Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Can't tell if this is a troll or not - I've been got before - but imo it remains to be seen if Ed really wants to hit the pavement as a position coach. He was only a position coach with the Bills for one year. Granted he wasn't retained by the incoming McDermott but he could have gone to look for something else and I'm sure found something easily. Were I a D-I safety I don't think there is anyone, Saban included, I'd rather learn from. That said, the skills it takes to become a HOF safety aren't the same ones it takes to become a great safeties coach (there's a reason why the best college safeties coaches you can think of aren't also in the NFL hall of fame). Expert practitioners often have difficulty switching to a training role, because things come so naturally to them it can be hard (without lots of practice) to be able to helpfully bridge the gap between their expertise and someone who's just learning. Plus he's got a lot of other stuff going on off field.

Charitable reading of this is that no team has made a real, long term commitment to him, so maybe that's why he's seemed distant and hasn't seemed like he really wants to do it. Cynical reading is that even though he drops hints about wanting to be a head coach, he is basically comfortable with his current level of commitment. Personally, I'd love if he and UM went all in on him being a coach, because there's no limit to what he has to teach our kids.
I'm with you. I agree that he could be an effective teacher. This isn't Michael Jordan jumping from the foul line and asking, "why can't you do that?" Ed obviously had physical gifts but what made him the GOAT was his preparation, and ability to identify what the O was going to do. That kind of attention to detail is a tremendous teaching tool.

I’m the most anti- “hire all Miami bro’s” bro on the board, but Ed is in a different category.

#1) He was an assistant DB’s coach with the Bills, so he does actually have coaching experience
#2) No one had better preparation & film study at their position except for maybe Ray Lewis or Tom Brady. Ed Reed had the Mamba Mentality approach to understanding the intricacies of the game & breaking down film.
#3) He’s been a coach at the UA All-American multiple times, seems trivial right? Except so did Deion Sanders, Herm Edwards & Marvin Lewis all before they returned to coaching in college, they simply used it as an opportunity to re-ingratiate themselves with the High school recruiting scene.
#4) Ed shows up to nearly every event we have on campus, he was at Elite Prospect Day just a few weeks ago, why keep showing up all the time if you don’t have time? Lol

Point being, I don’t think anyone would argue that Ed isn’t arguably the greatest Safety of all-time, so if he wanted to be Safeties coach why not? It’s not like he’d be the DC responsible for calling plays to orchestrating gameplans, he’d be Safeties coach, which he could probably do with his eyes closed.

And as a recruiter, come on... What 4-star Safety from South FL is gonna be like, “No thanks Ed Reed, Ima take my talents to Trailerhasse bro..” lol

As long as Ed commits to working 60 hours a week and attacking the trail, he can have any job on the defense at UM he wants as far as I'm concerned.

But I think the chance of him being willing to put that grind on is about 0.01%.

I'm with you. I agree that he could be an effective teacher. This isn't Michael Jordan jumping from the foul line and asking, "why can't you do that?" Ed obviously had physical gifts but what made him the GOAT was his preparation, and ability to identify what the O was going to do. That kind of attention to detail is a tremendous teaching tool.

100%. But the intensity and obsession people have as a player is different than that as a coach/teacher and can be hard to transfer over to a teaching role, especially since he's already been there done that. That's a concern of mine, and it's somewhat tied up with my concern that it's not clear whether he wants to have an assistant coaching role - a subordinate role, it needs to be emphasized - or not. I hope these concerns are totally overblown because I'd love him on our staff.

You don’t have any idea where his head is at right now at this point in his life. He may not want to put in those long workdays.
You are absolutely right. Never said I know where his mindset is. I clearly said if he took the job? Do not think he would take it if not willing to do the work.

Advertisement
100%. But the intensity and obsession people have as a player is different than that as a coach/teacher and can be hard to transfer over to a teaching role, especially since he's already been there done that. That's a concern of mine, and it's somewhat tied up with my concern that it's not clear whether he wants to have an assistant coaching role - a subordinate role, it needs to be emphasized - or not. I hope these concerns are totally overblown because I'd love him on our staff.
It's a legit concern. One of the observations that have come up in studies is that students are more positively impacted by teachers that are passionate vs. those that are just educated and knowledgeable. My hope is that his passion for the craft and the U would transfer to at least some of the young men. For example, I would love to see what Avantae could do with a passionate teacher showing him the nuances of the position.

As long as Ed commits to working 60 hours a week and attacking the trail, he can have any job on the defense at UM he wants as far as I'm concerned.

