South Florida '17- The Safeties

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
South Florida has produced most of the great safeties in Miami history, including Sean Taylor, Bennie Blades, Darryl Williams and Kenny Phillips. This year's class features multiple Miami-caliber safeties along with several other intriguing and versatile prospects.

Daniel Wright- 6’1, 180 pounds (Cardinal Gibbons)- The total package. Track star who excels in the 200 (22.24), 400 (48.6) and the long jump (22’). Dangerous with the ball in his hands and can make explosive plays in all three phases of the game. In addition to his playmaking ability, Wright is a headhunter over the middle and in run support. Star potential.

[HUDL]athlete/3068785/highlights/311618377[/HUDL]

Amari Carter- 6’2, 188 pounds (Palm Beach Gardens)- Natural born-thumper. Carter easily generates power without having to build up momentum. Similar game to Major Wright. Holds an offer from Notre Dame and should emerge as a national recruit. May grow into LB.

[HUDL]athlete/3434041/highlights/311625380[/HUDL]

Billy Gibson- 6’1, 175 pounds (Southridge)- Miami commitment who fits perfectly in Manny Diaz’s system. Excellent tackler who can close distance in a hurry. More of a box safety than a centerfielder.

Junior Highlights - Billy Gibson highlights - Hudl

Nadarius F'agan- 6’2, 200 pounds (Southridge)- Gibson’s teammate on a loaded Southridge defense. ***an plays LB in high school but is built more like a box safety. Best fit may be as hybrid LB/S in a 4-2-5 defense like TCU.

Junior Highlights - Nadarius ***an highlights - Hudl

DeWayne Terry- 6’1, 180 pounds (Dade Christian)- One of the biggest sleepers in Dade County. A coaching friend put me up on Terry, who is an unknown on recruiting services but just received his first offer from the Cal Bears. Excellent two-way athlete with an ideal frame and high character (4.0 GPA). Son of a former NFL player who became a successful personal injury lawyer. The hype is just beginning here.

#5tormsComing - Dewayne Keith Terry Jr. highlights - Hudl

I wanted to make a separate category for the CB/S tweeners. These guys are versatile athletes who can play either position depending on what they are asked to do.

Naytron Culpepper- 6’1, 175 pounds (Carol City via American)- Rangy, aggressive athlete with very good acceleration. Plays mostly corner in high school but has the toughness to play safety. At corner, he lacks ideal fluidity but makes up for it with length. Lots of upside.

Junior season highlights - Naytron Culpepper highlights - Hudl

Brian Edwards- 6’3 190 pounds (Miramar)- Edwards is the opposite of Culpepper: he plays mostly safety but may project as a corner. Rare fluidity and movement skills at his height. Not a physical tackler, which limits his upside at safety.

Tallljitts Back! - Brian Edwards highlights - Hudl

George Hunter- 6, 170 pounds (Atlantic)- One of my favorite prospects to watch. His tape reminds me of Brandon Meriweather as Apopka. Very aggressive and has the twitch to deliver brutal headshots. His size fits better at corner, and he has the feet and fluidity to play there. Comes from DB factory that produced Mike Rumph, among others.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4221488/highlights/297025387

Advertisement
I can't believe how excited I am to watch our current crop of 'Canes play this fall & how excited I am about this 2017 class. I'm not sure the future has ever been as bright.

Has Daniel Wright shown the slightest bit of interest in Miami? I just need a little bit of hope to grasp on to.

Ideal Safety Class:

Gibson
Carter
Wright or C. F'agan

and
N. F'agan as a LB/SS tweener

Advertisement
Of the 2017 Safeties, Daniel Wright is the most impressive. His skills at safety are multifaceted like (not saying he is) Patrick Johnson at corner. What's the word on where he's favoring? Any chance with him?

Ahmon Ross is actually a pretty good prospect, and he's also a commit.

He's physically comparable to these guys as well.

Any reason why we're not counting the kid in this class?

Advertisement
Ahmon Ross is actually a pretty good prospect, and he's also a commit.

He's physically comparable to these guys as well.

Any reason why we're not counting the kid in this class?

I think people in the know have mentioned that the staff has cooled on him.. They prob have other prospects higher on their board like

1. C. F'agan
2. Gibson
3. Wright
4. Carter
5. Delpit
6. Burgess

All before Ross

What's Daniel Wright's connection to FSU? He has 9 predictions to them on 247.

Our Db play could get better in a hurry.

No more cot**** Kacy Rodgers III and Mike Williams back there...

Advertisement

It's always the case the best players love Florida state.this is what twelve years of buns sauce does, have fsu in roads and made kids fans. Miami's administration should be ashamed of themselves they allowed it

Advertisement

They have been the premier program in the state the last 5 years is probably a good start. It sucks but it's the truth.

We got a lot of work to do because of them

Richt gotta change that and NOW.
I hope so, but it's gonna be a full two probably three classes before we are on their level. It doesn't mean we can't beat them before that, but they are just better. Thankfully our 2014 class was good enough to just pull that off next year.

They have been the premier program in the state the last 5 years is probably a good start. It sucks but it's the truth.

We got a lot of work to do because of them

Richt gotta change that and NOW.
I hope so, but it's gonna be a full two probably three classes before we are on their level. It doesn't mean we can't beat them before that, but they are just better. Thankfully our 2014 class was good enough to just pull that off next year.

They are not on another level, Houston was no where near their level talent wise and they pushed Fsu around and one. Miami has held a lead in the 4th qtr the last 2 years against so they are not that much ahead of Miami tbh.

Advertisement
Back