Someone Educate Me

RangerGranger

Gnome Sayin'?
Realizing we have an existing legacy system in place cemented by TV contracts, I don't think we can kill the NCAA outright and college football(I'm not trying to lose my Canes, now), but I think there can be some major reform to pay these kids.

If you are against paying the players, then you must support the current structure of all the old heads getting paid at the kids expense. Wait, the kids expense?!!? Fast forward 30 years in the future and a kid like Joe Yearby could POSSIBLY have made $100,000 for his time in college football. Enough to give him a solid foundation for his future and KID. Instead, he made big moolah for old farts sitting at the school and for the broadcasting companies.

This isn't right, man. We're slaving the kids away to pay CBS, ABC, ESPN, AND ON AND ON AND ON. Our football players also sacrifice the world to pay for obsolete jobs at UM in education. When a job gets created at a school, do you honestly think they would ever lay that person off? They operate just like a private sector business -- they will protect that job behind the broad side of the "Education Umbrella".

And dear god if you say "OH WE GIVE THEM COLLEGE DEGREES"... Just look at my grammar and then say that sh*t again. Players can't have jobs while playing football, not at big time schools.

Sorry for inducing the brain pain, but man, can someone please explain to me how slave labor is still going on????? Mike Vrabel said it best, the NCAA is running the NFL's farm system for free. Rip my eyeballs out now...

Advertisement
We give them college degrees.
That's the problem at a lot of these "schools". They GIVE them degrees, but don't actually educate them. They use these kids to make millions, and don't teach many of them a darn thing. God only knows what Alabama is injecting into their student athletes to make them bigger and stronger. It's a rotten system.

Yeah, these young men have a chance to get a real education, but many of them, if not most, have been used for their football skills since they were little. It's all they know. When they are given a chance to skate through school and play football, what do you think most of them do? It's human nature to take the path of least resistance.

It's a mess, and it needs to be reformed, somehow.

Advertisement
Realizing we have an existing legacy system in place cemented by TV contracts, I don't think we can kill the NCAA outright and college football(I'm not trying to lose my Canes, now), but I think there can be some major reform to pay these kids.

If you are against paying the players, then you must support the current structure of all the old heads getting paid at the kids expense. Wait, the kids expense?!!? Fast forward 30 years in the future and a kid like Joe Yearby could POSSIBLY have made $100,000 for his time in college football. Enough to give him a solid foundation for his future and KID. Instead, he made big moolah for old farts sitting at the school and for the broadcasting companies.

This isn't right, man. We're slaving the kids away to pay CBS, ABC, ESPN, AND ON AND ON AND ON. Our football players also sacrifice the world to pay for obsolete jobs at UM in education. When a job gets created at a school, do you honestly think they would ever lay that person off? They operate just like a private sector business -- they will protect that job behind the broad side of the "Education Umbrella".

And dear god if you say "OH WE GIVE THEM COLLEGE DEGREES"... Just look at my grammar and then say that sh*t again. Players can't have jobs while playing football, not at big time schools.

Sorry for inducing the brain pain, but man, can someone please explain to me how slave labor is still going on????? Mike Vrabel said it best, the NCAA is running the NFL's farm system for free. Rip my eyeballs out now...
Bruh. This sht is so retarded I don't know where to start.

Let's say in addition to free housing and school they all made 50k a year. You don't think the teams that really want to win would pay double, triple or quadruple in bags to really elite guys?

Either go free market, where players are paid what they're worth, or the black market will properly compensate kids with schools and boosters assuming the risk

Have a pool of money set aside, every scholarship player gets the same amount (different level from power 5 and group od 5) and ONLY after they graduate they get that allotment. That’s how they should do it. They already get cost of attendance and meals are paid for now. In addition to that they get Pell grant from financial aid too

This way you ensure players are getting a degree and they will be taken care of and at least get a piece of puzzle the NCAA is making off of their backs

Last edited:
Have a pool of money set aside, everyone scholarship player gets the same amount and ONLY after they graduate they get that allotment. That’s how they should do it. They already get cost of attendance and meals are paid for now. In addition to that they get Pell grant from financial aid too
Haha. WTF. F no,

Why should Bar Milo get the same take as Homer or Ahmmon or St. Louis?

F paying these jits. I know for a fact they get hooked up some as it is. Leave it as it is. The only thing this will do is absolutely KILL the game because the vast majority of schools, including Miami can't or won't pay worker's comp.

Advertisement
That's the problem at a lot of these "schools". They GIVE them degrees, but don't actually educate them. They use these kids to make millions, and don't teach many of them a darn thing. God only knows what Alabama is injecting into their student athletes to make them bigger and stronger. It's a rotten system.

