South Florida '22- The EDGEs

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Edge rusher is quickly becoming the most impactful position in South Florida. Joey Bosa, Nick Bosa and Brian Burns all rank in the Top 15 of the NFL in sacks. Greg Rousseau was a Day 1 starter. Nik Bonitto will be a first or second round pick, and Dallas Turner is the future of Bama’s pass rush.

This year is the best ever for local EDGEs. Four elite prospects and six more FBS players. I would be surprised if one or more of these guys don’t develop into first rounders.

Shemar Stewart, 6’5, 270 (Pace)- Massive human who looks like a college senior. His acceleration should be illegal at his size. High-end speed. Somewhat stiff, excels most in a straight line as opposed to bending or changing directions. Competition is weak but he dominates. Similar body type to Allen Bailey and may project best as three-technique.

Marvin Jones Jr., 6’4.5, 245 (American Heritage)- Special athlete who is continuing to grow into his body. Son of Top 5 pick dad and track star mom. Started his career as a WR and maintains those movement skills. Easily bends and changes direction with closing speed. Still slight and may be better suited early on for a Nik Bonnito role where he stands up. Played some TE as a senior. Georgia signee.

Kenyatta Jackson, 6’5, 238 (Chaminade)- Prototypical edge rusher with NFL traits. I thought he was more tools than game early in his career, but he’s as good as anyone now. Gatorade Player of the Year with 14 sacks. Lined up in two-point stance in HS but has the size and play strength to put his hand on the ground. Wins with speed rush outside and lightning-quick inside move. Very good retracing to the QB due to quickness and length. Grandfather and uncles played in NFL. Ohio State signee.

Nyjalik Kelly, 6’4, 240 (Dillard)- Another edge with an NFL profile. Complete rusher who wins with get-off, length, quickness, hand use and bend. Had 25 sacks the past two years and dominated the camp circuit. Won’t turn 18 until midway through his freshman season. Narrow upper-body with long arms and big legs. Ran track early in his career. Advanced against the run. Miami signee.

R Mason Thomas, 6’2, 221 (Cardinal Gibbons)- Late bloomer with big-time tools. One of the fastest players on the Gibbons team. Played RB early in his career. Closes distance in a flash. Runs everything down horizontally. As a pure edge rusher, he is raw and has some tightness. Might fit best as 3-4 OLB in college. Unsigned.

Richard Thomas, 6’2, 250 (American Heritage)- Stout rusher who flies upfield. Similar build to FSU’s Keir Thomas. Can line up inside at times. Strong with good acceleration. Better going straight ahead than changing directions, some hip tightness. Indiana signee

Jamaal Johnson, 6’1.5, 250 (Chaminade)- Doesn’t look like your prototypical edge but is an outstanding football player. Laterally quick with excellent ball awareness. Sets a strong edge despite lack of length. May grow into DT but is athletic enough to stay outside. Even has the ability to run with backs downfield on wheels. UCF signee.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11352029/5f97a4c14797420914b49735

Francois Nolton, 6’4, 240 (Edison)- Lanky, hand-in-the ground EDGE with outstanding production. His early career hype died down to the point where he might be underrated. Started to fill out frame as a senior. Lined up inside and outside and won consistently with basic pass rush plan. Average explosiveness but moves well enough given size. Reminds me of James Head, who started for Indiana via Miami Southridge. Unsigned.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11293455/61a992d94206380bf4b5518f

Claudel Bazile, 6’2, 220 (Miramar)- Undersized but explosive pass rusher who gets upfield. Grown-man strength. Plays with passion. Fluid and flexible mover, might fit best as 3-4 LB. Liberty signee.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13138509/6158c6bea018f9099c2a708d

Dante Anderson, 6’3, 210 (Homestead)- Narrow, undersized rusher who projects more as a 3-4 backer. Good closing speed and lateral quicks. Upright as a rusher and tackler. Was unfairly placed with guys like Stewart and MJJ early in his career. Reminds me of former Cane Ricardo Williams. Committed to FSU, unclear if he will be PWO or scholarship athlete.

Advertisement
Edge rusher is quickly becoming the most impactful position in South Florida. Joey Bosa, Nick Bosa and Brian Burns all rank in the Top 15 of the NFL in sacks. Greg Rousseau was a Day 1 starter. Nik Bonitto will be a first or second round pick, and Dallas Turner is the future of Bama’s pass rush.

This year is the best ever for local EDGEs. Four elite prospects and six more FBS players. I would be surprised if one or more of these guys don’t develop into first rounders.

Shemar Stewart, 6’5, 270 (Pace)- Massive human who looks like a college senior. His acceleration should be illegal at his size. High-end speed. Somewhat stiff, excels most in a straight line as opposed to bending or changing directions. Competition is weak but he dominates. Similar body type to Allen Bailey and may project best as three-technique.

Marvin Jones Jr., 6’4.5, 245 (American Heritage)- Special athlete who is continuing to grow into his body. Son of Top 5 pick dad and track star mom. Started his career as a WR and maintains those movement skills. Easily bends and changes direction with closing speed. Still slight and may be better suited early on for a Nik Bonnito role where he stands up. Played some TE as a senior. Georgia signee.

Kenyatta Jackson, 6’5, 238 (Chaminade)- Prototypical edge rusher with NFL traits. I thought he was more tools than game early in his career, but he’s as good as anyone now. Gatorade Player of the Year with 14 sacks. Lined up in two-point stance in HS but has the size and play strength to put his hand on the ground. Wins with speed rush outside and lightning-quick inside move. Very good retracing to the QB due to quickness and length. Grandfather and uncles played in NFL. Ohio State signee.

