South Florida- Home of the Trenches

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The cliche is that South Florida doesn't produce big boys. We saw a change last year with 5 South Florida OL signing with Top 10 programs. Now, we are seeing layers of talent on both sides of the line. The removal of weight restrictions at the youth football level suggests this trend will only continue.

On the OL, Marcus Tate (University) and Laurence Seymore (Central) are elite players who can play anywhere. Michael McClaughlin (Douglas), Ryan Rodriguez (Columbus), Kareem Harden (Stranahan), Michael Marshall (Norland) and Andrew Weisz (Benjamin) all have Power 5 offers early in the process. Others will emerge.

At DT, it's one of the best years ever. Leonard Taylor (Palmetto), Tyreak Sapp (STA), Savion Collins (Palmetto) and Anthony Hundley (Booker T) are all attracting high-end P5 interest. Allan Haye (Chaminade) is heading in that direction with quick Miami and Louisville offers. And there are two legit pluggers in Boaz Saint Vil (STA) and Reggie Session (Carol City) who are getting offers daily.

It's an exciting time to recruit in South Florida. You can fill a lot of needs at positions that used to be barren. We need to start winning.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Those are some big time names and more will emerge, hopefully we can open the minds of some of these kid dogs. No point to even recruit Tate since he's committed to Clemson. Are Taylor and Sapp UF locks, with Collins potentially flipping there too?

The cliche is that South Florida doesn't produce big boys. We saw a change last year with 5 South Florida OL signing with Top 10 programs. Now, we are seeing layers of talent on both sides of the line. The removal of weight restrictions at the youth football level suggests this trend will only continue.

On the OL, Marcus Tate (University) and Laurence Seymore (Central) are elite players who can play anywhere. Michael McClaughlin (Douglas), Ryan Rodriguez (Columbus), Kareem Harden (Stranahan), Michael Marshall (Norland) and Andrew Weisz (Benjamin) all have Power 5 offers early in the process. Others will emerge.

At DT, it's one of the best years ever. Leonard Taylor (Palmetto), Tyreak Sapp (STA), Savion Collins (Palmetto) and Anthony Hundley (Booker T) are all attracting high-end P5 interest. Allan Haye (Chaminade) is heading in that direction with quick Miami and Louisville offers. And there are two legit pluggers in Boaz Saint Vil (STA) and Reggie Sessions (Carol City) who are getting offers daily.

It's an exciting time to recruit in South Florida. You can fill a lot of needs at positions that used to be barren. We need to start winning.

That is great to hear, especially about youth leagues getting rid of the silly weight limits. Now you need schools to invest in good weight training programs. I believe you when you say the talent is there, but these players are still starting their college career behind other players who had solid weight programs in high school.

Advertisement
It’s great to hear that weight restrictions at the youth level are being changed. Lots of kids are just naturally big and have a helluva time making the “weight”. When I played in my Optomist club in the 60’s, there were several kids that were unable to play because they were “big”. Broke their hearts and those of our friends.
Obviously, being able to play earlier will surely help their development.

Advertisement
Curious about the weight restrictions for the optimist leagues down here. Where I grew up and played in Virginia you just weren’t allowed advance the ball (skill positions)if you were over the weight but still could play. Did they not let the chubby kids play?

Advertisement
Curious about the weight restrictions for the optimist leagues down here. Where I grew up and played in Virginia you just weren’t allowed advance the ball (skill positions)if you were over the weight but still could play. Did they not let the chubby kids play?
You had to make weight down here..I’ve seen barbaric avenues taking fir this to happen in broward. I can’t speak for Dade but I’m sure you’d find the same stories . From body suits and water diet a week b4 games to giving kids **** pills the day before up until weigh in..it was ridiculous. I played with a kid who the coaches made wear garbage bags under his pads the week b4 games to assure he weighed in

Advertisement
Back