South Florida- Home of the Trenches

Tighten up @DMoney

Screenshot_2020-01-31-23-27-34(1).png

Advertisement
Excited to watch him at CC. I’m also a fan of Boaz. He is really quick for a massive 1-tech.
Massive kid that is winning by sheer size now in HS. I heard he is around 340 and by looking at his physique he needs to monitor weight as conditioning in some games I saw him resulted in taking some plays off. But that can be solved as he has the athletic ability for someone that size.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Boaz is a classic NT, I actually think he's perfect in 3-4 but would still recruit him here in our system.

For his size, he's got really quick feet, reminds me of Louis Nix from Notre Dame.
With Taylor already being taken care of, Collins iffy what DTs and do you think we have a legit chance with?

You had to make weight down here..I’ve seen barbaric avenues taking fir this to happen in broward. I can’t speak for Dade but I’m sure you’d find the same stories . From body suits and water diet a week b4 games to giving kids **** pills the day before up until weigh in..it was ridiculous. I played with a kid who the coaches made wear garbage bags under his pads the week b4 games to assure he weighed in
I rode around in circles around our park in the back of a covered pickup truck in garbage bags to drop weight for weigh ins in the 90’s.

Advertisement
That is great to hear, especially about youth leagues getting rid of the silly weight limits. Now you need schools to invest in good weight training programs. I believe you when you say the talent is there, but these players are still starting their college career behind other players who had solid weight programs in high school.
This is crazy to me. So in the north we are removing tackling from the middle school game to help prevent concussions yet in the south your allowing even bigger kid to compete with smaller kids at a much younger age. How can you justify that given how unprepared youth coaches are in recognizing concussion symptoms?
Not saying one is right or wrong, but the dynamic is so interesting. I’ve always thought the 7v7 model would be best for young kids and let big kids catch passes or just like 3v3 live on the line type of thing. But it’s obviously a much different game down there then up here. So obviously my opinion is skewed based on my experiences.

Sorry to derail the OP.

Advertisement
I rode around in circles around our park in the back of a covered pickup truck in garbage bags to drop weight for weigh ins in the 90’s.
Used to sit in my HC's car in a rain suit with the car running and the heat on for an hour. After weigh in, I got to eat anything I wanted - within reason!

You had to make weight down here..I’ve seen barbaric avenues taking fir this to happen in broward. I can’t speak for Dade but I’m sure you’d find the same stories . From body suits and water diet a week b4 games to giving kids **** pills the day before up until weigh in..it was ridiculous. I played with a kid who the coaches made wear garbage bags under his pads the week b4 games to assure he weighed in

They would do that for some of the kids up here too to make sure they could still run the ball.

Advertisement
In the late 60's, I was a big boned RB/FS @ PPO. The last 3 years, I had a helluva time making the weight. We started at 135 and added 5 lbs per game until we got to 155. My HC would have me sit in his running car with the heat on for an hour a couple of hours before weigh in a rain suit on top of a sweat suit.

All the major leagues are unlimited weight now from Palm Beach to Dade

I used to use the trash bags for wrestling. It’s definitely dangerous for big kids. But I’m not sure unlimited weight in youth football is a good answer. That seems more dangerous for everyone.

Advertisement
Back