South Florida '17- The WRs

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
It's no surprise that South Florida is loaded to the brim with WRs. From the Canes' perspective, there is an abundance of big split ends who can complement guys like Sam Bruce and Ahmmon Richards. I would try to get at least three from this group, and wouldn't mind taking five.

Jerry Jeudy- 6'1, 175 pounds (Deerfield Beach)- Jeudy is one of the best athletes to come through South Florida in years. He is a sensational wide receiver, but he could be All-World as a cornerback. Very similar in style to his friend, Calvin Ridley. Miami has ground to make up here and will need to succeed on the field to catch up to the SEC.

[HUDL]athlete/2913673/highlights/177979380[/HUDL]

Trevon Grimes- 6'4, 190 pounds (St. Thomas Aquinas)- Size and speed. Grimes is a rich man's Tommy Streeter, and I mean that as a compliment. He is already huge and getting bigger. More of a track athlete than a basketball player, he will run by guys instead of jumping over them. I like his physicality- he is not shy about seeking contact after the catch. Star potential. Originally a Midwest kid who is projected to sign with Ohio State.

Mission Complete ! #16 - Trevon Grimes highlights - Hudl

Kevaughn Dingle- 6'2, 192 pounds (Carol City)- Dingle is ready to step into college and catch slants right now. Strong frame with a knack for big plays (29 ypc). Extremely solid prospect who should be a high priority for the Canes.

8Ball Junior Season - Kevaughn Dingle highlights - Hudl

Leroy Henley- 6'2, 190 pounds (Cardinal Gibbons)- Another guy with size and athletic ability. Henley can accelerate and is tough after the catch. His cousin, Terrance, is a sophomore CB at Miami and he has spoken of a potential package deal. Canes are a great fit here.

Junior Year Highlights - Leroy Henley highlights - Hudl

Rodney Scott- 6'1, 175 pounds (Southridge)- Big-handed receiver with body control who is capable of making acrobatic catches. Not fast but has some quicks. Similar skillset to Andre "Freakshow" Davis, who had a good career at USF.

Junior Highlights - Rodney Scott highlights - Hudl

Daewood Davis- 6'2, 175 pounds (Chaminade)- A Syracuse commit, Davis combines length and sprinter speed. He recently transferred to Chaminade and should put up big numbers on the outside with QB Henry Colombi. Davis tried to commit to Miami last year and could find his way back in the class. Longtime favorite of @Geo305.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP9pAIN4c5c

Joshua Ali- 6', 175 pounds (Chaminade via University)- Ali is another addition to the emerging offensive machine at Chaminade. He's not as fast as Davis, but has superior quickness and gets excellent separation on his routes.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4285345/highlights/289915381

Quantino Allen- 5'11, 202 pounds (Glades Central)- The latest in a long line of Muck speedsters. Allen is closer physically to Deonte Thompson than Travis Benjamin, as he packs a lot of strength onto his 5'11 frame.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4426842/highlights/327977404

Carmoni Green- 5'11, 180 pounds (Central)- Standard Dade County baller with quickness and instincts. Made a big splash in the state title game and is building buzz in the offseason.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6105486/highlights/283272423

Mike Harley- 5'10, 155 pounds (St. Thomas)- Harley is an extremely quick slot guy who is expected to replace Sam Bruce. He is another guy who is starting to generate hype.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3865227/highlights/304542386

Sharod Johnson- 6', 180 pounds (Jackson)- Underrated talent with some size and versatility. Made many big plays for Desmond Phillips last year.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3937638/highlights/280690421

Last edited:
Advertisement
Been excited about this one given the local group.

How about Lavarus Tigner? Deerfield

Kenmore Gamble? TE?

Kenmore Gamble? TE?

Gamble right now seems like a tweener... I'm not sure he can pack on enough upper body muscle to get to 250 or so.

Kenmore Gamble? TE?

Gamble is a flex all the way. Plays very physical.

Tigner a notch under these guys IMO.

Two sleepers for this group are Anthony White Jr. From American(Hialeah), and Jordan Merrell at STA who just transferred in from Dillard.

Dingle is the best pure WR of the group.

The best athlete of the group is Jeudy. Me and D$ both have discussed this as he mentioned. Jeudy upside at DB is tremendous.

Grimes I'm not that high on and D$ knows this through some of our prospect discussions. He's not bad but I've always viewed him a tad overrated.

Rodney Scott can go up and get it. He was injured most of his junior year so limited film. He makes it happen.

Daewood I've always been a fan of. Cannot teach his speed and size, has to refine some tools as a WR but has a nice ceiling.

