South Florida '22- The QBs

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
After producing numerous five-star caliber players last year, this is a down year overall in South Florida. The skill positions are especially weak. Nonetheless, history tells us that a bunch of these guys will emerge as great college football players and future pros.

The first position up is quarterback. Believe it or not, South Florida QBs have already started 31 NFL games this season between six different QBs (Lamar Jackson, Teddy Bridgewater, Jacolby Brissett, Geno Smith, Mike White and Tyler Huntley). That’s almost 10% of the total games in the league. One thing all of those guys have in common is height. The region has been dry lately, as the good QBs have lacked the size to merit serious P5 looks. This year’s group is similar with a couple of really good football players who lack the size of true big-time prospects.

Carson Haggard- 5’11, 175 (Gulliver)- Undersized but highly efficient distributor. 69 TDs and 11 INTs in his career. Live feet in the pocket. Accurate with average arm strength. Also excelled with Miami Immortals 7on7 team. Tulane commit.

Peter Zamora, 6’0, 200 (Westside, SC)- Another undersized passer with natural passing ability. Moved to South Carolina from Broward during pandemic. Quick release and quick eyes. 4,800 yards, 64%, 47 TDs and 13 picks for his career. Average size and twitch. 4.67 GPA. Marshall commit.

Zion Turner, 6’1, 190 (St. Thomas)- Three-year starter at the nation’s premier NFL factory. Recruiting died down after early hype, but he has bounced back with a solid senior year. 64% passer, 1,637 yards, 19 TDs and 5 picks. First-step quickness and RB build allows him to make the first rusher miss. More of a mobile pocket passer than true dual threat. Ball jumps out of his hand. G5 type.

Dominiq Ponder, 6’4, 183 (Carol City)- Raw and lanky with upside. Transferred from run-first Naples. Live arm with potential for more velocity as he adds weight and technique. Can already make stick throws. Solid athlete who can throw on the run. Opened eyes at 7on7 tournament in Nevada.

Fernando Mendoza, 6’5, 215 (Columbus)- Big-bodied, pro-style passer. Not twitchy but showed improved ability to throw off-platform as a senior. Solid arm strength. Numbers are average in run-based offense. Surprised he didn’t get more FBS attention given his dimensions. Yale commit.

Kevin Smith, 6’3, 225 (Palmetto)- Large QB who looks the part. Not a huge arm despite his size, more of a dart tosser. Has struggled at times as a senior and was temporarily benched.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11470569/5fd80984f31d251014fd2b67

Zo’Marion Harper, 5’11, 210 (Clewiston)- Instinctive playmaker with squatty build. Glades Central transfer. Arm talent only OK, needs to tighten up release. Palm Beach Offensive Player of the Year in 2020.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11692258/5fa995398cdf290a301b0eb7

Brady Kelly, 6’1, 195 (Calvary Christian)- Gibbons transfer who has had a strong senior year. 1,719 yards, 58%, 16 TDS and 5 INTs. Clean pocket passer with footwork and throws on time. Average physical tools. DII offers.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10766030/613b9814da512a0688802490

Advertisement
4.67 GPA. Marshall commit.
how is that even possible neil degrasse tyson GIF by StarTalk Radio with Neil deGrasse Tyson

I just done see any of these guys being the nfl surprise years down the road. But crazier things have happened
Height seems to be the differentiator. I can see a couple being good college players, though. Ponder can be interesting if he develops a lot.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Weighted GPA. When we went to HS freshman orientation, they listed the GPA requirements get in the various FL state colleges and one was 4.1 to 4.5 GPA.

Weighted GPA. When we went to HS freshman orientation, they listed the GPA requirements get in the various FL state colleges and one was 4.1 to 4.5 GPA.
I got that part (I had a weighted GPA, #humblebrag). It was more that Marshall is typically viewed as an academic casualty school.

