Soooo we good w/DJ Ivey starting against Bama?

Advertisement
Advertisement
More man? Yes. Nobody runs man every play but there’ll definitely be significant more.
I hope so. Díaz soft coverage zone can be frustrating to watch. When you have DB talent, go man. Make them earn everything!

As for Ivey, I’m not sold until he does it on the field. Bama would be a great start.

Soooooo you’re saying we will be changing our coverage scheme?
If we're going to play some of those same fronts and blitz packages, we ******* better match coverage accordingly. We've been weirdly disconnected between the front and back for a bit now. I get why it was done. It was a choice. I just don't agree with hedging your bets between fronts and coverages to the extent you create disconnection and outs for QBs.

You want to go balls to the wall? Go balls to the wall. Can't do NFL split coverage concepts as well because, well, we're not an NFL program nor have some of the talent/resources, obviously. Teach tackling better and get everyone focused. Instead, we let QBs go off because they read blitz and have our coverage units bailing the f out. Rant over. My bad.

Cribby we played Ivey press against teams multiple times last year especially North Carolina and Ivey got torched multiple times.. they were even picking on him..don’t have revisionist history man
We rarely pressed it was majority bail. That’s what we do. He rarely put his hands on wr’s

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we're going to play some of those same fronts and blitz packages, we ******* better match coverage accordingly. We've been weirdly disconnected between the front and back for a bit now. I get why it was done. It was a choice. I just don't agree with hedging your bets between fronts and coverages to the extent you create disconnection and outs for QBs.

You want to go balls to the wall? Go balls to the wall. Can't do NFL split coverage concepts as well because, well, we're not an NFL program nor have some of the talent/resources, obviously. Teach tackling better and get everyone focused. Instead, we let QBs go off because they read blitz and have our coverage units bailing the f out. Rant over. My bad.
More rants, please.

IMO, Ivey’s shortcoming has been mental processing speed. Not everyone, regardless of how intelligent, can process information at the same speed. I would argue that Ed Reed was as fast at processing information as anyone we’ve seen on a football field as an example.
I don’t think a person can dramatically improve processing speed, HOWEVER, if that same person has less to process then maybe that will be the reason for improvement.
Ivey will always look good in drills and controlled settings because that typically requires just 1-2 possibilities. If we can create that same situation in a game I think he can do well. But only time will tell

If you’re going to have him bail out it’s not going to end well. That means he’s lined up in press then turns and bails out. Hes strong , big , physical and has extremely long arms. If you don’t use that it’s useless to try anything else. Ivey has always been in position but turning his hand has been the problem. Well, most of our cb’s had that issue , I expect that to be better as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you’re going to have him bail out it’s not going to end well. That means he’s lined up in press then turns and bails out. Hes strong , big , physical and has extremely long arms. If you don’t use that it’s useless to try. Ivey has always been in position but turning his hand has been the problem. Well, most of our cb’s had that issue , I expect that to be better as well.
Any chance our Corners will actually look up to find the ball? That would be nice.

Advertisement
If you’re going to have him bail out it’s not going to end well. That means he’s lined up in press then turns and bails out. Hes strong , big , physical and has extremely long arms. If you don’t use that it’s useless to try. Ivey has always been in position but turning his hand has been the problem. Well, most of our cb’s had that issue , I expect that to be better as well.
Gotta agree with you there. He never gets his head turned around to find the ball. If he can improve just that one aspect of his game we might see a much better Ivey.

Advertisement
Back