Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nas fell off in the late 90s and early 2000s hard but I felt he has come back very well. There was a time where he was really flailing on the cusp of irrelevancy.

Talking even more recently, the Kanye disaster really did some damage to Nas’ reputation. He didn’t drop one good album from 2013-2019.

Thankfully, his last three albums with Hit-Boy have been nearly flawless and have gotten him back on track.

I’d even argue KD2 belongs in the discussion with It Was Written, Stillmatic + God’s Son as his second best album.

Advertisement
Top 10 All Time Rappers in terms of pure talent, musical output and mainstream success:

1 - Nas

2 - Tupac

3 - Jay-Z

4 - Eminem

5 - Biggie

6 - Scarface

7 - Rakim

8 - Lil Wayne

9 - Kanye West

10 - Big L

Honorable mentions: Andre 3000, Black Thought, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar, Ghostface Killah, T.I.

1. Pac
2. Future
3. Drake
4. Gucci Mane
5. Young Dolph
6. Nicki Minaj
7. Lil Wayne
8. Jadakiss
9. Andre 3000
10. DMX

Honorable mention: Kanye West, Lil Baby, NBA youngboy, young thug, TI, Cam’ron, Biggie, Kodak Black

Last edited:
BIG L would have been better than Jay and Nas. AZ is the most underrated MC to come out of New York.
Big L is a super talent. Ultimate what if for what type of music he would have made with that Rocafella deal…So many dominoes for American music would have fell differently

Regarding Coleman's legacy in an interview with Funkmaster Flex, Nas claimed "[Coleman] scared me to death. When I heard [his performance at the Apollo Theater] on tape, I was scared to death. I said, 'Yo, it's no way I can compete if this is what I gotta compete with.

Advertisement
He struggled with putting songs together. He could make these amazing introspective songs that involved storytelling but struggled outside of that. Sure he was the man during the boom bap era but once the music started to evolve, he struggled. He tried being Jay and he just wasn’t that. The first banger he had where I was stunned on what I was hearing was ‘Made you look’. I said, no way he came up with that. You sometimes gotta dumb it down, is the best way to put it. It’s about quotable words/lyrics, not essays. Although there is a time and place for the essays.
Fortunately for him, the strength of Illmatic and It Was Written was so profound, that in spite of several albums that flipped, he will forever be etched in the Mount Rushmore of emcee's.
Also, in judging him, I look at his DJ Clue, freestyles, features, etc. I look at his total body of work....beyond albums.

Last edited:
Fred is not the number 2 best punchline artist of all time. lol. He was good but not even close to the top 2. JR Writer, Jadakiss, Canibus, Royce, Lord Finnese, Cassidy, are all better.
JR was kinda 💩. A couple of mixtapes and he was a nobody. I remember when he and J Mills were the next guys up and just weren’t it.

Advertisement
Talking even more recently, the Kanye disaster really did some damage to Nas’ reputation. He didn’t drop one good album from 2013-2019.

Thankfully, his last three albums with Hit-Boy have been nearly flawless and have gotten him back on track.

I’d even argue KD2 belongs in the discussion with It Was Written, Stillmatic + God’s Son as his second best album.
I wasn’t that high on God’s Son outside of the intro track and Made you Look.

JR was kinda 💩. A couple of mixtapes and he was a nobody. I remember when he and J Mills were the next guys up and just weren’t it.
his word play though was elite. he had the same problem Canibus had, where his word play went over most peoples heads. Same with papoose. Thats why their careers tanked.

Advertisement
I wasn’t that high on God’s Son outside of the intro track and Made you Look.

That’s actually a pretty common opinion. It’s a really personal album and some people aren’t a fan of that side of Nas.

Stillmatic seems to be the preferred album from that period of time when people are talking great Nas albums.

Advertisement
He had all the hype coming out and has some solid material. Will always be an under ground king. Him and Slay would crack me up with their crazy antiquated look on life and the world.

At the beginning of each year, he releases an “Obituary” track for those who have died in the previous one.

Always a must listen for me.

Fab was way better than Kassidy to me in those early days. And I would argue he is a pretty good lyricist as well, when he wants to be

his word play though was elite. he had the same problem Canibus had, where his word play went over most peoples heads. Same with papoose. Thats why their careers tanked.
He wasn’t as lyrical as Canibus. Dipset…. I love them and I hate them at the same time. If there was ever an equivalent of hair metal in Hip Hop, it was them. JR was a solid MC but he will not be remembered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back