Nyjalik Kelly, 6’4, 240 (Dillard)- Another edge with an NFL profile. Complete rusher who wins with get-off, length, quickness, hand use and bend. Had 25 sacks the past two years and dominated the camp circuit. Won’t turn 18 until midway through his freshman season. Narrow upper-body with long arms and big legs. Ran track early in his career. Advanced against the run. Miami signee.

R Mason Thomas, 6’2, 221 (Cardinal Gibbons)- Late bloomer with big-time tools. One of the fastest players on the Gibbons team. Played RB early in his career. Closes distance in a flash. Runs everything down horizontally. As a pure edge rusher, he is raw and has some tightness. Might fit best as 3-4 OLB in college. Unsigned.

Richard Thomas, 6’2, 250 (American Heritage)- Stout rusher who flies upfield. Similar build to FSU’s Keir Thomas. Can line up inside at times. Strong with good acceleration. Better going straight ahead than changing directions, some hip tightness. Indiana signee

Jamaal Johnson, 6’1.5, 250 (Chaminade)- Doesn’t look like your prototypical edge but is an outstanding football player. Laterally quick with excellent ball awareness. Sets a strong edge despite lack of length. May grow into DT but is athletic enough to stay outside. Even has the ability to run with backs downfield on wheels. UCF signee.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11352029/5f97a4c14797420914b49735

Francois Nolton, 6’4, 240 (Edison)- Lanky, hand-in-the ground EDGE with outstanding production. His early career hype died down to the point where he might be underrated. Started to fill out frame as a senior. Lined up inside and outside and won consistently with basic pass rush plan. Average explosiveness but moves well enough given size. Reminds me of James Head, who started for Indiana via Miami Southridge. Unsigned.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11293455/61a992d94206380bf4b5518f

Claudel Bazile, 6’2, 220 (Miramar)- Undersized but explosive pass rusher who gets upfield. Grown-man strength. Plays with passion. Fluid and flexible mover, might fit best as 3-4 LB. Liberty signee.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13138509/6158c6bea018f9099c2a708d

Dante Anderson, 6’3, 210 (Homestead)- Narrow, undersized rusher who projects more as a 3-4 backer. Good closing speed and lateral quicks. Upright as a rusher and tackler. Was unfairly placed with guys like Stewart and MJJ early in his career. Reminds me of former Cane Ricardo Williams. Committed to FSU, unclear if he will be PWO or scholarship athlete.

Perception is reality. If mario can land Stewart to go along with Kelly that is an elite haul. That would sent a serious message to CFB that there is indeed a new sheriff in town

Advertisement
So you just going to leave off the Broward County Defensive Player Of The Year because he's not a big-time P5 prospect?

**** dawg, you hurt my feelings. No loyalty around this *****. 😔

LOL, I tried to limit the more loaded positions to FBS kids. My wife is already ****ed I spend too much time on this.

It was surprising to see Willoughby and Jeudy both end up at Morgan State. Do you think they were victims of the Portal pushing down FBS-caliber high school kids?

Also an undersized kid at edge i coached before he transferred ultimately to Miami Central

https://247sports.com/player/kymani-williams-46103744/
Very technical at the edge position, has nice rip pull move, has went against tough comp throughout high school. Played on the Foreign Boyz optomist program with 20 other div 1 prospects the last 2 classes. Campbell got a steal. Campbell actually got a few steals from down here this clas.

*Also Jamaal Johnson from Chaminade i'm high on. Rocked up kid former UM commit. Im biased a bit as i grew up with 3 of his uncles and they all went on to play div 1 ball at USF. His first cousin is also former FSU qb Deondre Francois.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Broward kids ftw imo. Thomas/MJJ/kelly are special imo. Love thomas’ game.

Also an undersized kid at edge i coached before he transferred ultimately to Miami Central

Very technical at the edge position, has nice rip pull move, has went against tough comp throughout high school. Played on the Foreign Boyz optomist program with 20 other div 1 prospects the last 2 classes. Campbell got a steal. Campbell actually got a few steals from down here this clas.

*Also Jamaal Johnson from Chaminade i'm high on. Rocked up kid former UM commit. Im biased a bit as i grew up with 3 of his uncles and they all went on to play div 1 ball at USF. His first cousin is also former FSU qb Deondre Francois.

Campbell had like 8 3 star guys commited to them this year which is wild. Not sure how many of them will wait till Feb to sign but could be a program changing class for them at their level. They also just hired WVU great Pat White today as their QB Coach/Passing game coordinator.

Advertisement
LOL, I tried to limit the more loaded positions to FBS kids. My wife is already ****ed I spend too much time on this.

It was surprising to see Willoughby and Jeudy both end up at Morgan State. Do you think they were victims of the Portal pushing down FBS-caliber high school kids?
Yeah definitely, portal and covid. We're used to having a revolving door of scouts coming by practice. We barely saw anybody this season.

Funny thing about Willoughby...
I was told he "wasn't that good". 🤷🏻‍♂️
18.5 sacks later...

Funny things happens when you know how to use a kid's specific skill set, move him around a little, etc.
Plus the kid worked his *** off and bought into the scheme.

My step-daughter graduated from Campbell’s pharmacy school in ‘04. They had no football program then let alone much of any other sports. They’ve exploded in the last 10 years or so. Constantly sending her requests for donations. Lol.

It’s in Buie’s Creek, NC. Little hole in the wall town basically at the intersection of I-40 and I-95.

Advertisement
Back