SP+ Top 10 defenses for 2020

Advertisement
If defensive football is only about DE, yup, we're in good shape. But, there's 9 other dudes out there. No mention of any of them.

I noticed that, as well. Quarterman & Pinckney deserved the flack they received b/c imo, they are much better than the inconsistency shown here, but we might be hurt this season losing them. They were dependable, and stable. Our 2nd level scares me, ESPECIALLY w all the pups banged up, projected to miss Spring Ball.

We shall see; we have a lot of storylines that will either take us to the next level or can become an Achilles heel.

It’s going to be o take a lot from the DE’s, and our incredible depth there, to keep the defense up and securing an elite unit. It will be critical on passing downs that they get to the opposing QB or force throws where the secondary can pick them off. I actually think with the addition of athleticism and speed at the LB corps that we will be alright there. Looking for Miller and Nesta to have a collective big year harassing QB’s from the interior and jump starting our TFL. All in all, given the competition we play, there’s no reason not to believe that we’ll carry a Top 20 defense throughout the season in 2020 - who knows maybe even elite Top 10 variation especially if Diaz concentrates his efforts on the defensive side of the ball and allows Lashlee to do his own on offense. I also believe that we’ll be in much more favorable situations simply because the offense will help carry the load for the defense, allowing them to pin their ears back and getting after the QB. We haven’t seen a Top 30 offense in many, many years. We get that to go with our defense? Why can’t it be elite?

Advertisement
If defensive football is only about DE, yup, we're in good shape. But, there's 9 other dudes out there. No mention of any of them.
If you read the article they do not mention a single player for the gator, not sure what they based their decision on regarding them.

I noticed that, as well. Quarterman & Pinckney deserved the flack they received b/c imo, they are much better than the inconsistency shown here, but we might be hurt this season losing them. They were dependable, and stable. Our 2nd level scares me, ESPECIALLY w all the pups banged up, projected to miss Spring Ball.

We shall see; we have a lot of storylines that will either take us to the next level or can become an Achilles heel.

I'll take speed and athleticism at LB over slow and experienced.

Season on D comes down to maturation at S and DT.

CB's will be better especially if Ivey pulls his head out of his ***. We basically return everyone that mattered except Shaq and Pink. DE rotation is much better, DT rotation should be better with the young guys, LB's are faster, Hall has a much needed year under his belt and Bolden is back and going to be a monster.

That said, key injury and things go south REAL fast.

Advertisement
I'll take speed and athleticism at LB over slow and experienced.
That's what I'm saying our DLINe is gonna make life easier on our secondary and I think Huff and Brooks are gonna be the 2 best linebackers we've had around here in a while!! Much better than Shaq and pink and that's no disrespect at all it's big shoes to fill but those youngins are just good and fast! They were both alpha males in HS! The first time I saw Sam Brooks was the game he tore his ACL his Jr year and I think he had like 8 tackles 5 tkl and and 3 sacks and the game wasn't over he was by the best player on the field dude was underated because of the injury should have been a 5* imo! Huff is elite also I'm excited to see those two!

Advertisement

Returning LB production has the weakest correlation to defensive success. Analytic models will factor that in when doing projections. Or at least they should.

Advertisement
I think the combo of us scoring twice as many points this year as last year, will play right into the strength of our D - the pass rush. The combo of Lashlee+King+more talent than any team we play in the regular season = we should score a lot of points and quickly. We should be ahead early in most games, which should give our DE's plenty of opportunities to pin their ears back and rack up sacks.

Sports world has gone stat crazy. Not saying it is wrong because they are best available predictor of what is to come. They do not allow for the fact any given game could be a huge outlier. Why I take stats with a grain of salt and use my eye test during the game itself and try not to get overly optimistic before any game

Basically no experience at LB and very underwhelming at DT.. I would expect growing pains at times and if someone up the middle steps up defense will be solid again

Advertisement
Back