South Florida '19- The DTs

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The cliché is that South Florida doesn’t produce DTs. The truth is that great DTs are hard to find anywhere and are scattered all across the country. The top six DTs picked in the 2018 draft were from California, Alabama, Wyoming, Mississippi, North Carolina and Canada. Of the top 12 DTs, only one state had multiple selections (Florida, with 3).

But in the past two years, several legitimate programs have been shopping for DTs in South Florida. These include Miami (Nesta Silvera, Jon Ford), USC (Jacob Lichtenstein), Florida (Tedarrell Slaton), Tennessee (Kivon Bennett), TCU (George Ellis), Louisville (Jarrett Jackson, Dejmi Dumervil-Jean), Kentucky (Chris Whittaker) and NC State (Davontae McCrae). Lamonte McDougle, now at Washington State, was named a Freshman All-American.

This is one of the deepest years I can remember both in the Tri-County and in Southwest Florida (Quashon Fuller, Jaquaze Sorrells and Derrick Hunter). Expect a bunch of these guys to sign with Power Five schools. With youth football removing weight restrictions, look for more talented big guys to emerge from the South Florida area.

* means verified testing results

Braylen Ingraham- 6’4, 270, 4.88 * (sophomore testing) (St. Thomas Aquinas)- Freak of nature with rare speed at defensive tackle. After transferring from Dillard, Ingraham is beginning to flourish under the coaching of Hall of Famer Jason Taylor. I thought he was the most impressive prospect on the field against DeMatha. Plays inside and outside but projects as a three-technique.

Michael Morris, Jr.- 6’6, 258* (AMH Delray)- Huge-framed, athletic prospect who reminds me of RJ McIntosh. More finesse than physical. For a naturally big player, he has a great ability to get skinny and penetrate. Good production. Also has a ton of upside as a potential OT. FSU legacy committed to Michigan.

Denzel Daxon- 6’2, 315* (Carol City)- Raw, Bahamian-born nose tackle with natural strength. Has already bounced between Norland, Doral and now Carol City. More of a space-eater than disruptor. Did not move well enough for Miami DL coach Jess Simpson, but can play a role with powerful hands and tree-trunk legs. Louisville commit.

Denzel Daxon Junior HL

Jason Munoz- 6’4, 276* (St. Thomas)- Lean, technical three-technique who reminds me of Matt Walters. Had a breakout off-season after missing time earlier in his career. Uses his hands very well. Will need to add strength and mass. Injury has derailed what should have been a breakout season for him as a senior. Miami commit.

Spring HL

Brandon Dorlus- 6’3, 270 (Deerfield Beach)- One of my favorite under-the-radar guys. Gets off the line quick with a nice swim move. Good athlete who played basketball at small-school Calvary before transferring to Deerfield Beach. Body has room to grow. Like the upside. Virginia Tech commit.

Brandon Dorlus HL

Renato Brown- 6’3, 310 (Palm Beach Central)- Nose tackle/guard prospect who may project best on offense. Had a great sophomore year and a so-so junior year. Good natural tools with wide-body and decent movement skills. Well-put together for a bigger guy. Claims offers from Florida, Louisville and Penn State.

Renato Brown HL

Calijah Kancey- 6’1, 264, 5.06* Northwestern)- Freakishly quick tackle prospect who reminds me of Kier Thomas (South Carolina via Miami Central). Light on his feet with the change-of-direction and tackling skills of a linebacker. Also plays some fullback and has legit next level ability at that spot. Only knock is size. Pittsburgh commit.

Calijah Kancey HL

Malcom Ray- 6’2, 245 (Carol City)- Slender, active DT who can get off blocks and make plays. Room to fill out. Very mobile with the ability to bend and tackle. Uses hands well and locates the football. Has impressed early as a senior on a loaded Carol City front. Plays mostly outside but projects inside in college. Committed to USF.

Malcolm Ray HL

Jeramy Passmore- 6’1, 240* (Columbus)- Flexible, productive player who has been making waves since he was a young player. Has played DE but projects as three-technique. Excellent awareness, leverage and first step. Terrorized the Northwestern offensive line a couple weeks ago. Undersized but possesses natural pass rush skills. Committed to Indiana.

Jeramy Passmore HL

Janil Brown- 6’3, 300 (Palm Beach Central)- Enormous DT with height and mass. Transferred from Dwyer. Flashes disruptive ability. Will need to improve mobility at college level. Not as good or athletic, but some similarities to Jordan Miller. Akron commit who might be a little underrated.

