Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Top 10 All Time Rappers in terms of pure talent, musical output and mainstream success:

1 - Nas

2 - Tupac

3 - Jay-Z

4 - Eminem

5 - Biggie

6 - Scarface

7 - Rakim

8 - Lil Wayne

9 - Kanye West

10 - Big L

Honorable mentions: Andre 3000, Black Thought, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Bun B, Kendrick Lamar, 50 Cent, Ghostface Killah, T.I.

If production is left out, Kanye shouldn’t be anywhere near Andre or Black Thought imo. With production he might be on hip hops Rushmore.

Advertisement
If production is left out, Kanye shouldn’t be anywhere near Andre or Black Thought imo. With production he might be on hip hops Rushmore.
Thats why its impossible to make a definitive top 10 list. You need to add in all the caveats for your list. Also, its impossible to accurately rate an artist on a GOAT list if you weren't around when they were in their prime and was able to hear it compared to their contemporary artists.

Thats why its impossible to make a definitive top 10 list. You need to add in all the caveats for your list. Also, its impossible to accurately rate an artist on a GOAT list if you weren't around when they were in their prime and was able to hear it compared to their contemporary artists.

Exactly. Only old heads should be able to say GOAT, and still most are biased and don’t accept newer stuff.

It’s like when 13 year olds call Bron the GOAT.

Exactly. Only old heads should be able to say GOAT, and still most are biased and don’t accept newer stuff.

It’s like when 13 year olds call Bron the GOAT.
I am not going to say only old heads can say who is the GOAT since that also leaves out guys like Bach and Paganini. And like you said a lot of old heads are biased towards older stuff, but again, its impossible to accurately rate someone who you didn't hear in their prime.

Its like you got guys saying LL cool J is overated, when they are comparing his stuff that his been ripped to youtube 1000x and is grainy af, when compared to seeing NBA young boy in concert and getting hammered and going wild with their boys. Of course they are going to feel a certain bias towards NBA.

Advertisement
I am not going to say only old heads can say who is the GOAT since that also leaves out guys like Bach and Paganini. And like you said a lot of old heads are biased towards older stuff, but again, its impossible to accurately rate someone who you didn't hear in their prime.

Its like you got guys saying LL cool J is overated, when they are comparing his stuff that his been ripped to youtube 1000x and is grainy af, when compared to seeing NBA young boy in concert and getting hammered and going wild with their boys. Of course they are going to feel a certain bias towards NBA.

Just saying when you’re there at the time something innovative comes out you notice and think **** this is fresh. Twenty years later that styles been bit, played out and ran into the ground so much it just sounds dated.

Seen Jedi Mind Tricks back in 06/07 at Jones Beach.. I believe it was the Rock The Bells tour 🤔...He was nice .. Underground 💩
Pharaoh is another one.

I was too young to go to Rock the Bells back then and by the time I got older they canceled it.

Such a shame.

Those shows were probably amazing.

Advertisement
Another reason a GOAT list isn’t a tell all is groups. Wu Tang may not have anyone individually you find on top 10 lists (although I personally put Ghost, GZA and Rae up with anyone), the culmination of the production and chemistry makes it one of if not the best hip hop experiences you can ever hear. Same with Tribe when Phife was in his prime and OutKast.

Just saying when you’re there at the time something innovative comes out you notice and think **** this is fresh. Twenty years later that styles been bit, played out and ran into the ground so much it just sounds dated.
You are 100% right and I agree with you no question. Rakim for example. Literally none of the guys from the 90s or early 00s would sound the same without rakim. The guy was incredibly innovative and unless you were around in the 80s, you wouldn't be able to appreciate how amazing he actually was. Same with guys like the beatles. I mean people literally though paganini sold his soul to the devil. I can't imagine how insane he must have been compared to the competition lol.

Advertisement
You are 100% right and I agree with you no question. Rakim for example. Literally none of the guys from the 90s or early 00s would sound the same without rakim. The guy was incredibly innovative and unless you were around in the 80s, you wouldn't be able to appreciate how amazing he actually was. Same with guys like the beatles. I mean people literally though paganini sold his soul to the devil. I can't imagine how insane he must have been compared to the competition lol.

💯

Another reason a GOAT list isn’t a tell all is groups. Wu Tang may not have anyone individually you find on top 10 lists (although I personally put Ghost, GZA and Rae up with anyone), the culmination of the production and chemistry makes it one of if not the best hip hop experiences you can ever hear. Same with Tribe when Phife was in his prime and OutKast.
All Wu's members were dope af!!!
1.Wu 2.Tribe 3.Bonethugz 4.Outkast. 5.NWA. 6.Beastie Boys 7.The Lox 8.Mobb Deep 9.Pharcyde 10.Flatbush Zombies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back