of wonders.

You want to cogitate on something? What was there before the Big Bang? How and why did it happen? Did it just come out of nowhere? What made it go boom? We literally went from nothingness to a universe full of wonders.
Do you believe random explosions out of nothing can result in “a universe full of wonders”?

Sort of like how all of those state of the art high rise condos suddenly popped up on their own in southwest FL right after the last hurricane swept through…

Order comes from disorder?

Advertisement
We're not tuned to ever answer that question. We're tuned to survive life on this tiny rock in a sea of billions of galaxies. We should strive to understand even our own perceptions of reality before we try to unravel the secrets of the universes origins.

1671662506358.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back