Quantino Allen is a must have. Already been in contact with him and have sent him the coaches way just in case. He has JETS.

Carmoni Green runs a 22MPh on the treadmill. According to Pete Taylor(Sean Taylor's dad) that's about the 4.4 range. Would like Miami to keep an eye on him this spring and upcoming season.

Ali had a very productive year with Colombi at Uschool and followed him to Chaminade now. He might get passed up but I think Ali could blow up at a smaller D1 school. (Chaminade has weapons on offense with Colombi at QB, Shivers at RB and Xavier, Daewood and Ali at WR. That offense will be potent)

I like Henley but I have some guys I prefer before him.

I like Mike Harley. He improved his junior year. I do prefer other speed guys like Greene(IMG) and Quantino over him but I would like to keep tabs on him.

Advertisement
If Miami can walk out of 2017 with a group of 4-5 between

Quantino Allen
Daewood Davis
Kevaughn Dingle
Emmanuel Greene
Rodney Scott

The depth will be fixed at WR with quality. That would be the ideal group.

If one doesn't come from that group. Would like to dig into inquiring for Carmoni Green or Mike Harley to replace that spot.

(I really like Darrian Felix as an ATH type from Fort Myers. Could be a star at WR or CB at the next level. Throw him into the discussion if he ends up a WR)

As D$ mentioned. Jeudy will be hard to get. He's a heavy Bama lean. Alabama is selling him on taking over for Ridley once he leaves. Very close friends with Ridley and SBB since they were at Monarch.

As for Grimes. Really hope they do not waste the resources. He's a take for sure, yes, but he's NOT coming. He is OSUs to lose by tons of miles. He is originally from Indiana.

We have a way better shot of convincing Jeudy than Grimes and it's still not likely.

Last edited:
I hope CMR gives Urban and $EC coaches a run for their money with Grimes & Jeudy. By the way, there was a Padres middle-infield prospect a few years back with that same name, Jeudy, doubt there's a relation but it's an unusual last name...

Keep an eye on ATH Matt Landers. 6'5", from Admiral Farragut Academy (Rayshawn Jenkins HS) both FSU and UF have extended offers

Advertisement
Greene transferring back to S FL? Keep seeing rumors but nothing concrete

Nothing concrete yet if he will. I was told he was considering a while back to come to STA. At the South FL Express tryouts it was the word that he's coming back down to Broward. We'll see. STA already got Blades Jr. in the other week as I was told prior to it.

Want Jeudy and Dingle in this class bad.. Need to end the pipeline of Bama coming in and stealing 1 big time WR from SoFla every year or 2

Advertisement
Want Jeudy and Dingle in this class bad.. Need to end the pipeline of Bama coming in and stealing 1 big time WR from SoFla every year or 2
I think most expected Richards to go to Bama after he decommited so anything can happen. Juedy is the type of prospect that makes top programs elite.

I agree with Geo.

Quantino Allen
Daewood Davis
Kevaughn Dingle
Emmanuel Greene
Rodney Scott

Grimes has made it clear for years he's headed to OSU, plus the Bosa boys I'm sure have guaranteed him.
Similar with Jeudy. can't see flipping him from Bama and his homeboys Ridley & SBB.
If we can sewcure Greene, Dingle and Q. Allen then we'll be doing good. Scott and Davis would be a bonus.

Advertisement
Keep an eye on ATH Matt Landers. 6'5", from Admiral Farragut Academy (Rayshawn Jenkins HS) both FSU and UF have extended offers

He's a freak athlete, not the best route runner but I think he's a take. He is a legit 6'4/6'5, would love to see him run track to get a 100m time.

Jeudy, Grimes, and Dingle look like the best of this group. Greene would be in that mix as well, though he'd bring an entirely different skill set and may stay at IMG. Looking outside of South Florida while staying in state, I wouldn't have any of the others as higher priorities than Matt Landers from St. Petersburg.

Henley and Allen look impressive. The first catch in Scott's highlights was fantastic, but his complete lack of speed for someone listed at just 167 pounds in his 247 bio is a definite red flag.

Dingle and Henley are must gets, Jeudy has regressed since last time I watched his film, I like him at DB but he can dominate at WR as well. Henley is a must get because with this kid its not about stars but its about production, he is the safest pick imo out of any of these WRs. I watch his film and think wow, this kid will be amazing once he hits college. All the other WRs listed need to show more especially Grimes. Sites having Grimes and Calvin Ashley highly rated are questionable.

Advertisement
Back