South Florida '17- The CBs

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Along with receiver, cornerback is traditionally the most loaded position in South Florida. Local corners are known for their mental toughness and instincts, which come from competing against future D1 athletes year-round since the age of 6. This year's crop is one of the best in a long-time, with at least a half dozen national recruits and many more under-the-radar gems.

Stanford Samuels III
- 6’2, 171 pounds (Flanagan)- The best prospect on one of the best defenses in recent memory. Samuels makes the game look easy on offense and defense. Smooth with good instincts and excellent feet. Good length at 6’2. FSU legacy.

[HUDL]athlete/3235484/highlights/294935433[/HUDL]

CJ Henderson- 6’, 175 pounds (Columbus)- The fastest player I’ve seen live since Dalvin Cook. Combines rare speed with good height. Played RB almost exclusively due to Columbus’s depth at corner, but projects on defense. Chose Miami over offers from Alabama, Georgia and USC.

[HUDL]athlete/2704635/highlights/301853375[/HUDL]

Latavious Brini- 6’2, 184 pounds (Mater Academy)- Massive corner who wins with length. Similar body type to current Canes CB coach Mike Rumph. Solid quickness for his size- his laser-timed 4.33 shuttle matches Richard Sherman’s time at the combine. Holds offers from Florida State, Florida, LSU and Miami.

Junior Season Highlights - Latavious Brini highlights - Hudl

Shawn Davis- 6’0, 190 pounds (Southridge)- Strong, big-bodied corner with excellent physical tools. Good feet and shows the ability to high-point the ball. Holds early offers from LSU, Alabama, Miami and Florida. Standout for Florida Fire 7on7 team, which features Miami commits CJ Henderson, Billy Gibson and Gilbert Frierson.

Highlights - Shawn Davis highlights - Hudl

Marco Wilson- 5’10, 175 pounds (American Heritage)- Smooth coverman who comes from a football family. Father is Miami alum Chad Wilson and brother is UF starting corner Quincy Wilson. Smaller but more athletic than his brother. Coming off a torn ACL as a junior.

Sophomore Highlight - Marco Wilson highlights - Hudl

Trajan Bandy- 5'9, 175 pounds (Columbus)- Highly competitive nickel corner. Very good toughness, quickness and ball skills. Pretty good long speed—he hawked down several runners including Jawon Hamilton. May lack the length to play outside but still a high-quality player. Committed to Oklahoma.

THE DAMAGE IS DONE - Trajan Bandy highlights - Hudl

Jarques McClellion- 6’1, 180 pounds (American Heritage-Delray)- One of the more underrated players in South Florida. McClellion has ideal size and projects as a strong, physical presence at the boundary. Very good athlete who plays both ways. Excellent ball skills. Michigan State leads and he is a perfect fit in their system.

Category 5 - Jarques McClellion highlights - Hudl

Antwan Collier- 6’2, 185 pounds (Southridge via Killian)- Another ascending player who will hold over a dozen offers by the end of spring. Collier is a long, leggy athlete who played all over the field for Killian, including QB. He has since transferred to Southridge and will pair with Shawn Davis to form an imposing corner duo. Explosive athlete who can accelerate very well for his height.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4107850/highlights/325185531

Traivon Leonard- 5’11, 175 pounds (Oxbridge Academy)- Gifted corner who is very well-regarded by opposing coaches. Elite change-of-direction skills and quickness. Currently committed to FAU but is a Power 5 talent all the way. Sleeper potential.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3346872/highlights/308780393

Randall Haynie- 5’11, 175 pounds (Cardinal Gibbons)- Pure cover corner with a polished game. Haynie has very good feet and fluid hips. Good instincts for locating the ball. Not as explosive or physical on some of the other corners on this list, but very advanced from a coverage standpoint. Wisconsin leads.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3891959/highlights/289305377

Advertisement
Couple of other sleepers to add to this group at CB are

Joshua Dinson - American (Brother of Jeremiah Dinson, auburn CB)
Cedrick Dort - Dwyer
Faion Hicks - Flanagan
Allen Jones III - Miami Central
Michael Nesbitt - Boyd Anderson (Holds FSU offer)
Christopher Williams - Miami Central

Also a feisty little nickel out of Southridge by the name of Coemba Jones. Southridge secondary will be loaded this season.

