Some Noticable things missing from this team

Really, really bugging me were not more explosive on Kick and Punt Return.

We definitely have the pieces to make more of a dent in this phase. I understand why we have Berrios back there (see the boneheaded mistake Anntonio Calloway made last week for example. Enough to make a coach's head explode), but we can get what he brings in reliability w someone who is threat to take it to the house. And if we cant, coach em up Hartley to get them there.

Every returner not named Devin Hester needs blocks.

What about Santana Moss, Parrish, Kevin Williams, Duke (when we put him back there at least), Phillip Buchanon, Randall Hill?

We lost our way with KR/ PR with Randy.

We lost our way with Randy, but use Duke as an example of a really good returner, who was after Randy...
Our return game is good. I'm not gunna say its great or anything, but it's definitely not bad.
We've only had 8 opportunites at returning kick I think, and Berrios did have a nice one he brought back to like the 40. He's returned a punt.
I will say, that in a situation where we're tied with 10secs left in the game, I'd want Corn returning the kick/punt.

It's not just this year my bro.

And the Duke example doesn't nullify the statement of losing our way.

I agree, it isn't bad, but it could and should be better. We can do better than Brax (who even joked about how long it took him to take one back after he got his first against FAMU. He's a fine WR btw). I said the same when we had Walton and Dorsett back there.

Advertisement
Really, really bugging me were not more explosive on Kick and Punt Return.

We definitely have the pieces to make more of a dent in this phase. I understand why we have Berrios back there (see the boneheaded mistake Anntonio Calloway made last week for example. Enough to make a coach's head explode), but we can get what he brings in reliability w someone who is threat to take it to the house. And if we cant, coach em up Hartley to get them there.

What about Santana Moss, Parrish, Kevin Williams, Duke (when we put him back there at least), Phillip Buchanon, Randall Hill?

We lost our way with Randy, but use Duke as an example of a really good returner, who was after Randy...
Our return game is good. I'm not gunna say its great or anything, but it's definitely not bad.
We've only had 8 opportunites at returning kick I think, and Berrios did have a nice one he brought back to like the 40. He's returned a punt.
I will say, that in a situation where we're tied with 10secs left in the game, I'd want Corn returning the kick/punt.

I agree, it isn't bad, but it could and should be better. We can do better than Brax (who even joked about how long it took him to take one back after he got his first against FAMU. He's a fine WR btw). I said the same when we had Walton and Dorsett back there.

I look forward to having some great return guys again, but for now I just don't see this as a pressing problem. Don't make mistakes and pick up a few yards- I'm fine with that for now. Which is a good thing because I don't see that we have anyone who's better that we can risk. The defense looks great right now, but I don't want to be without Corn when we start getting teams that can throw.

I look forward to having some great return guys again, but for now I just don't see this as a pressing problem. Don't make mistakes and pick up a few yards- I'm fine with that for now. Which is a good thing because I don't see that we have anyone who's better that we can risk. The defense looks great right now, but I don't want to be without Corn when we start getting teams that can throw.

Legit question w no right or wrong answer :

Would you rather have a reliable guy back there like Berrios or Walton who you know will rarely take one back, but will always make the smart play ?

Or would you rather have a constant threat to house one, who may fumble every now and then, or get tackled for a loss ?

We lose Nothing by having Berrios handle the duties right now bc our D is putting us in great positions, but man, there have been too many games turned around by a dynamic KR (ex: FSU v Auburn; Bammer v Clemson), so I lean toward the Reward outweighing the risk side here.

I'd like to see Elder, Homer, Colbert, Coley, Richards, Mullins back there. Hartley talked big about not shying away from using the best players in the return game this sumner (even cited using Gurley at UGA). Let the boys play.

We've had good return guys all the way up until Golden got here. (cause he doesn't recruit those kind of athletes)

Shannon had Benjamin. And even Miller was a threat. (housed one against OSU) And Collier wasn't terrible either.

Golden simply didn't recruit dynamic athletes. We could have Isaiah McKenzie returning kicks for us right now but...

