Someone tell me Homer, DJD13 and Lo-Ling are the second coming of

Advertisement
Edge, Gore, Portis, McGahee, heck I'll even put Najeh Davenport in the conversation even though he clearly was not anywhere near the level of pure tailback that those guys were. I include Davenport just because he was such a personal, fan, and player favorite, and because he was willing to play anywhere he needed, all he cared about was helping the team WIN, and what he did had a huge impact in that regard.

Anyway, I can't rank those guys against each other, that would be like if I were asked to choose between my nuts which one I like better. I'll put Stephen McGuire, Melvin Bratton and Alonzo Highsmith in there as well.

Those guys were the heroes of my youth, so I'm not impartial in the least when it comes to them. Empirically, though, they were all badasses who made big time plays to win big time games. Anyone saying Duke was a better RB at Miami than Portis was too young to remember the moment in the OB (don't remember the year or opponent, but I remember vividly the quiet, and then the ROAR and the stands underneath me shaking when he lit the edge) when we needed a TD badly and on third down he took the pitch to the right from about 30 yards out, jogged up behind the OLine and saw there was nothing but a wall of defenders, spun back around, sprinted around the left side and went untouched into the endzone. Portis is a Canes LEGEND, Duke was a real nice player, a special one, but not the same level. Not even close.

Duke was farrrr more productive and explosive at UM than Portis. Again, it’s not even a debate. Duke averaged like 1.5 more yards per carry, had way more yards, regularly broke longer runs, etc. and I remember Portis so maybe you can actually back up your post with stats instead of irrelevant statements.

Portis’ longest run in 2001 was like 30 yards.

Duke was farrrr more productive and explosive at UM than Portis. Again, it’s not even a debate. Duke averaged like 1.5 more yards per carry, had way more yards, regularly broke longer runs, etc. and I remember Portis so maybe you can actually back up your post with stats instead of irrelevant statements.

Portis’ longest run in 2001 was like 30 yards.

We're talking about guys who played 13 years apart and essentially in different offensive eras. Comparing stats alone wouldn't begin to tell you who had the better college career. Portis played in relevant games, racked up 100 yards at the beginnings of games and got out of the game once it was a blowout, or he ground out the tough yards to salt away games that were close. He didn't compile stats by being the only viable back on his team. Duke also either couldn't get anything going or fumbled the ball and the game away at the most critical times of the most critical games of his career. I hate having to make a case against Duke as he was a spectacular player, a lot of fun to watch, and seemed/seems to have a genuine joy for the game. Portis was a championship caliber college running back and an All-Pro NFL back. Duke was a dynamic playmaker and a fun chess piece to move around the field and watch make plays. They are apples and oranges. One accomplished something big at Miami, the other was a fun guy to watch and root for.

Duke was not "better than Portis" while at UM. That would be like saying that Jacory Harris was better than Ken Dorsey while at UM. Sure, I bet a statistical case could be made for that argument. I wouldn't even be surprised if Jacory's long pass while at UM was longer than Kenny's longest throw in 2001, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. No matter the stats you might want to use to back up your post, Jacory Harris was not "better than Ken Dorsey" while at UM.

Let's just agree to disagree, while agreeing that we were lucky to watch both Duke and Portis do their thing in the Orange and Green.
:duke-stiff:

We're talking about guys who played 13 years apart and essentially in different offensive eras. Comparing stats alone wouldn't begin to tell you who had the better college career. Portis played in relevant games, racked up 100 yards at the beginnings of games and got out of the game once it was a blowout, or he ground out the tough yards to salt away games that were close. He didn't compile stats by being the only viable back on his team. Duke also either couldn't get anything going or fumbled the ball and the game away at the most critical times of the most critical games of his career. I hate having to make a case against Duke as he was a spectacular player, a lot of fun to watch, and seemed/seems to have a genuine joy for the game. Portis was a championship caliber college running back and an All-Pro NFL back. Duke was a dynamic playmaker and a fun chess piece to move around the field and watch make plays. They are apples and oranges. One accomplished something big at Miami, the other was a fun guy to watch and root for.

Duke was not "better than Portis" while at UM. That would be like saying that Jacory Harris was better than Ken Dorsey while at UM. Sure, I bet a statistical case could be made for that argument. I wouldn't even be surprised if Jacory's long pass while at UM was longer than Kenny's longest throw in 2001, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. No matter the stats you might want to use to back up your post, Jacory Harris was not "better than Ken Dorsey" while at UM.

Let's just agree to disagree, while agreeing that we were lucky to watch both Duke and Portis do their thing in the Orange and Green.
:duke-stiff:

Duke Johnson “compiled” stats while averaging 6.7 yards per carry. Interesting.
Duke Johnson is the all time leading rusher at UM. I’d say he accomplished something. Not his fault he played for garbage teams.

Dorsey put up wayy more yards and TDs and less INTs than harris as a starter so i don’t see your point.

Duke Johnson “compiled” stats while averaging 6.7 yards per carry. Interesting.
Duke Johnson is the all time leading rusher at UM. I’d say he accomplished something. Not his fault he played for garbage teams.

Dorsey put up wayy more yards and TDs and less INTs than harris as a starter so i don’t see your point.

OK, swap Jacory and Kaaya, Mr. Stats guru. Stats don't tell the whole story. That's the point. But then again, you'll probably say that Kaaya had a better UM career than Dorsey did. If your whole argument is that Duke had a better YPC than Portis and the only measure of a player is the numbers on the stat sheet, cool. You're wrong. But that's just like my opinion.

These kinds of sports arguments bore me and I normally just ignore them. Just like Mike and Mike. I'm sorry I said anything, but I personally think it's ridiculous to say that a player who averaged 4 losses per year and never beat our biggest rival had a better career than a guy who won a championship and lost, what, 2 games in his college career? But I guess we just shouldn't "blame the players" for the success of their team.

Cheers brother, I respect your opinion, I just disagree with it. Go Canes.

Advertisement
OK, swap Jacory and Kaaya, Mr. Stats guru. Stats don't tell the whole story. That's the point. But then again, you'll probably say that Kaaya had a better UM career than Dorsey did. If your whole argument is that Duke had a better YPC than Portis and the only measure of a player is the numbers on the stat sheet, cool. You're wrong. But that's just like my opinion.

These kinds of sports arguments bore me and I normally just ignore them. Just like Mike and Mike. I'm sorry I said anything, but I personally think it's ridiculous to say that a player who averaged 4 losses per year and never beat our biggest rival had a better career than a guy who won a championship and lost, what, 2 games in his college career? But I guess we just shouldn't "blame the players" for the success of their team.

Cheers brother, I respect your opinion, I just disagree with it. Go Canes.

Are you serious criticizing duke johnson for “losing games?” Lmao. My god. Yeah I’m sure golden would have been just fine as long as he had clinton portis.

But, fair enough. Go canes.

2 of the best RBs in Miami history played for losing teams.
Chuck Foreman & Otis Anderson.
Far as stats go,,SO.
I look at grit, Duke was sorely lacking in that catagory..

Advertisement
Back