Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Ed for safeties coach, working to replace Steele as DC when Steele retires after two seasons.

2022 Safeties coach
2023 Co-DC / Safeties
2024 DC

Oh sheet

FB_IMG_1643945003894.jpg

Advertisement
Ed for safeties coach, working to replace Steele as DC when Steele retires after two seasons.

2022 Safeties coach
2023 Co-DC / Safeties
2024 DC
Id put it on a 4 yr track. 2022 as a GA, but focused almost exclusively on recruiting.

The biggest switch is getting acclimated to the recruiting schedule.

Advertisement
Story time: I was in Las Vega last week for the TPE Trade Show (my boy owns a cigar shop in Scottsdale, AZ). Anyway, saw Ed on Wednesday and introduced myself. Kept it brief. Thursday, I see Ed and ask him "when are we gonna have a DC?" I thought he was going to graciously shrug it off and keep moving. Instead, we spoke briefly, and he says something to the effect of 'what y'all want from me?' I took it as a "let's make something happen." He says, "take my number so we can talk." I'm thinking to myself, "I'm just a modestly contributing alum. I cannot hire my man, although I wish I could."

It's kind of surreal when a GOAT offers you his contact info. Needless to say, I'm not going to pester the brother or send him **** Chaney pics.

I’m Not LCE but Reed knows the deal with coaching regardless if you’re a position coach or coordinator. He himself has said he envisions himself as a coordinator eventually so I’m sure he knows what it entails. I think the one thing reed probably won’t do much or is recruiting. I can envision him being a recruiter for 1-2 guys per cycle - the kind of guys he cherry picks and wants to zero in on rather than be one of the recruiter grinder types.

I don’t doubt that he knows what the deal is, and what coaching for a major P5 institution involves. But no one can tell me they know if his mentally ready and committed to put in that kind of work, aside from recruiting, which is additional work and which every coach has to do.

Advertisement
Story time: I was in Las Vega last week for the TPE Trade Show (my boy owns a cigar shop in Scottsdale, AZ). Anyway, saw Ed on Wednesday and introduced myself. Kept it brief. Thursday, I see Ed and ask him "when are we gonna have a DC?" I thought he was going to graciously shrug it off and keep moving. Instead, we spoke briefly, and he says something to the effect of 'what y'all want from me?' I took it as a "let's make something happen." He says, "take my number so we can talk." I'm thinking to myself, "I'm just a modestly contributing alum. I cannot hire my man, although I wish I could."

It's kind of surreal when a GOAT offers you his contact info. Needless to say, I'm not going to pester the brother or send him **** Chaney pics.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You text that gotdam living legend and let him know that there is a thread on CIS mapping out a detailed career path for him. Is he in or out?

Cool situation to find yourself in.

I don’t know it for fact, but why not?

What the **** else does he have to do? Lol

Plus, I think the whole “time” thing is really overrated, there’s thousands of coaches in college football, they’re all not spending 22 out of their 24 hours a day calling & texting recruits, it is a grind, but the grind itself is very over-exaggerated.

Plus NIL & the Portal have changed the overall landscape of recruiting, it’s more brass tax & less snake oil elixir.

I don’t think the grind is exaggerated at all for successful P5 programs. I believe it takes a lot of time and effort. Much more than I think you’re giving it credit for.

As far as what else does he have to do? He may enjoy his life the way it is, and he may not want to give up those extra hours that he uses to enjoy his life.

I can totally see where he’s coming from in being that way. I have thought about going that way myself. He may not want to put in those hours. I get the sense that’s the stage he’s in at this point in his life.

If he’s willing to put in the work he would be ideal, but I don’t think Mario is gonna take a part-time coach. Ed Reed or no Ed Reed.

MC is starting out new running an operation that needs to turn itself and it’s culture completely over, if it was me, the last thing I would want is an employee that doesn’t/won’t grind while everyone else does.

That sets a real bad precedent as a leader.