[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] knows where I stand in regards to the corners.

I've had Shawn Davis very high on my list since last spring. I believe he's the best corner in the tri-county area.

Stanford Samuels has done a 180 in regards to my opinion on him. He definitely made a jump between sophomore and junior year. He would be 2nd best at CB in tri-county for me. A year ago he would have been lower on this list for me.

Brini at 3rd.

Henderson 4th. (Mainly due to not playing the position as much as the others but has incredible ceiling)

5th would be Bandy (Bandy is the best nickel on the list though. That's for sure. You need nickels in college football now.)

Marco gets a bump to 6th for me but can jump up back with a rebound year. Love his speed and athleticism. The injury is not the issue, it's the fact he was a situational player as a sophomore when he did play. (NOTE: I have Waynmon Steed as the 2nd best LB prospect in the tri-county. He was a full-time starter as a sophomore. That's why I'm more harsh on Marco)

My guy to watch out for and [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] is high on him too. Is George Hunter out of Atlantic HS(Same school Rumph attended). Hunter plays safety but me and [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] prefer him at corner. Really hope Miami takes a look at him.

Advertisement
Ideal CB Class:

Davis
Henderson
Brini
Bandy or Wilson

long shot at Samuels (take him if he wants in)

I kinda just want to completely clean house at CB. Before 2017 season starts, get rid of Mayes, Jackson, and Henley. With Elder graduating, the only returning CBs for 2017 would be M Young, Redwine, and at least FOUR of the 2017 kids you've listed above.

I kinda just want to completely clean house at CB. Before 2017 season starts, get rid of Mayes, Jackson, and Henley. With Elder graduating, the only returning CBs for 2017 would be M Young, Redwine, and at least FOUR of the 2017 kids you've listed above.
Don't rush to conclusions on Jackson, he has enough skill to be productive

There is some serious talent at CB this year. Thank god because we need to restock tat position.

Advertisement

Cedrick Dort - Dwyer
Faion Hicks - Flanagan

Also a feisty little nickel out of Southridge by the name of Coemba Jones. Southridge secondary will be loaded this season.
Cedrick Dort has only been playing football for a short time also as far as I wold told. Only a year or two I think.

Impressive list of corners. More impressive is that we have our share for the first time in five years and most important is that we have most of the better ones.

BLOWN AWAY by the depth at CB & S this year in SoFla...so many good prospects will leave the state simply b/c there's not enough schollies for them at UM, UF, & FSU...

Advertisement

Cedrick Dort - Dwyer
Faion Hicks - Flanagan

We should be done with "sleepers" for awhile. This program has been sleeping longer than Rip Van Winkle. Time to take advantage of all the momentum and get all the **** monsters.

any one passed up on the depth chart during the season by incoming cb recruits should be shown the door unless they have special teams ability.

Jackson is not on this list as he has already played specials as a freshman and logged a few snaps with the base unit.

Henley and Mayes are on the clock..more so Mayes and Henley took a shirt. We shall see..because this years class is loaded...and there are some guys like Marco Wilson who I would like to squeeze in on t.he backend of this group...depending on his early sr year film..camp performances.

Henderson, Roberts,Davis, Wilson, Brini looks real good. Some new faces will show in spring..and some of our early targets may commit elsewhere.

Advertisement
gimme brini, henderson, & davis

add 2 safeties & that kid who is a LB/S hybrid (***an maybe?)

then youre adding 2018 to that...

crazy part is that 2018 class is more loaded with plus size dbs. Banda, Rumph, Diaz may have hit the jackpot...guys are going to be fighting to be in he class.

we need about 4 cbs in this class...and we got 2 committed already.

crazy part is that 2018 class is more loaded with plus size dbs. Banda, Rumph, Diaz may have hit the jackpot...guys are going to be fighting to be in he class.

we need about 4 cbs in this class...and we got 2 committed already.

Speaking of plus-sized DBs, did you see the pics of Jobe and Frierson? Jesucristo, those 2 dudes are already gigantic, and they haven't even played their junior season. They looked like 20 year old men. All the growth hormone they pump into chicken and beef is turning kids into monsters.

Advertisement
Back