Janil Brown HL

Ta’Quan Kinsler- 6’1, 265 (Pahokee)- Athletic DT with pass rush ability. Can change directions quickly and has even played some fullback. Size and power would be the concerns but he can make plays.

Ta'Quan Kinsler HL

Advertisement
The cliché is that South Florida doesn’t produce DTs. The truth is that great DTs are hard to find anywhere and are scattered all across the country. The top six DTs picked in the 2018 draft were from California, Alabama, Wyoming, Mississippi, North Carolina and Canada. Of the top 12 DTs, only one state had multiple selections (Florida, with 3).

But in the past two years, several legitimate programs have been shopping for DTs in South Florida. These include Miami (Nesta Silvera, Jon Ford), USC (Jacob Lichtenstein), Florida (Tedarrell Slaton), Tennessee (Kivon Bennett), TCU (George Ellis), Louisville (Jarrett Jackson, Dejmi Dumervil-Jean), Kentucky (Chris Whittaker) and NC State (Davontae McCrae). Lamonte McDougle, now at Washington State, was named a Freshman All-American.

This is one of the deepest years I can remember both in the Tri-County and in Southwest Florida (Quashon Fuller, Jaquaze Sorrells and Derrick Hunter). Expect a bunch of these guys to sign with Power Five schools. With youth football removing weight restrictions, look for more talented big guys to emerge from the South Florida area.

* means verified testing results

Braylen Ingraham- 6’4, 270, 4.88 * (sophomore testing) (St. Thomas Aquinas)- Freak of nature with rare speed at defensive tackle. After transferring from Dillard, Ingraham is beginning to flourish under the coaching of Hall of Famer Jason Taylor. I thought he was the most impressive prospect on the field against DeMatha. Plays inside and outside but projects as a three-technique.

Michael Morris, Jr.- 6’6, 258* (AMH Delray)- Huge-framed, athletic prospect who reminds me of RJ McIntosh. More finesse than physical. For a naturally big player, he has a great ability to get skinny and penetrate. Good production. Also has a ton of upside as a potential OT. FSU legacy committed to Michigan.

Denzel Daxon- 6’2, 315* (Carol City)- Raw, Bahamian-born nose tackle with natural strength. Has already bounced between Norland, Doral and now Carol City. More of a space-eater than disruptor. Did not move well enough for Miami DL coach Jess Simpson, but can play a role with powerful hands and tree-trunk legs. Louisville commit.

Denzel Daxon Junior HL

Jason Munoz- 6’4, 276* (St. Thomas)- Lean, technical three-technique who reminds me of Matt Walters. Had a breakout off-season after missing time earlier in his career. Uses his hands very well. Will need to add strength and mass. Injury has derailed what should have been a breakout season for him as a senior. Miami commit.

Spring HL

Brandon Dorlus- 6’3, 270 (Deerfield Beach)- One of my favorite under-the-radar guys. Gets off the line quick with a nice swim move. Good athlete who played basketball at small-school Calvary before transferring to Deerfield Beach. Body has room to grow. Like the upside. Virginia Tech commit.

Brandon Dorlus HL

Renato Brown- 6’3, 310 (Palm Beach Central)- Nose tackle/guard prospect who may project best on offense. Had a great sophomore year and a so-so junior year. Good natural tools with wide-body and decent movement skills. Well-put together for a bigger guy. Claims offers from Florida, Louisville and Penn State.

Renato Brown HL

Calijah Kancey- 6’1, 264, 5.06* Northwestern)- Freakishly quick tackle prospect who reminds me of Kier Thomas (South Carolina via Miami Central). Light on his feet with the change-of-direction and tackling skills of a linebacker. Also plays some fullback and has legit next level ability at that spot. Only knock is size. Pittsburgh commit.

Calijah Kancey HL

Malcom Ray- 6’2, 245 (Carol City)- Slender, active DT who can get off blocks and make plays. Room to fill out. Very mobile with the ability to bend and tackle. Uses hands well and locates the football. Has impressed early as a senior on a loaded Carol City front. Plays mostly outside but projects inside in college. Committed to USF.

Malcolm Ray HL

Jeramy Passmore- 6’1, 240* (Columbus)- Flexible, productive player who has been making waves since he was a young player. Has played DE but projects as three-technique. Excellent awareness, leverage and first step. Terrorized the Northwestern offensive line a couple weeks ago. Undersized but possesses natural pass rush skills. Committed to Indiana.