Advertisement
I would agree OP except for the "let the foot off the gas" part.

We've done that a couple of times already this year but were able to stop the accelerator back down again.

4-0 here we come.

We've had good return guys all the way up until Golden got here. (cause he doesn't recruit those kind of athletes)

Shannon had Benjamin. And even Miller was a threat. (housed one against OSU) And Collier wasn't terrible either.

Golden simply didn't recruit dynamic athletes. We could have Isaiah McKenzie returning kicks for us right now but...

But then again, Golden did recruit Duke and Corn Elder. And Corn returned like 4 or 5 kicks/punts last year, even though I think 2 or 3 were called back. He still had the talent to do it. And we all know Duke was a great Kick returner, but the problem with returners is its not worth sacrificing PT if they are starters at RB, WR, or DB, unless you got a lot of depth or its a special circumstance like late in a games or before half.

But then again, Golden did recruit Duke and Corn Elder. And Corn returned like 4 or 5 kicks/punts last year, even though I think 2 or 3 were called back. He still had the talent to do it. And we all know Duke was a great Kick returner, but the problem with returners is its not worth sacrificing PT if they are starters at RB, WR, or DB, unless you got a lot of depth or its a special circumstance like late in a games or before half.

And then they inexplicably took Corn off.

Patrick Peterson, Matheiu, Gurley, Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller, Adoree Jackson, Christian McCaffrey, Reggie Bush, Steffon Diggs, Calloway, Jarvis Landry, Jabril Peppers..

The list is vast and endless of stud, starting players on KR/ PR. We can't be scared of injuries. From Hartleys own mouth:

“At Georgia, Todd Gurley was their best player; he was returning kickoffs,” said UM special teams coordinator Todd Hartley, who worked for Richt with the Bulldogs. “Our best players are going to play. You can't be worried about [risk of injuries] too much. There are some discussions obviously, but if he's our best punt returner and gives us the best chance to change the game in a punt return, the guy is going to be out there. "

And then they inexplicably took Corn off.

Patrick Peterson, Matheiu, Gurley, Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller, Adoree Jackson, Christian McCaffrey, Reggie Bush, Steffon Diggs, Calloway, Jarvis Landry, Jabril Peppers..

The list is vast and endless of stud, starting players on KR/ PR. We can't be scared of injuries. From Hartleys own mouth:

“At Georgia, Todd Gurley was their best player; he was returning kickoffs,” said UM special teams coordinator Todd Hartley, who worked for Richt with the Bulldogs. “Our best players are going to play. You can't be worried about [risk of injuries] too much. There are some discussions obviously, but if he's our best punt returner and gives us the best chance to change the game in a punt return, the guy is going to be out there. "

First, I'd rather see no turnovers than TDs at this point. That could change if I saw a non-starter who was a true threat. Second, I think golden accidentally got a good returner in corn- I don't think he was recruited for that ability. Third, here's where our depth comes in. People are now claiming that we don't have depth issues, but I would argue that the team is much better with Coley and Corn on the field and that they are therefor too valuable to have them returning kicks. If Bruce were healthy, I'd like him to get a shot. I think that teams that use starters on ST are deeper and/or more desperate. I believe we can win with our offense/defense, so I'm willing to put our 2nd best guys on kick/punt returns.

Advertisement
We might have lost to App State under Golden. I don't believe FAMU would have been that different under Golden (a dog could coach the Canes to a 50+ point win over FAMU) but we might have only beaten FAU by 14.

I like Berrios on PR, PR is more of a quickness spot that speed. However I would be completely fine seeing someone else on KR. I think they would have used Bruce there if not for the injury. So, in a way their hands are somewhat tied by lack of available experienced playmakers.

I would not risk Coley, or Corn. Too valuable. For every game won by a return TD, I would bet there are easily as many or more lost due to a muff. Heck, look at the App St/UT game, App got that momentum from that early miscue and held that momentum most of the game.

How about Richards on KR? Any other young guys? Young maybe? Homer? He is definitely fast enough, he flashes when he is on the field.

Advertisement
Back