I’m the most anti- “hire all Miami bro’s” bro on the board, but Ed is in a different category.

#1) He was an assistant DB’s coach with the Bills, so he does actually have coaching experience
#2) No one had better preparation & film study at their position except for maybe Ray Lewis or Tom Brady. Ed Reed had the Mamba Mentality approach to understanding the intricacies of the game & breaking down film.
#3) He’s been a coach at the UA All-American multiple times, seems trivial right? Except so did Deion Sanders, Herm Edwards & Marvin Lewis all before they returned to coaching in college, they simply used it as an opportunity to re-ingratiate themselves with the High school recruiting scene.
#4) Ed shows up to nearly every event we have on campus, he was at Elite Prospect Day just a few weeks ago, why keep showing up all the time if you don’t have time? Lol

Point being, I don’t think anyone would argue that Ed isn’t arguably the greatest Safety of all-time, so if he wanted to be Safeties coach why not? It’s not like he’d be the DC responsible for calling plays to orchestrating gameplans, he’d be Safeties coach, which he could probably do with his eyes closed.

And as a recruiter, come on... What 4-star Safety from South FL is gonna be like, “No thanks Ed Reed, Ima take my talents to Trailerhasse bro..” lol
You had me at Hello.

Advertisement
I’m the most anti- “hire all Miami bro’s” bro on the board, but Ed is in a different category.

#1) He was an assistant DB’s coach with the Bills, so he does actually have coaching experience
#2) No one had better preparation & film study at their position except for maybe Ray Lewis or Tom Brady. Ed Reed had the Mamba Mentality approach to understanding the intricacies of the game & breaking down film.
#3) He’s been a coach at the UA All-American multiple times, seems trivial right? Except so did Deion Sanders, Herm Edwards & Marvin Lewis all before they returned to coaching in college, they simply used it as an opportunity to re-ingratiate themselves with the High school recruiting scene.
#4) Ed shows up to nearly every event we have on campus, he was at Elite Prospect Day just a few weeks ago, why keep showing up all the time if you don’t have time? Lol

Point being, I don’t think anyone would argue that Ed isn’t arguably the greatest Safety of all-time, so if he wanted to be Safeties coach why not? It’s not like he’d be the DC responsible for calling plays to orchestrating gameplans, he’d be Safeties coach, which he could probably do with his eyes closed.

And as a recruiter, come on... What 4-star Safety from South FL is gonna be like, “No thanks Ed Reed, Ima take my talents to Trailerhasse bro..” lol

Can't tell if this is a troll or not - I've been got before - but imo it remains to be seen if Ed really wants to hit the pavement as a position coach. He was only a position coach with the Bills for one year. Granted he wasn't retained by the incoming McDermott but he could have gone to look for something else and I'm sure found something easily. Were I a D-I safety I don't think there is anyone, Saban included, I'd rather learn from. That said, the skills it takes to become a HOF safety aren't the same ones it takes to become a great safeties coach (there's a reason why the best college safeties coaches you can think of aren't also in the NFL hall of fame). Expert practitioners often have difficulty switching to a training role, because things come so naturally to them it can be hard (without lots of practice) to be able to helpfully bridge the gap between their expertise and someone who's just learning. Plus he's got a lot of other stuff going on off field.

Charitable reading of this is that no team has made a real, long term commitment to him, so maybe that's why he's seemed distant and hasn't seemed like he really wants to do it. Cynical reading is that even though he drops hints about wanting to be a head coach, he is basically comfortable with his current level of commitment. Personally, I'd love if he and UM went all in on him being a coach, because there's no limit to what he has to teach our kids.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You text that gotdam living legend and let him know that there is a thread on CIS mapping out a detailed career path for him. Is he in or out?

Cool situation to find yourself in.
You make a solid point, counselor. I'll hit him up. But if the compensation package is brought up, I may need to come to y'all for a GoFundMe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back