SP+ Top 10 defenses for 2020

Any chance the defensive stats decline due to the new offense being put into play? Scoring faster, less time off the clock on drives, quick 3 and outs at times, etc.

Advertisement
We can micro-analyze our defense to death but the reality for this team hasn't changed. Week in and week out, with very few exceptions, they will play a solid game and hold opposing offenses well below their season averages in yards and points.

Field a decent, consistent offense and we will win 10+ games. It was the case last season and the season before that.

Need to be playing with the lead so the DL can shine. Then nickel CB and overall CB depth are the only concerns.

Teams that keep the score close and have fusion with the run/pass game could give the LBs major problems. 55 and 56 had issues with gap integrity and coverage assignments and it's likely only getting worse.

Advertisement
Need to be playing with the lead so the DL can shine. Then nickel CB and overall CB depth are the only concerns.

Teams that keep the score close and have fusion with the run/pass game could give the LBs major problems. 55 and 56 had issues with gap integrity and coverage assignments and it's likely only getting worse.

If Ivey plays with better awareness, I think Couch will shine as nickel/reserve.

Gap integrity seemed like a systemic issue. When guys guessed right, it looked great. Guess wrong? Not so much.

That's what I'm saying our DLINe is gonna make life easier on our secondary and I think Huff and Brooks are gonna be the 2 best linebackers we've had around here in a while!! Much better than Shaq and pink and that's no disrespect at all it's big shoes to fill but those youngins are just good and fast! They were both alpha males in HS! The first time I saw Sam Brooks was the game he tore his ACL his Jr year and I think he had like 8 tackles 5 tkl and and 3 sacks and the game wasn't over he was by the best player on the field dude was underated because of the injury should have been a 5* imo! Huff is elite also I'm excited to see those two!

With you on the LB's. I'm very, very excited about Huff. I honestly don't get the reverence for Shaq. I appreciate his dedication and commitment and having great character, but I don't think he was ever THAT good. He's not on the list of all-time great 'Canes backers.

Sports world has gone stat crazy. Not saying it is wrong because they are best available predictor of what is to come. They do not allow for the fact any given game could be a huge outlier. Why I take stats with a grain of salt and use my eye test during the game itself and try not to get overly optimistic before any game

1) Yes they absolutely account for outliers... they're part of any good predictive model or simulation. A good model will say "historically, X % of the time there is a one standard deviation event, two standard deviation event," etc.
2) If you could predict outliers, then you can basically predict the outcome of all games before they're played.

All predictive models do is attempt to ascertain the most likely occurrence based on all available data. If they're predicting what is most likely, they would not predict outliers because those are unlikely events by nature.

Advertisement
Basically no experience at LB and very underwhelming at DT.. I would expect growing pains at times and if someone up the middle steps up defense will be solid again

I was very worried about DT before the start of last year, but expect them to be much improved. Still no alpha in the group, but the rotation is solid.

We can micro-analyze our defense to death but the reality for this team hasn't changed. Week in and week out, with very few exceptions, they will play a solid game and hold opposing offenses well below their season averages in yards and points.

Field a decent, consistent offense and we will win 10+ games. It was the case last season and the season before that.

NO! The defense is awful and we're never gonna win!!!

Advertisement

We definitely need some early season blowouts to get our sophomore DBs some burn

I’m much more concerned about LB depth

McCloud will be great at LB
Brooks should be good too

Imagine how good our pass rush can be if we actually have a lead? Imagine the FSU game over and over.

Hate how the media slurps the $EC, so according to this article 5 of the best defenses will be from there.

Advertisement
We definitely need some early season blowouts to get our sophomore DBs some burn

I’m much more concerned about LB depth

McCloud will be great at LB
Brooks should be good too

McCloud has to show he's improved his angles, tackling and diagnostic skills. Brooks is very good when the play is in front of him. He's fast in a straight line and seems to have an aptitude for run fits. He can blitz from multiple alignments. The issues with Brooks are coverage drops and run/pass reads where he has to change directions and move laterally. He's very matchup and situation dependent.

I think it makes sense to have a rotation of 3-4 guys depending on situation. That should've been the case with 55 and 56 but we never had the depth to get them off the field on 3rd and longs. When it did happen late in the year it was Frierson filling in.

Advertisement
Back