Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
very good points on the cost of living and all that which I hadn't considered as a factor here. It still will be a bit short sighted given these guys tend to move jobs fairly quick (2-3 years), so its probably not a long term move. But its a good point. God knows we are having trouble filling roles at my job cause of cost of living issues.
is Lincoln Riley having similar issues now that hes in LA vs Norman? actually asking not trying to be sarcastic. I do know they lost a dude to UT (but Austin isn't necessarily cheap either)

I don’t want to get into the internal promotion over everything model.

But they do hire a lot of Clemson alums and loyal guys. That’s why you hire “Miami guys” at Miami and why I advocate for it. I’m not saying hire Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and all that BS. First they have to be a good coach.. if they’re not a good coach it’s pointless.

Hiring guys like Kevin Smith, Mirabal, Field, etc is going to ensure they don’t get poached because they like it here and it’s essentially their dream job. Miami will never have the same pool of candidates as the SEC powers. They just wont

This applies to everyone except coordinators and HC. If you’re making 7 figures, it doesn’t matter. But $300-550K isn’t doing anything in miami. I’ve seen houses our assistant coaches live in on their salary, because they usually rent them instead of buy.. half of this board has a nicer house than them. That isn’t the case in Athens, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Gainesville, Clemson, etc

Hard to attract those guys down here unless they’re from here, played here, or are loyal to the coordinator or HC that they’re following looking for a promotion or whatever
But taxes tho.

Wayment...

Mahomes made Reid?

The same an who was already known as Brett Favre's OC/QBC and next future star coach from the Bill Walsh tree????

That Andy Reid???

That sane Andy who went to 5 NFC 'ship games with DONOVAN MCNABB???

MAHOMES MADE HIM???????

View attachment 175405

Thanks @Andrew for making drool face a dumb reaction.
That was the dumbest **** I read I today

Advertisement
I think you're largely correct and am taking a balanced approach here. The only point I might differ in (and it probably would be based on how Mario might be viewing this vs us) is deeming it "struggling".

If he made a list of what he views as "A+" candidates and is still working his way through them until he gets two hits then he's not thinking he's struggling because he still views the end product as two choices from the "creme of the crop".

I think where most people would differ is how that process is trending and how you're handling it as a possibility that you're going to end up in "B-" hire territory.

-Schumann was possibly completely misread.
-Same thing with Candle AND he strung you along.
-Belk absolutely could be following suit on BOTH fronts too.

I'm personally not in panic mode in the slightest yet but I'd be lying if I'd say this isn't head scratching.

Mario is a master recruiter and is obviously able to read what might be the flakiest humans on the planet in teenagers but apparently has been at least slightly misled by adult men that are his professional colleagues.

Then again, that might just be a slight indictment on the maturity and professional honor of coaches in general too.

regarding being misled, Mario did do the same to us and he did bounce out of Oregon for home. its just a business. if the right opportunity comes along, guys will jump.

This is cold, hard truth, but I'll put it out there. Because once you accept that Mario has missed on a bunch of top candidates then you have to ask yourself: why? And that's a question many people don't want to ask themselves because there's a number of rather obvious and rational reasons that many people simply don't want to accept, such as:

(1) Maybe the money is not as much as we thought. Or maybe it's much more than we previously had, but still not enough to keep TRob and BMAC in Miami. Maybe it's also not enough to convince a guy like Briles to move his family for the 5 time in as many years.
(2) Desirability of the job: posters could be overrating how desirable it is to work as a position coach or coordinator at Miami. Many coaches might perceive it as a risky job and not a job that'll propel their careers forward.
(3) Mario's clout: Maybe Mario doesn't have the clout and reputation in the couching industry that we thought he had.
(4) Mario's judgment: why did he spend so much time on people that eventually turned us down? Why couldn't he see the writing on the wall? Why didn't he have backups in place?

My own take is that a lot of posters on here are overrating the desirability of our open jobs. We don't have a great 15-year track record. Most of our coordinators and position coaches end up fired, not promoted. And while we have a lot of money, we probably don't have enough money to justify taking the risk and moving across the country.

Take a guy like Belk. He's a fast-riser. He crushed it in year 1 as a playcaller and his name is picking up steam publicly and in coaching circles. Now he's presented with an opportunity to go to Miami, a place where DCs have produced, on average, pedestrian defenses for the last 10 or so years. Risk it at Miami? Or stay at Houston, where he has a talent advantage relative to his peers and he's already shown he can produce an elite defense? Another elite defense at Houston will almost assuredly land him a DC job at a university with a much better history of producing good defenses over the last 15 years... and maybe even a G5 coaching job.

Then there's the money. Houston was already paying him 1M a year and is allegedly "doing everything they can" to keep him at Houston, which I assume means a pay raise. So yeah maybe we can offer for a few hundred thousands dollars more than Houston, but for a fast-riser like Belk, who's looking at both jobs as a stepping-stone..is a few hundred thousand dollars extra that important? Probably not enough to swing it in our direction.