Yeah, these young men have a chance to get a real education, but many of them, if not most, have been used for their football skills since they were little. It's all they know. When they are given a chance to skate through school and play football, what do you think most of them do? It's human nature to take the path of least resistance.

There are literally millions of kids who would love to be given a free room, free food, free tutors, lax course schedules. They literally have NO ONE to blame but themselves. You cannot be handed any better of a situation unless you've EARNED a full academic ride and didn't play football on the side.

I'm not blaming the schools on this ones. It's on the parents to raise their kids well enough to take advantage of what's in front of them.

OP presupposes every football player is doomed to low paying, illiterate **** so why try to help educate them and give them a shot at lifetime employment.

It’s the worst kind of bigotry. The bigotry of low expectations.

Sure give them 50 or 100k. How long will that last without an education? You can say players should receive some form of compensation without taking a shlt on what an education and a degree can provide for a student athlete.

Sadly, a lot of youth today get positive reinforcement from some of their peers and some in their community to stay dumb, “keep it real”, and don’t bother with an education.

There are plenty of examples of Miami student athletes that came from difficult backgrounds who used the opportunity for a degree to jump start careers and lives.

Hope OP isn’t a career counselor.

“$100,000? That’s a lot of ice cream!”
-Jelani Hamilton

When the next Eric Legrand **** near kills himself, and it WILL happen, if the player is an employee that school, or the collection of schools contributing to the insurance pool will be on the hook for millions. If the players are "officially" paid that means game over.

The finances alone doom this idea. Now I think that universities shouldn't be in the business of running Farm Teams anyway but that's a different kettle of fish.

Advertisement
OP presupposes every football player is doomed to low paying, illiterate **** so why try to help educate them and give them a shot at lifetime employment.

It’s the worst kind of bigotry. The bigotry of low expectations.

Sure give them 50 or 100k. How long will that last without an education? You can say players should receive some form of compensation without taking a shlt on what an education and a degree can provide for a student athlete.

Sadly, a lot of youth today get positive reinforcement from some of their peers and some in their community to stay dumb, “keep it real”, and don’t bother with an education.

There are plenty of examples of Miami student athletes that came from difficult backgrounds who used the opportunity for a degree to jump start careers and lives.

Hope OP isn’t a career counselor.

The OP is a software dev for a fortune 5. crazy huh. from the mud of Polk lol

What percentage of our football team could be admitted to UM if the same admissions standards as are used for applicants-in-general were applied? If you're gonna pay them, why not end the charade and just say "You're here to ball out, classes are optional."

What percentage of our football team could be admitted to UM if the same admissions standards as are used for applicants-in-general were applied? If you're gonna pay them, why not end the charade and just say "You're here to ball out, forget the classes?"
Basically zero. Braxton and Shaq only off the top of my head. How about Cal, UNC, UVA, USC, Michigan, even UF or Ohio State? Same situation over there.

But again, these specific guys ALL should be admitted because college football is HUGE business. In what other line of work should a teacher or professor be paid $4-5 million a year like all these guys including Richt are? The best surgeons don't make that kind of money and top surgeons literally save lives. This whole thing is dirty but an intractable situation.

Advertisement
You obviously dont understand how much miami tuition is worth.

University of Miami - Net Price, Tuition, Cost to Attend, Financial Aid and Student Loans

America is the only country who glorifies college sports. Any type of compensation of salary or being able to sell their likeness will result in the death of amateur sports. If you think the SEC is corrupt now wait till they can pay players for autographs.

You obviously live in a liberal country lol.

Degrees mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING outside of medical, law, and other regulated fields.

Just stay in that country for me bro.

Basically zero. Braxton and Shaq only off the top of my head. How about Cal, UNC, UVA, USC, Michigan, even UF or Ohio State? Same situation over there.

But again, these specific guys ALL should be admitted because college football is HUGE business. In what other line of work should a teacher or professor be paid $4-5 million a year like all these guys including Richt are? The best surgeons don't make that kind of money and top surgeons literally save lives. This whole thing is dirty but an intractable situation.

I think it was the Tennessee governor that was bragging about the salary for the UT job.

A governor bragging about a coach having the highest state salary. **** on earth.

You obviously live in a liberal country lol.

Degrees mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING outside of medical, law, and other regulated fields.

Just stay in that country for me bro.

I live in the United States, but i travel...the rest of the developed world laughs at our love for college sports, college cost, and medical system.

Accounting, Engineering, Biology, Business Management, Marketing, Human Resources, Computer Science. Dozens of others. Don't be stupid.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back