South Florida- Home of the Trenches

It’s great to hear that weight restrictions at the youth level are being changed. Lots of kids are just naturally big and have a helluva time making the “weight”. When I played in my Optomist club in the 60’s, there were several kids that were unable to play because they were “big”. Broke their hearts and those of our friends.
Obviously, being able to play earlier will surely help their development.

When I played, people that were "too big" just got put in their weight class regardless of age. Never seen anyone that got turned down for being too big. There was always a high enough weight class to fit. What sucked was coaches who cheated their players on weigh-ins if you were new to the park or they didn't know you. I remember when I was borderline for a weight class (think it was 100s or 115s) and they told me I could be B team or drop weight. So I took that starting NT spot in a heart beat. fck i look like playing on a B team

Advertisement
When I played, people that were "too big" just got put in their weight class regardless of age. Never seen anyone that got turned down for being too big. There was always a high enough weight class to fit. What sucked was coaches who cheated their players on weigh-ins if you were new to the park or they didn't know you. I remember when I was borderline for a weight class (think it was 100s or 115s) and they told me I could be B team or drop weight. So I took that starting NT spot in a heart beat. fck i look like playing on a B team
We had 3 weight classes back then in the late 60's; 90, 110, 130. You could add pounds per game depending on the weight class. Due to the lack of numbers having been the first year of the program at PPO, I started with the 130's right away as a 9 year old - at center and MLB no less. Got my *** whipped that first year in the North Dade League!
After 2 years, we got a new HC and after tryouts, he came over to me and said son, I don't know why you're at center and MLB but you'll now be a RB and FS. Changed my number from double nickel - 55 - to the double deuce - 22.

We had 3 weight classes back then in the late 60's; 90, 110, 130. You could add pounds per game depending on the weight class. Due to the lack of numbers having been the first year of the program at PPO, I started with the 130's right away as a 9 year old - at center and MLB no less. Got my *** whipped that first year in the North Dade League!
After 2 years, we got a new HC and after tryouts, he came over to me and said son, I don't know why you're at center and MLB but you'll now be a RB and FS. Changed my number from double nickel - 55 - to the double deuce - 22.

****, I played in 06 or 07 I think. There was Peewee, then 70, 80, 90, then some parks had 100, 115s, 135s, 165s...it was a crazy amount of teams. I played at North Miami Dolphins(I think they're the West Dade Seminoles now) and North Dade Bulldogs

****, I played in 06 or 07 I think. There was Peewee, then 70, 80, 90, then some parks had 100, 115s, 135s, 165s...it was a crazy amount of teams. I played at North Miami Dolphins(I think they're the West Dade Seminoles now) and North Dade Bulldogs
Unreal how much it has changed mainly due to the obvious population growth. I played at Pembroke Pines Optomist in it’s first year and we had a total of 28 kids. Played there for 7 years and by then we finally had enough kids to field 3 teams. Still was only about 25-30 per team.

Advertisement
I know it's been asked but no one has answered, so I'll ask again. Who do we have a shot at? It's nice to see all of these big uglies in SFl, but I don't care if they'll be playing for someone else.

I think we're gonna start seeing WAY more elite offensive linemen & defensive tackles out of the Tri-County area now that Pop Warner got rid of weight limits. Kids are gonna show up to summer JV practices already weighing 230 & ready to be molded

ThEse KiDs R dIvAs bro.

ThEy wiLL B BuSt cUz DeY EnTiTLed SOfla KidS.

On a serious tip this is great anything they increases the variety and quality Of players in our base is huge.

Advertisement
This is crazy to me. So in the north we are removing tackling from the middle school game to help prevent concussions yet in the south your allowing even bigger kid to compete with smaller kids at a much younger age. How can you justify that given how unprepared youth coaches are in recognizing concussion symptoms?
Not saying one is right or wrong, but the dynamic is so interesting. I’ve always thought the 7v7 model would be best for young kids and let big kids catch passes or just like 3v3 live on the line type of thing. But it’s obviously a much different game down there then up here. So obviously my opinion is skewed based on my experiences.

Sorry to derail the OP.

This is why most of best football is played in the south and the best players come from the south. It just means more down here.

Go Canes

Last edited:
I know it's been asked but no one has answered, so I'll ask again. Who do we have a shot at? It's nice to see all of these big uglies in SFl, but I don't care if they'll be playing for someone else.
Elite DTs get incentivized to play in the SEC. that’s why your question is unanswered. Depends on who is left after bags have been delivered.

Advertisement
Unreal how much it has changed mainly due to the obvious population growth. I played at Pembroke Pines Optomist in it’s first year and we had a total of 28 kids. Played there for 7 years and by then we finally had enough kids to field 3 teams. Still was only about 25-30 per team.

PPO is a top 3 optomist program in south florida. Have 2 current kids playing in the super bowl 2nite

PPO is a top 3 optomist program in south florida. Have 2 current kids playing in the super bowl 2nite
Who are they prop joe? When we first started out, we were by the sewer plant and they called us Sewer City!

Advertisement
I love the talent upgrade in the trenches. But again, who does Miami have a shot with?

got To capitalize. South Florida is loaded with lineman again in 2021

Advertisement
Back