But I think the chance of him being willing to put that grind on is about 0.01%.
The only thing is, can you teach what Ed had? Can ED even teach what Ed had? Personally, I don’t think you can teach instincts.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, there is a clip/tweet out there where Ed baits Payton Manning into throwing a pick. It was f’ing insane. Payton loves Ed for it. But idk if you can teach that kind of thing.

Edit: meant to quote the @Pixelated bukake comment

The only thing is, can you teach what Ed had? Can ED even teach what Ed had? Personally, I don’t think you can teach instincts.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, there is a clip/tweet out there where Ed baits Payton Manning into throwing a pick. It was f’ing insane. Payton loves Ed for it. But idk if you can teach that kind of thing.

I think what you just described, how to bait the QB (hiding your intentions, hiding your eyes) very much can be taught.

You guys think Pete Golding spends all his time “grinding” even as the DC for Bama?
In light of recent events, evidence would suggest maybe not Lol

Coaching Football isn’t the same as being a Tier 1 Operator, he’s not gonna have to go on 3 day treks across the Helmand province looking for HVT’s, it’s really not as hard as yall make it out to be...

I can assure you, Jahmile Addae isn’t spending every waking moment of his life recruiting & grinding for UGA, they sign 5-star DB’s because of their program & how much money they spend, not because their coaches only sleep 4 hours a week lol.

Advertisement
I’m the most anti- “hire all Miami bro’s” bro on the board, but Ed is in a different category.

#1) He was an assistant DB’s coach with the Bills, so he does actually have coaching experience
#2) No one had better preparation & film study at their position except for maybe Ray Lewis or Tom Brady. Ed Reed had the Mamba Mentality approach to understanding the intricacies of the game & breaking down film.
#3) He’s been a coach at the UA All-American multiple times, seems trivial right? Except so did Deion Sanders, Herm Edwards & Marvin Lewis all before they returned to coaching in college, they simply used it as an opportunity to re-ingratiate themselves with the High school recruiting scene.
#4) Ed shows up to nearly every event we have on campus, he was at Elite Prospect Day just a few weeks ago, why keep showing up all the time if you don’t have time? Lol

Point being, I don’t think anyone would argue that Ed isn’t arguably the greatest Safety of all-time, so if he wanted to be Safeties coach why not? It’s not like he’d be the DC responsible for calling plays to orchestrating gameplans, he’d be Safeties coach, which he could probably do with his eyes closed.

And as a recruiter, come on... What 4-star Safety from South FL is gonna be like, “No thanks Ed Reed, Ima take my talents to Trailerhasse bro..” lol
From your lips to pink baby Jesus’s ears 🤞🏼🍻👏🏼👍🏼

Advertisement
Perfect illustration of why he’s the GOAT.
That is exactly my feeling on it.

GOATs inherently possess those abilities. Not every CB can bait a QB like Deion could. Otherwise, they would all do it.

This particular play by Ed… you have to set it up; know WHEN to use the bait; and make the perfect steps to make sure (i) Manning makes the throw you are baiting him into & (ii) you aren’t even a hair late, otherwise it is a TD.

There is plenty Ed can teach. I have no doubt about that. But those instincts that made Ed the GOAT… I don’t think those can be taught.

Advertisement
That is exactly my feeling on it.

GOATs inherently possess those abilities. Not every CB can bait a QB like Deion could. Otherwise, they would all do it.

This particular play by Ed… you have to set it up; know WHEN to use the bait; and make the perfect steps to make sure (i) Manning makes the throw you are baiting him into & (ii) you aren’t even a hair late, otherwise it is a TD.

There is plenty Ed can teach. I have no doubt about that. But those instincts that made Ed the GOAT… I don’t think those can be taught.
BB doesn’t act like a schoolgirl over just anything.

Story time: I was in Las Vega last week for the TPE Trade Show (my boy owns a cigar shop in Scottsdale, AZ). Anyway, saw Ed on Wednesday and introduced myself. Kept it brief. Thursday, I see Ed and ask him "when are we gonna have a DC?" I thought he was going to graciously shrug it off and keep moving. Instead, we spoke briefly, and he says something to the effect of 'what y'all want from me?' I took it as a "let's make something happen." He says, "take my number so we can talk." I'm thinking to myself, "I'm just a modestly contributing alum. I cannot hire my man, although I wish I could."

It's kind of surreal when a GOAT offers you his contact info. Needless to say, I'm not going to pester the brother or send him **** Chaney pics.
Sounds like he wants to be more hands on going forward

Idk. This is preparation (which CAN be replicated), timing & instincts at the highest level.

I just don’t think this can be taught. JMO.

Between this and the intern Harsin is banging...

old-school-gang-bang.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back