Someone Educate Me

Sure, 15+ years to graduate a neurosurgeon with 200k+ in debt vs putting that time into a solid (city, state, or federal) job w/ 401k and pension may be an argument, but It depends on what you want to do with your life...?

It looks really bad for the kids who don't get into med or law school and end up with some middling degree (biology, psychology or criminal justice), or those who achieve their goals just to live with debt for the rest of their lives, but that's simply playing the result.

I think the better argument is should counselors, mentors, and parents advocate for the 20 years and retire at 40 plan? I know I do. I tell kids all the time about my friend who's been working the post office since 18, but they can't see 20yrs ahead. I gave my spiel to this 20 y.o. the other day and she says, "yea, but thats not for everybody." God bless her because she was more right than she knew.
It's the curse and gift of youth because some people defy the odds by daring to think big.

You're not entirely wrong @kgranger17, but you're not entirely right either.

That's a really good perspective. I never really thought about it that way. I'm more of the "40 then retire" type, so I'm sure I'm pretty bias in a way I don't know.

Advertisement
Literally hundreds of thousands of examples you are wrong.

Morons like you like to take examples of people that were stupid enough to major in some type of humanities while partying their way through college, while incurring mountains of debt, and who now can’t find high paying employment.

Those are generally people that lack motivation and are going to be marginal all their lives anyway. Degree or no degree.

I can’t tell you how many examples I know of personally of people who have jobs they otherwise wouldn’t get, because a degree opens the door for them.

Entry level positions in many fields require a college degree as a prerequisite, and I’m just talking in the business/sales/marketing world. Not even looking at professional or semi-professional opportunities.

You’re a know-it-all that doesn’t know shlt.
I could not agree more with you here. WTF is he even thinking.? I'm in education, an administrator at that. I can also attest to the critical importance that education holds. Be it degrees, industrial certification,....... Does not matter. So few individuals will ever end up with a **** pro sports career making enough to live life. On top of the fact our society and economy have evolved to make higher education and specialized careers the norm. Education is not just priceless anymore. It is a must have to survive.

The NCAA has 57 people on its enforcement staff.

129 D1 football schools
10,500+ D1 football athletes
Countless recruits

460,000 NCAA athletes across 24 sports and 50 states at any given time.

They don't stand a chance at enforcing anything. It's by design.

You completely disregarded what I said. As currently constructed, they are not even trying to enforce the rules. That doesn’t mean they don’t have the respurces ($) to be able to do so, they absolutely do. It’s a matter of priorities, not ability.

do you advocate uniform pay for all student athletes or a sliding scale based on talent and revenue?

This is the key question and the reason it'll never happen? Is it fair for the backup long-snapper at New Mexico state to make as much as a starting quarterback for Alabama? If you let schools and conferences decide how much they want to pay then the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots gets even wider.

I could not agree more with you here. WTF is he even thinking.? I'm in education, an administrator at that. I can also attest to the critical importance that education holds. Be it degrees, industrial certification,....... Does not matter. So few individuals will ever end up with a **** pro sports career making enough to live life. On top of the fact our society and economy have evolved to make higher education and specialized careers the norm. Education is not just priceless anymore. It is a must have to survive.

I'm in the same career field as you. I think the key point of your post is mentioning industry certifications and things along those lines. A four-year degree is certainly not a must to survive, but some sort of post-high school education or training is definitely needed with few exceptions.

Advertisement
At some point, hopefully for your sake, you will learn that you don't know what you don't know.

In my early 30's I was blessed with a "grey hair" mentor. But unlike you, I hung on his every word and learned things about business and life that proved to be invaluable to me, and indirectly, my family.

I've had kids like you work for my company who truly believed they knew significantly more about life/business than those who have the battle scars that come with years and years of life experiences. Those kids were eventually fired and since then they've bounced around from job to job still not getting that their life experiences are limited in scope and they don't have all of the answers. This is not to say that your ideas should not be heard and given serious consideration.

One of the kids I referenced above would come to me and confess that had he taken the advice I had given him he would have enjoyed a better outcome concerning a particular issue. He scored points with me due to his integrity, but that scenario repeated itself enough times where I was forced to terminate him. No matter how many times I gave him my "grey haired" advice, he simply new better. Sound familiar?

With 100% certainty, this is the path you are headed down. Should your response be that you are fantastically successful (highly doubtful) then I know that had you listened to and respected qualified "Grey hairs" you would be considerably more successful. Unfortunately, this post has a one in a million chance of opening your eyes...

Boy you really like to hear yourself talk.

