South Florida '18- The QBs

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Over the past decade, we’ve seen a revolution in terms of South Florida QBs. From Shoelace to Geno Smith to Teddy Bridgewater to Lamar Jackson and Winky Flowers, there has been a steady stream of superstar college QBs from this area.

After a strong group in 2017, South Florida is suffering from a dip in QB talent in 2018. But there are still plenty of gifted athletes and passers worth monitoring.

*= verified measurables

Jordan Travis- 6’1, 185, 4.68*(Benjamin)- Intriguing talent who exploded on the small school scene after transferring from Palm Beach Central. First team All-State. Threw for 21 TDs and 3 INTs in leading Benjamin High School—which was 1-9 the year before—to a 7-3 record. Brother of Toronto Blue Jays 2B and .300 hitter Devon Travis. Outstanding arm strength. Completes throws other HS QBs won’t attempt. Multi-sport athlete who is an elusive scrambler. Similar throwing motion to Colin Kaepernick.

[HUDL]video/3/4482238/5823e9ee11fa80508876f7b4[/HUDL]

Chatarius “Tutu” Atwell, Jr.- 5'9, 141 pounds, 4.5* (Miami Northwestern)- Lightning quick playmaker who led the Bulls to wins over Booker T, Central and Carol City. Had the highest overall vertical leap (39.3) and shuttle (4.01) at the Miami Opening. Performs best in big moments. Son of Tutu Atwell, Sr., who held numerous Minnesota Gopher receiving records that were later broken by Eric Decker. Limited passer and projects as a slot receiver at the next level. First-team All Dade selection.

[HUDL]video/3/4457238/58515aa7b018fc2df888526e[/HUDL]

George Bubrick- 6’1.5, 175 lbs, 5.16* (University) - The most productive passer in South Florida. Threw 31 TDs and tied a Broward record with 8 TDs in a single game. Good footwork and balance. Not a great runner but a smooth athlete. Makes up for average arm strength with anticipation and accuracy.

Junior Season - George Bubrick highlights - Hudl

Marlon Smith- 6’2, 175 pounds, 4.94* (Carol City)- Lanky, state champion passer who will remind some of Jacory Harris. Stands flat-footed in pocket and distributes feathery touch passes. Can drop the ball in a bucket. Threw for 1,758 yards, 16 TDs, 4 INTs.

Marlon Smith Junior Season Highlights - Marlon Smith highlights - Hudl

Legend Moore- 6’, 180 (Hallandale)- Stout athlete with some physical similarities to Winky Flowers. Very good quickness and toughness. Starred in dramatic win over Deerfield Beach. Striker on defense. I feel he has underrated potential as a Power Five safety.

Junior year�� - Legend Moore highlights - Hudl

Harrison Story- 6’1, 184, 4.9* (Western)- Dual threat who led Western on a surprising run to the playoffs, including a win over Miramar. Gets out of pocket and looks downfield. While he does not have a cannon, he is not afraid to take risks and attempt difficult throws.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6164842/58232cdf688ec34b14c791a0

Kyle Kaplan- 6'1, 200, 5.12* (Deerfield Beach)- Coral Springs standout who has since transferred to Deerfield Beach. Traditional drop-back passer with a stout frame and good arm strength. Like Nick Holm last year, Kaplan hopes to gain exposure by throwing to more talented wideouts.

Junior Year - Kyle Kaplan highlights - Hudl

Alex Mineo- 5'11.5, 160, 4.91* (Glades Day)- Small-school standout who is a lot of fun to watch. Grip-it-and-rip-it passer. Has strong hands to control the ball when improvising outside of the pocket. Backyard style of play.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5330350/5824fcf9688ec331ac9a9619

Last edited:
Advertisement
FAU has themselves a good one if Tutu sticks.

Immediate special teams guy but can really develop into a nice slot type very early. Just needs to add some token weight while maintaining that speed. You never know though...maybe he ends up at QB for them.

any of them actually going to receive a big three offer that is commitable?

Advertisement

Immediate special teams guy but can really develop into a nice slot type very early. Just needs to add some token weight while maintaining that speed. You never know though...maybe he ends up at QB for them.

Dude is 140lbs

Keep an eye on STA's Beau Fillichio. He's 6'4" 200 lbs with above-average athletic ability a very good arm and extremely accurate. I expect him to have a great season.

Dude is 140lbs

Get him in a college weight room, he'll grow a lil bit.

Tommy Shuler was like 5'6" 5'7" 160 170ish by the end of senior year (Ht/Wt inflated like crazy on the sites) and he turned out just fine and he grew.

Advertisement
Keep an eye on STA's Beau Fillichio. He's 6'4" 200 lbs with above-average athletic ability a very good arm and extremely accurate. I expect him to have a great season.

I'm looking forward to watching him this year. Didn't include him because he hasn't started yet, but he is generating a lot of buzz.

My dog dropping underrated prospects on here

I see you [MENTION=6030]Ibis Wingz[/MENTION]

Advertisement
[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION], Will you please give these lists a letter grade so it allows for comparison from year to year. It lets us know how deep a class is at certain position in sfl.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Among this list, Jordan Travis & Marlon Smith are the best pure passers in South Fla.

Travis is probably the only one who could be a legit take for Miami... He's still very underrated, but will blow up his Senior season, I've heard that Jumbo is actually pretty high on him.

But, obviously I'm rooting for Lil Tutu, I think MNW has enough Secondary help to have a solid enough defense to win State this year.
He should be really good at FAU.

Marlon Smith has crazy upside & potential, I could see him going to USF and being a baller. Kid is a great athlete & a pretty good Basketball player too, he had a huge impact on Carol City winning State last year. He's an impressive thrower.

Last edited:
@DMoney, Will you please give these lists a letter grade so it allows for comparison from year to year. It lets us know how deep a class is at certain position in sfl.

I'm no good at letter grades, but I'll include an intro with my opinion on the strength of the class. QB was definitely stronger last year.

Advertisement
Back