Some passing game solutions

Advertisement
I think Mario, Zo Highsmith, etc are smart enough that they aren’t gonna let Gattis NOT adjust things.

I also think that they way Gattis left Michigan he’s got extra incentive to produce on a high level outside of the Harbaugh shadow.

You look at his resume, and it’s not like he has a huge number of years as a play caller. It’s less than 5

By all accounts he’s a bright guy, here to hoping he pulls the levers to elevate this passing game. It just might take longer than we all want

I think Mario, Zo Highsmith, etc are smart enough that they aren’t gonna let Gattis NOT adjust things.

I also think that they way Gattis left Michigan he’s got extra incentive to produce on a high level outside of the Harbaugh shadow.

You look at his resume, and it’s not like he has a huge number of years as a play caller. It’s less than 5

By all accounts he’s a bright guy, here to hoping he pulls the levers to elevate this passing game. It just might take longer than we all want

Don't be so sure. Coaches are an odd, stubborn bunch. In their eyes, if a WR can't catch, block or run routes well, there's only so much coaching you can do.

Advertisement
Don't be so sure. Coaches are an odd, stubborn bunch. In their eyes, if a WR can't catch, block or run routes well, there's only so much coaching you can do.
It's the coach's job to:

1) design plays that get players open;

2) teach them how to block downfield. If WRs don't want to block downfield (which really comes down mostly to effort & attitude) or can't, they should ride pine or be welcomed to hit the portal. What we saw in terms of downfield blocking was really poor by virtually all of our WRs. That has to become an attitude. If I were Mario, I would leave OL primarily in Mirabal's hands (he's doing a fantastic job) and I would oversee blocking drills for the WRs every practice (without taking players to the ground) until this is firmly entrenched. We had a bunch of plays that could have gone somewhere but didn't due to really poor blocking. Everyone from Mallory to WRs has to up their game and be more physical when blocking; and

3) teach them how to catch consistently.

I just don't see any coach that takes that old school stubborn approach lasting very long at Miami (one season max). Mario will be here for a long time but I'm sure he cares about his Canes coaching legacy tremendously and even he will need to adapt in certain areas (especially on offense & as a gameday coach) or his tenure won't be what he envisioned. I believe he is smart enough to adapt & wants to succeed badly.

Well Parrish had a huge drop that may have been a Td, and was also targeted 2 other times, once on a wheel route, and once on a dump off safety valve play where Lb broke it up.

Jaylan does neeed more touches in the pass game, but as previously mentioned he is coming off injury and they may be trying to slightly limit snaps. Not sure

Agree and understand. And I’ve said the Parrish drop was one of the 2-3 biggest plays of the entire game. However, there were no designed calls to get these kids the ball in space. Even the wheel, he wasn’t the first read. Design ways to get these guys involved in the passing game if you don’t have WRs you can scheme open.

Advertisement
He’s got to use more space , motions , stacks wr’s and rub action. I believe we completed two passes against man. Which is the easiest coverage to beat if you’re worth your salt as a play caller. Space gives your guys more room to operate , all the condensed stuff doesn’t. Play to the hashes or wider.

Using motion to get mismatches with guys like Arroyo , Mallory , Knighton and Parrish. I saw no creativity Saturday and thats what’s grinding my gears.
Did you cut and paste this from the Richt days?

Advertisement
Agree all around but especially with this one. TVD's best throw was the wheel to Arroyo where he didn't think, he just fired a perfect strike.

This offense is too much brains. Not enough **** and balls.
It was a good play, but TVD was off on that throw too. He would have put more air under it and led Arroyo, it’s 6.
Not to say all out offensive woes is on TVD. But he has been off all year.

I am not worried about the former Broyoles Award OC and the ACC freshman of the year pulling things together. Gattis and TVD will get this fixed. Last year, it took Lashlee and TVD a couple of games to start clicking (NC State is when TVD had his break out game), and Lashlee and TVD didn’t have a TAMU defense or anything comparable on the Canes schedule, and injuries to the key WRs weren’t an issue either.

now, if the offense is still struggling after UNC, I will revisit my opinion at that time.

Frankly, we has 27 first downs and 5 red zone opportunities. The Canes were bullies in the trenches. That’s all progress from last season where we got bullied and embarrassed against the likes of Alabama and Michigan State. I am still optimistic about 10-2

Advertisement
I am not worried about the former Broyoles Award OC and the ACC freshman of the year pulling things together. Gattis and TVD will get this fixed. Last year, it took Lashlee and TVD a couple of games to start clicking (NC State is when TVD had his break out game), and Lashlee and TVD didn’t have a TAMU defense or anything comparable on the Canes schedule, and injuries to the key WRs weren’t an issue either.

now, if the offense is still struggling after UNC, I will revisit my opinion at that time.

Frankly, we has 27 first downs and 5 red zone opportunities. The Canes were bullies in the trenches. That’s all progress from last season where we got bullied and embarrassed against the likes of Alabama and Michigan State. I am still optimistic about 10-2
Bama and MSU were better teams than the ATM team we just played.

All these suggestions for the passing game sound great, but none of them work if tvd continues to stare down receivers and tip off the defense as to where the ball is going.

Advertisement
Back