Something to keep in mind when you see Miami departures

In other words we will have some painful departures
Put it this way... One departure may be higher rated but the staff isn't high on the evaluation and the projection. Might look bad on the surface but it's a drop that wasn't up to the kid. I agree with it and I've been skeptical the entire process on him.

Most of the departures are drops. One they would take but seems like he's leaning elsewhere and they're not fighting for it.

Same can apply to some of the players on the roster.

Advertisement
The staff expects to sign a big class, both from high school and the Portal. So a lot of these departures are not necessarily the choice of the players or recruits.

Judge the total picture when the dust settles.
I think when it’s all said and done, we’ll be highly competitive with what we’ll add. With the right QB, we’ll be a playoff team.

Put it this way... One departure may be higher rated but the staff isn't high on the evaluation and the projection. Might look bad on the surface but it's a drop that wasn't up to the kid. I agree with it and I've been skeptical the entire process on him.

Most of the departures are drops. One they would take but seems like he's leaning elsewhere and they're not fighting for it.

Same can apply to some of the players on the roster.
sounds like you are talking about commits, not current rostered players

Advertisement
Still getting nervous. We've been told before that we would make waves in the portal only to be underwhelmed. Don't want to be left without a QB. Our approach is erratic at times.
Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

Not fretting over the list of those entering the portal to date. Skinner & Co apparently leaving due to playing time.
The worry is with key contributors - won’t speculate on names - who may feel under compensated & seek larger bags elsewhere.

Advertisement
Bain
Mesidor
Porter
Arroyo
Williams
Lee
Rivers
Cooper
Samson
Both Mauigoas
Bissainthe
Fletcher
Colbie
George
Restrepo
The entire 2023 class
Borregales

I didn’t even think and that’s like 35 kids. We need a lot of help.

Those all world be losses.

But the truly catastrophic ones would be:

Bain
Younger Mauigoa
Younger Brown
Fletcher

Bain
Mesidor
Porter
Arroyo
Williams
Lee
Rivers
Cooper
Samson
Both Mauigoas
Bissainthe
Fletcher
Colbie
George
Restrepo
The entire 2023 class
Borregales

I didn’t even think and that’s like 35 kids. We need a lot of help.
I don't think any key pieces of the 2023 class are going anywhere yet. Aside from Lee, Rivers, Kiko declaring, they're not going anywhere.

Of the rest of the list.. I see maybe 3 that might leave on their own. I could see Arroyo out, I could see Bissainthe out if he gets recruited over or they portal someone over him. I could see Samson out if they ***** around and don't take his brother. If we don't take his brother, someone is going to use that as an opportunity to back channel Samson and he's going to see some BS NIL contract and he could jump with him. I don't think that will be the case but I see where their head is at with HS recruiting and it could impact the way they view Samuel..

That door will open to 4-6 if we don't hit on a QB and the obvious candidates will be the WRs

Advertisement
I know the board is 50-50 on him but I dont want to lose Brashard Smith. If he has a shot to go to an Oregon or Washington or USC type offense then I wouldnt blame him I guess but definitely want to keep him in the fold. He is the only person I can think of off the top of my head.

are people not understanding dmoneys message?

he's saying people will leave the team / recruiting class because they are forced out by staff

that wouldn't pertain to impact / important players

why is this concerning or upsetting anyone
That's how I understood it as well. We'll lose some guys (forced or just moving on) due to the roots we are bringing in via signing and portal.

Advertisement
I don't think any key pieces of the 2023 class are going anywhere yet. Aside from Lee, Rivers, Kiko declaring, they're not going anywhere.

Of the rest of the list.. I see maybe 3 that might leave on their own. I could see Arroyo out, I could see Bissainthe out if he gets recruited over or they portal someone over him. I could see Samson out if they ***** around and don't take his brother. If we don't take his brother, someone is going to use that as an opportunity to back channel Samson and he's going to see some BS NIL contract and he could jump with him. I don't think that will be the case but I see where their head is at with HS recruiting and it could impact the way they view Samuel..

That door will open to 4-6 if we don't hit on a QB and the obvious candidates will be the WRs
Your Samson comment echoes something I heard regarding him being somewhat unhappy about Bell being picked up for LT…he felt slighted I guess?

His brother should be a solid addition, so I see no reason why it’s not smoothed over.

As for this giant class size…I’m not exactly sure how many kids will be taken, but we’ve heard the portal class will be focused on quality, not quantity. Wonder if we start looking for some depth guys as well.

As for HS, only twice since 2012 has a class exceeded 31 kids: A&M in Sumlin’s 2nd season, and Tennessee in Butch Jones’s first class. I think both were at 32 kids, but it was late at night when I was looking so I might be slightly off. It’s around there though - there’s been a handful of classes with 30, a few with 29…but mostly that 27-29 range is max. I’m curious where we end up considering the recruits allegedly interested, and the comments regarding drops.

I trust it all to be worked out and for us to be in a far better position, after all that’s a realistic expectation for Year 3. But I hope it’s not going to be a rebuild of sorts, just a giant re-tooling.

Don't know why people continue to think that every portal guy needs to be an All-American. You just need to hit on certain guys at certain spots. Bama and UGA took 5 and 3 portal guys respectfully and only a couple contributed. Last 2 portal offseason's we have had so many "misses" that ended up being JAGs where ever they went. Tre Fegans, Jaylon Robinson, Zak Franklin, Greg Bryant, Keyvie Rose, Jaheim Singletary...noncontributory seasons

Hit on QB and hit on positions at need like we did with Lee, Cohen, and Kiko

Advertisement
Back