South Florida '17- the QBs

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
South Florida is finally producing QBs. For three of the past four years, a South Florida QB has led the nation in passing touchdowns. Teddy Bridgewater, Geno Smith, Rakeem Cato and Brandon Doughty all put up huge numbers, and they've handed the baton to Lamar Jackson and Winky Flowers.

This rise can be attributed to three things: (1) the proliferation of spread offenses; (2) year-round 7on7s; and (3) the competition level. These QBs are used to playing with D1-caliber WRs and DBs, and this helps them adjust quickly to the speed of the college game.

This year, there are a couple quarterbacks in South Florida that are Power 5 quality.

James Blackman (Glades Central) 6'4, 170

Joe Flacco in Jacory Harris's body. Blackman is an extraordinarily gifted passer from one of the most talent-rich towns in the world. He shined at the Miami 7on7 event and followed it up a with strong junior season. Louisville has already offered, but Blackman is a Canes fan. Now that N'Kosi Perry has decommitted, I hope we give him a call.

[HUDL]athlete/4801383/highlights/328358578/[/HUDL]

Shabazz Telfort (Boyd Anderson) 6'4, 215, 4.6

It's all about upside with Telfort. He's tall, strong and athletic with a powerful arm and big hands. He is also an efficient quarterback who threw 28 TDs and only 1 INT. Telfort looks to pass first and plays with patience. I could see him developing into a top QB with the right coach.

[HUDL]athlete/6099892/highlights/282564376/[/HUDL]

Jake Allen (STA) 6'3, 195

A Florida commit, Allen is your typical Aquinas quarterback: solid in all areas, not spectacular anywhere. He'll stand in the pocket and deliver the football, but I wonder how effective he'll be against SEC athletes.

*Still Playing* - Jake Allen highlights - Hudl

Henry Colombi (Chaminade) 6'3, 180, 4.59

Very quick player who put up huge passing numbers as a junior. Colombi won the Super 7 challenge (the local version of the Elite 11) and has reportedly grown almost 3 inches from his junior season. He is also an excellent student in the classroom. I like him better than Allen.

Junior Highlights 2015 - Henry Colombi highlights - Hudl

Nick Holm (Calvary Christian) 6'4, 180, 4.8

This might be the sleeper of the group. Holm goes to an independent school (outside the FHSAA), so he doesn't get much recognition. But he's a big, mobile kid with good footwork who can make every throw. During his sophomore year, the team went undefeated and Holm put up big numbers. They lost 14 starters, though, which is why half of Holm's Junior highlights are dropped passes. Doesn't matter. Holm has all of the tools.

Nick Holm - Hudl

Last edited:
Advertisement
big fan of Telfort. if we are staying in state for a QB...I hope its him.

Having said that,

Bring me Davis Mills on a silver platter. Andrew Luck 2.0

D$... How does Perry compare to these dudes and is there any chance he recomitts or has that ship sailed?

Good stuff, DMoney. I'm really intrigued by the Blackmon kid. He's out there throwing darts! I know it's a highlight tape, sooooo.... But I like him, and he'll need a redshirt year to gain sum weight.

Advertisement
Passing-wise, I actually like Blackman better than Perry. Kid looks super poised under pressure and appears to throw very well on the run. Can't really tell from his highlights, but it doesn't appear that he's an especially dynamic threat running the ball (although he's definitely not slow). Really like this kid.

First time seeing that Holm kid and I am impressed. Nice arm and touch. Appears technically sound with his footwork and ball handling. Like Telfort, a bit of a long wind up, but he appears to put the ball in the right place and with authority. Looks like he runs hard and has pretty decent speed when he scrambles.

Advertisement
Agree with this write up. I'm not an Allen fan. Reminds me of Jake Ruddock, ok at everything not really good or great at anything. You can't win titles with that unless you're stacked at every single position.

Advertisement
James Blackman as the developmental type to pair with the National, 4/5 star type that Richt has delivered repeatedly.

Advertisement
Holm transferred to Deerfield Beach.

Thank you, sir. That's very interesting. Looking forward to see how he adapts to that level of competition.

Yes I go to Calvary seen him play a few times always wondered how he'd look against top talent.... He plays very tough likes to pull it down and run and he does have a rocket arm...dont like his release that much...Definitely will check him out against St. Thomas next year

Advertisement
Back