Someone with Football knowledge

Ironically this is the same blitz that has worked for us quite a few times. It's an overload Blitz. Something we've routinely done the last 4 weeks on passing downs. However, football is chess, and UNC coaching staff knew we would do it and probably checked to a weak-side run.

As a coordinator myself, when I do "gimmicky" things like this I only use them for maybe two opponents and then I scrap it. I won't call that particular blitz for at least another two weeks. You have to come up with something new on a week-to-week basis otherwise good coaching staffs will figure out exactly what you like to do in certain occasions and then exploit it.

Advertisement
Correct. It was the worst combo of being out schemed while simultaneously giving the worst effort ever
They showed up with no effort from the start. Yea man I normally defend the staff but man. They ran 4 plays all effin game. We’re we that scared of the RPO passing game that we just wanted to get our **** pushed in like that? **** pride has to enter somewhere. Well out and blitz ducking everyone. Can’t get any worse than 55 carries for 550+ yards

we never had a chance. I’ve never heard of 550

Mack knows Manny is a fraud and how to attack him
Unfortunately for us Mack having had to suffer with Diaz before knows his mindset,weaknesses,tendencies,etc and not ony does he not respect him it's obvious he also doesn't like him at all as he was unwilling to take his foot of the pedal today.There was no taking a knee late in the game.

Ironically this is the same blitz that has worked for us quite a few times. It's an overload Blitz. Something we've routinely done the last 4 weeks on passing downs. However, football is chess, and UNC coaching staff knew we would do it and probably checked to a weak-side run.

As a coordinator myself, when I do "gimmicky" things like this I only use them for maybe two opponents and then I scrap it. I won't call that particular blitz for at least another two weeks. You have to come up with something new on a week-to-week basis otherwise good coaching staffs will figure out exactly what you like to do in certain occasions and then exploit it.
The difference in this game imo was that down and distance didn’t matter with regards to running/passing. They were running over us the entire game on third down. That screenshot was another long 3rd down run.

I was talking **** on the gameday thread when I saw that play.

I can’t even think about criticizing a player with that kind of **** going on.

This is an egregious example, but we were constantly out leveraged before the snap. All UNC had to do was press the hole and cut back. Since we don’t protect gaps, no one would ever be there.

Advertisement
UNC watched our defensive film. They figured out that we had half way aggressive ends and bad linebackers. They schemed well early and it worked well in regards to the running game. They kept it up, we either didn't or couldn't adjust. We were out coached. Period. Also our linebackers our not any good. They are terrible actually. Our corners are awful also. Especially Ivey. They picked on him.
Mack watched byu vs texas when manny got fired and replicated what they did

They showed up with no effort from the start. Yea man I normally defend the staff but man. They ran 4 plays all effin game. We’re we that scared of the RPO passing game that we just wanted to get our **** pushed in like that? **** pride has to enter somewhere. Well out and blitz ducking everyone. Can’t get any worse than 55 carries for 550+ yards

we never had a chance. I’ve never heard of 550

This. I don’t know how you don’t sell out against the run at some point and force them to try something different

That’s not what happened. BYUs qb has sprinter speed and manny couldn’t stop the read option.

Manny figured a brand new way to give up 500 plus rushing yards this game.
He gave 550 yds rushing to byu and 554 to unc. He should never be behind a wheel again

Advertisement
This. I don’t know how you don’t sell out against the run at some point and force them to try something different
Anythign right.....FCUKING ANYTHING.

Everytime we put pressure in Howell's face he torpedo'd the ball into the ground. He isn't a good QB when he gets those happy feet, but **** hes a baller when he only has to throw a few deep passes cause you're averaging 10 yards a carry for 50 FCUKING carries

Explain to me what led to this performance on the defensive side??

Please no...

Baker is a ******.... McCloud and Jennings suck bro... or canes duh bro

Was it all about the play calls putting the players in wrong spots?

Was it our Dline l not being able to shed blocks to get the run?
THe defense is overrated just like dIAZ.....always has been....always will be

The difference in this game imo was that down and distance didn’t matter with regards to running/passing. They were running over us the entire game on third down. That screenshot was another long 3rd down run.
Well they ran the ball on 3rd and long because they knew they would get this look from us. That's us being predictable as usual.

Advertisement

They routinely run out of bullets. And, just pick up the bullet casings from the floor, fill it with some powder, and try to shoot it again. It's why we saw DB boundary blitzes for about 10 games in a row. But, that's a small fraction of what we witnessed last night. They countered us to absolute death, as you saw.

On a separate medium (a canes phone chat), I'm trying to make the point it's not one thing, but if you want to simplify it to one thing, it's the playcalling/scheme. I don't think I've ever seen so many counters run against a team that is either automatically outleveraged or loses leverage within 1 second of the snap. I made a point in there that we could have had Fred Warner and Darius Leonard with Buddha Baker behind them last night...and UNC may have still gotten 250 yards rushing.

Last night wasn't just because our LBs struggle to guess gaps. Last night wasn't just because we don't have a football savant playing Safety who can play controlled football AND clean up the tackle. Last night wasn't only because we couldn't set the edge. It's because all those things are excacerbated in this wildass system. When the system becomes predictable or matched with an opponent's talent or gameplanning, it's like watching 8 defenders play against 11.

When you average 10 yards a carry there’s really no need to risk a sack, incompletion, or interception.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back