I got that part (I had a weighted GPA, #humblebrag). It was more that Marshall is typically viewed as an academic casualty school.
Ah, gotcha.

We didn't have fancy weighted GPAs when I was a kid.

Advertisement
Years ago Palmer had a guy named Mike Haggard with the same measurables. Really good high school QB. I think he played some baseball in college. Wonder if that's his kid.

Years ago Palmer had a guy named Mike Haggard with the same measurables. Really good high school QB. I think he played some baseball in college. Wonder if that's his kid.
This is his dad. Big trial attorney, FSU trustee. Same guy?

This is his dad. Big trial attorney, FSU trustee. Same guy?

Yup! That's him. Great guy. Worked with him at a summer camp. Really good people. He ran the wishbone and the triple option back then but could also sling it. Dad was actually about 5'9" in reality and I'm betting it's the same for the kid.

Advertisement
Santino Marucci was the only FLA QB to sign with a P5 team in the 2021 class. (IMG kids don’t count).

There were 7 FL QB’s who signed with G5 schools, Nick Vattiato who signed with Midd Tenn St was the only one from South FL. The rest were Central & North FL kids.

The 2020 class had 10 FL QB’s who signed, 5 with P5 schools (Jeff Sims & Tucker Gleason - GTech, Carson Beck - UGA, Garrett Greene - West VA & Deuce Spann - Illinois), all of them were from Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Saint Petersburg & Tampa.

The remaining 5 signed with G5 schools, only two from South FL, Katravis Marsh at USF & Michael Pratt at Tulane.

2019 had 13 prospects sign, 3 with P5 schools (Brian Maurer - Tenn, Nik Scalzo - Kentucky & RJ Harvey - UVA).

The remaining 10 signed with G5 & FCs schools, Daniel Richardson from Carol City has been the best & only starter out of the bunch.

The 2018 class was even worse, the only noteworthy QB & starter was Michael Penix Jr at Indiana.

In the future going forward, for 2023 FL has Dylan Rizk at Gibbons (the younger brother of our 4th string QB Ryan Rizk), Ahmad Haston from PBC, Keyone “Lights Out” Jenkins, Taron “Tyger” ****ens & a couple of other Central/North FL kids.

And 2024 has the potential star Tyler Aronson & Adrian Posse.

It’ll be interesting to see how QB recruiting goes for the future regime.

Santino Marucci was the only FLA QB to sign with a P5 team in the 2021 class. (IMG kids don’t count).

There were 7 FL QB’s who signed with G5 schools, Nick Vattiato who signed with Midd Tenn St was the only one from South FL. The rest were Central & North FL kids.

The 2020 class had 10 FL QB’s who signed, 5 with P5 schools (Jeff Sims & Tucker Gleason - GTech, Carson Beck - UGA, Garrett Greene - West VA & Deuce Spann - Illinois), all of them were from Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Saint Petersburg & Tampa.

The remaining 5 signed with G5 schools, only two from South FL, Katravis Marsh at USF & Michael Pratt at Tulane.

2019 had 13 prospects sign, 3 with P5 schools (Brian Maurer - Tenn, Nik Scalzo - Kentucky & RJ Harvey - UVA).

The remaining 10 signed with G5 & FCs schools, Daniel Richardson from Carol City has been the best & only starter out of the bunch.

The 2018 class was even worse, the only noteworthy QB & starter was Michael Penix Jr at Indiana.

In the future going forward, for 2023 FL has Dylan Rizk at Gibbons (the younger brother of our 4th string QB Ryan Rizk), Ahmad Haston from PBC, Keyone “Lights Out” Jenkins, Taron “Tyger” ****ens & a couple of other Central/North FL kids.

And 2024 has the potential star Tyler Aronson & Adrian Posse.

It’ll be interesting to see how QB recruiting goes for the future regime.
I just watched Jenkins last week vs Heritage, he impressed me scrambling & at times with his accuracy but I think he's a G5 QB

Advertisement
Back