Jeramy Passmore HL

Janil Brown- 6’3, 300 (Palm Beach Central)- Enormous DT with height and mass. Transferred from Dwyer. Flashes disruptive ability. Will need to improve mobility at college level. Not as good or athletic, but some similarities to Jordan Miller. Akron commit who might be a little underrated.

Janil Brown HL

Ta’Quan Kinsler- 6’1, 265 (Pahokee)- Athletic DT with pass rush ability. Can change directions quickly and has even played some fullback. Size and power would be the concerns but he can make plays.

Ta'Quan Kinsler HL

Were we ever really on Dorlus? I'd hate to face him on VTech

ingrham has freakish ability, top want after Evan neal, Stevenson, bogle . **** he might be on par with them. You don’t see dlineman with that frame who can move like that...

Ingraham like i said earlier is the second most important behind neal. We need trench play badly. On both sides

Advertisement
ingrham has freakish ability, top want after Evan neal, Stevenson, bogle . **** he might be on par with them. You don’t see dlineman with that frame who can move like that...
Scary part is he’ll be doing that at around 295-300

Advertisement

**** THIS DT LIST IS ******* PATHETIC THIS IS ALL THE TALENT AVAILABLE?

:larryd:

I really really really like this class.

No superstars...but I just think it has a TON of collegiate contributors with numerous takes for this program. Ingraham and Munoz are projected ins for the class. But, beyond that...unless we find some sort of take beyond those two and Holley, I think telling Daxon to go is a bit of a mistake. Yeah, he's a two down guy, but we lack guys that can straight up hold the door and he's it.

I don't know which side of the ball Renato Brown plays on, but I like versatile line guys. Dorlus just looks like a nice rotation iDL. Kancey looks like one of those West Virginia NT types thats just quick off the ball and garners attention. Ray reminds of me a Trevon Coley type...he went to FAU and played most of his career crazy undersized. Ballooned up for the NFL.

Advertisement
"Brandon Dorlus- 6’3, 270 (Deerfield Beach)- One of my favorite under-the-radar guys. Gets off the line quick with a nice swim move. Good athlete who played basketball at small-school Calvary before transferring to Deerfield Beach. Body has room to grow. Like the upside. Virginia Tech commit. "

Watched the film and his is an explosive attack style DE/DT. Has long arms and strong hands. Has the frame to be 290-295. Already good lower body back strength with an alleged 480 squat, 525 deal lift and 300 clean.

"Malcom Ray- 6’2, 245 (Carol City)- Slender, active DT who can get off blocks and make plays. Room to fill out. Very mobile with the ability to bend and tackle. Uses hands well and locates the football. Has impressed early as a senior on a loaded Carol City front. Plays mostly outside but projects inside in college. Committed to USF. "

Seen him play multiple times. DE at present and maybe in first 1-2 years of collegiate career. Not saying in passing situations he could not be very effective as an inside pass rusher. If he could get to the 285 mark his explosiveness would make him a very good collegiate attack style DT. High motor guy and has played against top competition. But his frame in not that huge and he needs to add the weight in the form of muscle over a couple of years to prevent any loss of mobility and explosion.
Personally--A guy that if a roster spot is open is worth a schollie.

Advertisement
I like our current DT commits & think Ingraham has star potential down the line, but imo I think we're making a mistake passing on Kancey, that kid has NFL caliber talent.

His size gets overstated as a knock, but PJ Hall just got drafted in the 2nd round to the Raiders out of Sam Houston St, he's only 6'1 310lbs. Genius Atkins is just 6'1 300lbs he's been a multiple time pro bowler, Grady Jarrett from Clemson is 6'0 305lbs he's the Falcons best DT, Michael Pierce for my Ravens is a great stout NT he's 6'0 339lbs, Sheldon Day from Notre Dame is 6'1 295lbs, years back during the Shannon era Ian Williams from the Orlando area went to Notre Dame was just 6'1 305lbs, Jurrell Casey from USC another pro bowler is 6'1 300+ & of course the best & highest paid interior lineman in the NFL is Aaron Donald from Pitt who's just 6'1 280-290lbs.

Kancey has natural speed & burst that you can't teach, plays with violent hands & is just an overall playmaker. Probably won't kill it in the under armor Olympics but he's a kid with development that will be an absolute disrupter on the interior line as a 3-tech.

Again, I like our haul as is & not saying who we got aren't enough, I'm just saying considering how much depth we'll need at DT in the future he's good enough to play at Miami.

Advertisement
Back