Off-Topic Space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of NASA

I'd argue otherwise. The research and development that goes into such endeavors pays huge dividends in other areas. It's money far better spent than on social media technology, weapons, or political lobbying.
Well, if my choices are:

a) Spend tons of money on colonizing space, that will never result in actually colonizing space, but will end up producing some really cool tech to be used in everyday life applications

Or

b) Spend tons of money on funding unnecessary foreign wars and whatnot

Then, yeah, I guess I would sort of prefer choice “a” if those are my only two options.

Advertisement
Well, if my choices are:

a) Spend tons of money on colonizing space, that will never result in actually colonizing space, but will end up producing some really cool tech to be used in everyday life applications

Or

b) Spend tons of money on funding unnecessary foreign wars and whatnot

Then, yeah, I guess I would sort of prefer choice “a” if those are my only two options.
Realistically, b) will happen because there are votes to be bought and cronies to enrich.

Imagine inexpensive, abundant energy.

1710387307795.gif

Advertisement
Or one of these,

Impressive.

But that thing isn’t observing any of exoplanets.

Advertisement
What was actually observed?
HD 209458 b; an exoplanet 157 lightyears away from the Milky Way

What was observed:

- The transits of the planet around its Star
- The Mass
- The radius
- The orbital period
- The eccentricity
- The Inclination of the highest altitude point of the planets surface
- The radial velocity semi-amplitude
- The atmosphere
- The Cosmochemistry
- The Albedo
- The surface gravity
- The temperature
- The revolution period around its Star

A whole bunch more.

This planet was not & is not theorized; it was actually seen & detected spectroscopically.

What was observed:

- The Mass
- The radius
- The orbital period
- The eccentricity
- The atmosphere
- The Cosmochemistry
- The Albedo
- The surface gravity
- The temperature

A whole bunch more.

This planet was not & is not theorized; it was actually seen & detected spectroscopically.

Indirect Detection​

Astronomers have had much better success at indirectly detecting extrasolar planets. Instead of detecting the planet, they infer its existence by observing the effects that it has on its parent star. Remember that both the star and the planet move around a common center of mass.

What was observed:

- The Mass
- The radius
- The orbital period
- The eccentricity
- The atmosphere
- The Cosmochemistry
- The Albedo
- The surface gravity
- The temperature

A whole bunch more.

Is it an M class planet?

Advertisement
Imagine inexpensive, abundant energy.

I think most "futurists" agree that cheap abundant power will drive the future in almost all areas. Space travel is nice, but it is almost certain to be conducted by robots. The tech it spins off would be cool, but if there was cheap power on earth, there would be abundant water, food and shelter. That would end the need for most wars as everyone would have all they need and desire.

Advertisement
I think most "futurists" agree that cheap abundant power will drive the future in almost all areas. Space travel is nice, but it is almost certain to be conducted by robots. The tech it spins off would be cool, but if there was cheap power on earth, there would be abundant water, food and shelter. That would end the need for most wars as everyone would have all they need and desire.
As long as people desire power over other people, there will be wars.

Advertisement
Back