That's why I don't blame Mario for the misses (I do blame him for the slowness). He's fighting against 15 years of mediocrity. Our reputation is battered. If he starts signing annual top-10 recruiting classes (which I think he will) and he starts consistently winning the Coastal/10+ games a year, then the next time we have a coaching search, we won't have to move down to our B-rated and C-rated candidates.
One of the best perspectives in over 30K posts. THIS is the harsh reality and I have no doubt Mario realizes it as well.

Wayment...

Mahomes made Reid?

The same an who was already known as Brett Favre's OC/QBC and next future star coach from the Bill Walsh tree????

That Andy Reid???

That sane Andy who went to 5 NFC 'ship games with DONOVAN MCNABB???

MAHOMES MADE HIM???????

View attachment 175405

Thanks @Andrew for making drool face a dumb reaction.
Dude turned Alex Smith into a prolific deep ball thrower, yet Mahomes made him. The arguments some guys make on here at times are so laughable.

very good points on the cost of living and all that which I hadn't considered as a factor here. It still will be a bit short sighted given these guys tend to move jobs fairly quick (2-3 years), so its probably not a long term move. But its a good point. God knows we are having trouble filling roles at my job cause of cost of living issues.
Other factors are guys with kids that have already started back at school and moving them now is a hassle, signing day passing and the image of leaving immediately before/after signing day isn’t a good look to future recruits and makes it harder to recruit. The longer you wait the more problems continue to come up. There’s a lot of work done from January until spring ball starts and having to redo that on a new team is exhausting this late. That’s why you finalize your staff in December or early January before dead period opens.

We’re a month behind everyone on position evals, getting your staff on the same page on scheme and technical stuff we’re running, practice planning, player development planning, setting our future recruiting board, etc.

Just my $.02. We’re in better hands than we were for sure but I’m not a fan of this strategy.

Advertisement
Any chance that Mario is playing good guy and letting others complete their recruiting classes before taking the coordinators? Or is it possible that some of these guys have that built into their contracts and minimize adverse actions by waiting?

I get that we clearly don’t have the same clauses or get that courtesy given the BMac experience. Just wondering if we are waiting until after Wednesday as all of this is mind boggling.

I don’t get the vibe that Mario is an *** hat to work for or that he truly is racist (love the rhetoric coming out that the Cuban guy is anti inclusion). Just trying to figure out why this looks the way that it does.

I have tremendous faith in Mario but am having difficulties swallowing the current day-to-day thirst for progress without any results. I am looking for it all to end asap, but also want the best that we can get and have to imagine that Mario is of the same opinion as this is all a reflection of him at this point.

regarding being misled, Mario did do the same to us and he did bounce out of Oregon for home. its just a business. if the right opportunity comes along, guys will jump.
Agreed. I'm just thinking more a combo of misled/misread and more in the instances in guys that stayed where they were (Schumann and Candle) and now possibly Belk. And with Schumann (if you believe the intel) it was him backing out of a deal.

Advertisement
Any chance that Mario is playing good guy and letting others complete their recruiting classes before taking the coordinators? Or is it possible that some of these guys have that built into their contracts and minimize adverse actions by waiting?

I get that we clearly don’t have the same clauses or get that courtesy given the BMac experience. Just wondering if we are waiting until after Wednesday as all of this is mind boggling.

I don’t get the vibe that Mario is an *** hat to work for or that he truly is racist (love the rhetoric coming out that the Cuban guy is anti inclusion). Just trying to figure out why this looks the way that it does.

I have tremendous faith in Mario but am having difficulties swallowing the current day-to-day thirst for progress without any results. I am looking for it all to end asap, but also want the best that we can get and have to imagine that Mario is of the same opinion as this is all a reflection of him at this point.
absolutely not. why didn't he allow Kevin Smith to finish out the Ole Miss recruiting class? they're just not hired yet. its the truth right now. doesn't mean well end up with trash guys in the end as we haven't hired anyone really to begin with lol

Advertisement

If Mario is playing nice guy that’s dumb because if he poaches other teams coaches he can possibly steal their recruits which is beneficial

I admittedly don't know much about Ken Dorsey but it would seem, learning about it over the last few weeks, that he was likely going to be an OC candidate at seasons end for many NFL teams. He would have to have known that and so would Mario. It's very odd that Dorsey would have told Mario he wants/interested to be OC here and it's even stranger that Mario would have put those eggs in that basket knowing A) the chances are low he'd come here if he does get NFL offers and B) he'd have to wait until January/February to get a real answer.

Agreed. I'm just thinking more a combo of misled/misread and more in the instances in guys that stayed where they were (Schumann and Candle) and now possibly Belk. And with Schumann (if you believe the intel) it was him backing out of a deal.

so from people at UGA I trust, he was never considering jumping to miami. I know he interviewed with Mario for the Oregon job last year. either way, ive seen the he was gonna come and then didn't in two places so ill believe both stories. it doenst matter which is right anyways bc hes not here. It was obvious he wasn't coming when no move happened after the NC game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back