Title IV makes it impossible to pay kids. Most athletic programs don’t even make a profit. Read a book

Advertisement
If there is a market for it, america will pay for it. Why should football revenue pay for other sports?

Because without football there'd be no other sports, and since having a football team and no other programs doesnt comply with title IV, it wouldnt happen.

Advertisement
Thank you for reminding a normal student how good the athletes have it, it’s a continually humbling experience. For those ignorant to the reality of athletes at UM, not only do they get a red carpet rolled out for them in everything they do acedemically .ie. Delayed exams, unlimited free tutoring, all the best and easiest teachers, assisted exams, YES assisted exams where they get to bring in a notecard of info to an exam for example, but the comparables in scholarship is a complete joke. You wana give AR or Shaq a full ride: go ahead that’s fair. But I had a 3.8 and a perfect ACT score coming from a top S florida private school and I still didn’t get what the back up kicker gets in scholarship. They get by far their fair share of special treatment. Crying about how you think they deserve a check because football takes SOOO much time while having to take Native American studies will get no sympathy from me or any other college student.

The time THE AVERAGE football player spends each week between training and academics is the same or less than what an engineering or premed major spends studying at a top 40 academic institution. At least if you gave them an advance on career earnings the ROI will be predictable and more reliable.

Thank you for reminding a normal student how good the athletes have it, it’s a continually humbling experience. For those ignorant to the reality of athletes at UM, not only do they get a red carpet rolled out for them in everything they do acedemically .ie. Delayed exams, unlimited free tutoring, all the best and easiest teachers, assisted exams, YES assisted exams where they get to bring in a notecard of info to an exam for example, but the comparables in scholarship is a complete joke. You wana give AR or Shaq a full ride: go ahead that’s fair. But I had a 3.8 and a perfect ACT score coming from a top S florida private school and I still didn’t get what the back up kicker gets in scholarship. They get by far their fair share of special treatment. Crying about how you think they deserve a check because football takes SOOO much time while having to take Native American studies will get no sympathy from me or any other college student.

The time THE AVERAGE football player spends each week between training and academics is the same or less than what an engineering or premed major spends studying at a top 40 academic institution. At least if you gave them an advance on career earnings the ROI will be predictable and more reliable.

Allow me to counter with a few points. I graduated from UM 8 years ago, and am well aware of the athlete treatment there (which is consistent with athlete treatment at most other major universities from what I understand).

Would you consider all the cheesy classes and academic hand-holding for these players to be an advantage or disadvantage in the long run? I agree that most players are infantilized with excessive rule bending and assistance. I was witness to plenty of players taking a class with me and not learning a **** thing the entire time. This is not to their benefit. Unlike us and our peers, who have to learn how to take care of ourselves away from authority, and recognize the consequences of laziness and shoddy work, they don't get this lesson at all until they leave school for the league or a job that they are totally unprepared for.

Concerning scholarships, that is the harsh reality of private education. With grades and scores like yours, I would not be surprised to learn you could have gotten a full ride at hundreds of public universities, but you chose to pay part or all of your way at UM. Most athletes do not have scholarships to every school imaginable, and choose to go to the university that offers them the best opportunity.

NCAA athletes are supposed to be limited to 20 hrs/wk of athletically related activities. A 2 year old study by the NCAA found that the average FBS football player actually spent over 39 hrs/wk doing so. I'm willing to bet that a flagship program like Miami exceeds the average. The ones that actually ball out often spend further time away from the team studying the playbook, drilling themselves, seeking advice from pros, etc. Add to that their 12 -15 hours of class time per week and the few hours outside of class they spend in tutoring or actually studying, and you're near 60 hrs/wk. I knew plenty of engineering and pre-med students in my time, and none of them were spending 3 hours studying for every hour in class.

All of this is to say that the "benefits" of being an athlete, specifically a football player, definitely exist but have distinct drawbacks or limitations, and they do in fact spend a ton of time on their sport.

Advertisement
I don’t. Most people don’t. You probably read them about 20 times over with your hand in your pants, though.

So, you are now claiming you don't read my posts, yet you complain about the content of my posts. I mistakenly suggested that you are stupid, which I now realize is a horrendous insult to stupid people. Right along here I would suggest to you that a brain is a terrible thing to waste, but that vacancy sign hanging from the side of your lopsided head says it all. Now run along junior and go play in traffic.

So, you are now claiming you don't read my posts, yet you complain about the content of my posts. I mistakenly suggested that you are stupid, which I now realize is a horrendous insult to stupid people. Right along here I would suggest to you that a brain is a terrible thing to waste, but that vacancy sign hanging from the side of your lopsided head says it all. Now run along junior and go play in traffic.

Lol did not read.

Advertisement
Back