Some Noticable things missing from this team

Some Noticable things missing from this team

Each week I watch the games and each week I'm expecting things to show up. But they don't.. Things noticeably missing.

1. We don't back down to lower opponents. I was waiting for us to let App State back in the game. Never even came close to happening
2. Even when we beat teams I expect us to give up yards and points. Is not happening.
3. Penalties. I totally expect us to give up 100+ yards in penalties even in games we win. Not happening
4. When we are up I fully expect UM to take their foot off the gas. Not happening

Last year we might have been 3-0 at this point. But it would have been 3 ugly wins with a ton of point and yards given up. We would have been happy with the 3-0 start but you would have had this sick feeling in your stomach like something was still wrong. That's not happening to me right now.

Also there is a reason why even though you have played lesser opponents you are ranked 14th. Its because the world sees few weaknesses in your game. They can see you are well coached and they know when you are tested by better teams you will respond.

Advertisement
Drop the binders, throw away the tie, and grab a floppy hat.. it totally changes how you look.

Really, really bugging me were not more explosive on Kick and Punt Return.

We definitely have the pieces to make more of a dent in this phase. I understand why we have Berrios back there (see the boneheaded mistake Anntonio Calloway made last week for example. Enough to make a coach's head explode), but we can get what he brings in reliability w someone who is threat to take it to the house. And if we cant, coach em up Hartley to get them there.

We are also missing the token "non-athletic but gosh darn smart and likeable" dude on the team that beats out the more athletic guys because he "practices so hard..."

Advertisement

We definitely have the pieces to make more of a dent in this phase. I understand why we have Berrios back there (see the boneheaded mistake Anntonio Calloway made last week for example. Enough to make a coach's head explode), but we can get what he brings in reliability w someone who is threat to take it to the house. And if we cant, coach em up Hartley to get them there.

Berrios housed one the first game

Advertisement
What's missing is Al Golden and his posse of losers and that is he best thing that could've happened at The U! Feels good to be The U again!

Berrios housed one the first game

I know, but that's equivalent of saying a hitter hit a HR in -- after 300 AB's. He just doesn't have that burst for KR/ PR.

Every returner not named Devin Hester needs blocks.

Advertisement

What about Santana Moss, Parrish, Kevin Williams, Duke (when we put him back there at least), Phillip Buchanon, Randall Hill?

We lost our way with KR/ PR with Randy.

Punt returns is all about blocking. We have way too many guys running free up field. Berrios earns the job by catching any ball and even takes the ball when bouncing and preventing 15 yards further back. Very few guys took punts to the house. Besides Moss and Hester there are very few all stars. Even those guys did not do it alone.

As for Kick returns I do not even know who we got back there and we have had very few returns this year.

Advertisement

What about Santana Moss, Parrish, Kevin Williams, Duke (when we put him back there at least), Phillip Buchanon, Randall Hill?

We lost our way with Randy, but use Duke as an example of a really good returner, who was after Randy...
Our return game is good. I'm not gunna say its great or anything, but it's definitely not bad.
We've only had 8 opportunites at returning kick I think, and Berrios did have a nice one he brought back to like the 40. He's returned a punt.
I will say, that in a situation where we're tied with 10secs left in the game, I'd want Corn returning the kick/punt.

Last edited:

We lost our way with Randy, but use Duke as an example of a really good returner, who was after Randy...
Our return game is good. I'm not gunna say its great or anything, but it's definitely not bad.
We've only had 8 opportunites at returning kick I think, and Berrios did have a nice one he brought back to like the 40. He's returned a punt.
I will say, that in a situation where we're tied with 10secs left in the game, I'd want Corn returning the kick/punt.

Under most circumstances I don't want corn on special teams, but 10 seconds and the game on the line? **** yeah, that's the guy.

We are also missing the token "non-athletic but gosh darn smart and likeable" dude on the team that beats out the more athletic guys because he "practices so hard..."

LOL great observation. That was a constant under the last three morons.

Berrios is really weak on KR. He had a huge lane against ASU on one return but isn't fast enough to break it.

Agile, but not blazing speed. I understand having him on PR because you can rely on him, etc. But he's gotta go on KR.

Advertisement
Back