Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might have to adopt the Clemson model.

Outside of Venebales, they really never had any big name coaches during their run. Dabo fired the current Gators HC and replaced him with a guy two years removed from coaching in High School.

Dabo was the face of the program, and the recruiting force. They were selective in who they recruited, and prioritized certain positions over others.

Mario can do that here. More important to get the right hires as opposed to the name hire. Now s the time to get creative and be bold.
I don’t want to get into the internal promotion over everything model.

But they do hire a lot of Clemson alums and loyal guys. That’s why you hire “Miami guys” at Miami and why I advocate for it. I’m not saying hire Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and all that BS. First they have to be a good coach.. if they’re not a good coach it’s pointless.

Hiring guys like Kevin Smith, Mirabal, Field, etc is going to ensure they don’t get poached because they like it here and it’s essentially their dream job. Miami will never have the same pool of candidates as the SEC powers. They just wont

This applies to everyone except coordinators and HC. If you’re making 7 figures, it doesn’t matter. But $300-550K isn’t doing anything in miami. I’ve seen houses our assistant coaches live in on their salary, because they usually rent them instead of buy.. half of this board has a nicer house than them. That isn’t the case in Athens, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Gainesville, Clemson, etc

Hard to attract those guys down here unless they’re from here, played here, or are loyal to the coordinator or HC that they’re following looking for a promotion or whatever

Advertisement
Awbarn back in the market for an OC. Dude dipped 3 weeks after being hired.

Mario isn’t the only one struggling. **** is all over the place **** Bama just stole Kentucky OL coach without anyone even knowing.

It’s the wild Wild West in college sports
We are the only P5 (maybe even team in general, Hawaii is probably also bare rn) in the United States of America that doesn't have half of their coaching staff filled out, much less missing both coordinators.

This cannot have been the plan. He is struggling, it's ok to admit it. Doesn't mean it'll turn out like mierda (although it could); in fact Brady and Belk are still technically on the table, and that would be an absolute grand slam of a tandem.

But they do hire a lot of Clemson alums and loyal guys. That’s why you hire “Miami guys” at Miami and why I advocate for it. I’m not saying hire Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, and all that BS. First they have to be a good coach.. if they’re not a good coach it’s pointless.

Hiring guys like Kevin Smith, Mirabal, Field, etc is going to ensure they don’t get poached because they like it here and it’s essentially their dream job. Miami will never have the same pool of candidates as the SEC powers. They just wont

This applies to everyone except coordinators and HC. If you’re making 7 figures, it doesn’t matter. But $300-550K isn’t doing anything in miami. I’ve seen houses our assistant coaches live in on their salary, because they usually rent them instead of buy.. half of this board has a nicer house than them. That isn’t the case in Athens, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Gainesville, Clemson, etc

Hard to attract those guys down here unless they’re from here, played here, or are loyal to the coordinator or HC that they’re following looking for a promotion or whatever

what if Kevin smiths dream job is UCF?!?!?! lol kidding.

also the bold is key. rent instead of buy. to me, they don't trust this place long enough to warrant making it a permanent home int he past obviously. Mario can change it

Hurtt is meh, Dorsey I would have been fine with but either way I’m not sure just because an NfL org makes a decision it’s automatically a good one… I mean lot of us are Dolphins fans
Exactly. Dorsey I would have been alright with but i have zero interest in Hurtt as a DC. Also, can we please stop the “coach X got an NFL job so he must be good” line of thinking? The NFL hires and rehires bums all the time. The league is full of guys I’d never hire at Miami.

Advertisement
Auburn more than likely will promote their WR Coach to OC. So more than likely hire a QB Coach.

I can’t see today being both hires. Why wouldn’t he announce while kids were on campus? Even have them meet them and try and keep it quiet.
Can you imagine 50 or so 16-17 year olds keeping a secret? It would undoubtedly get leaked. Not making excuses but seriously doubt that’s the reason.

Awbarn back in the market for an OC. Dude dipped 3 weeks after being hired.

Mario isn’t the only one struggling. **** is all over the place **** Bama just stole Kentucky OL coach without anyone even knowing.

It’s the wild Wild West in college sports
Us, ND, Ole Miss, and Auburn are having a **** of a time and getting poached left and right. LSU built a mediocre (at best) staff with an endless amount of cash. UF’s staff is less than half as star studded as they said it would be. They still have a G5 DC and Billy is an average/slightly above average OC.

There’s 5 schools that basically take who they want and everyone else goes through this. We’re just going slower than everyone for whatever reason

Exactly. Dorsey I would have been alright with but i have zero interest in Hurtt as a DC. Also, can we please stop the “coach X got an NFL job so he must be good” line of thinking? The NFL hires and rehires bums all the time. The league is full of guys I’d never hire at Miami.

I like Dorsey bc hes a bright mind but ive heard on diff pods that hes a dude that will never want to coach in college. he likes to coach in the NFL, he doesn't wanna deal with 18-22 year olds regularly, and he gets unlimited time with his room in the league to coach. he barely sat at App State long enough to even pick out a rental before jumping back to the NFL. it wasn't ever realistic imo and idc what anyone says.

barf on hurtt.

Advertisement
Us, ND, Ole Miss, and Auburn are having a **** of a time and getting poached left and right. LSU built a mediocre (at best) staff with an endless amount of cash. UF’s staff is less than half as star studded as they said it would be. They still have a G5 DC and Billy is an average/slightly above average OC.

There’s 5 schools that basically take who they want and everyone else goes through this. We’re just going slower than everyone for whatever reason

Ole Miss is interesting bc Lane has had good success there and FAU now.

ND is going in with a new coach so trust may be a factor.

LSU just rolls with Kellys staff but hes a proven elite coach so they'll be fine.

Napier LOL he did the al golden thing with his staff.

You speaking facts. This is the real estate (fraud) capital of the US. Somebody at UM knows somebody who should be able to hook these coaches up on the housing/condo front to help circumvent some of the housing and rent prices here. It's like when USC bough Riley's home in Oklahoma or the booster club paid off Saban's.

Every time we talk, I like you more and more 🙌

Handshake Reaction GIF

Advertisement

very good points on the cost of living and all that which I hadn't considered as a factor here. It still will be a bit short sighted given these guys tend to move jobs fairly quick (2-3 years), so its probably not a long term move. But its a good point. God knows we are having trouble filling roles at my job cause of cost of living issues.

Advertisement
Sounds like the U might want to invest a few million in rental property to let the assistants live in. Spend 10 mil on houses and let the lower salary coaches live in them. Could be a tax write off and with property values constantly going up, it would be a good investment. A bit of upfront cost, but it sure would up the attractiveness to lure top tier position coaches.

I remember years ago when Bob Pruett was flirting with leaving Marshall to go back to Florida. The boosters gave him a nice raise and also bought him a very nice house to sweeten the deal.

Mahomes made Reid. Don’t forget how many big games the Eagles lost when they were heavy favorites. His coaching tree is decent with Reich and Pederson, but Nagy is awful. Mahomes, Mahomes, Mahomes. He would make any coach look good.
Wayment...

Mahomes made Reid?

The same an who was already known as Brett Favre's OC/QBC and next future star coach from the Bill Walsh tree????

That Andy Reid???

That sane Andy who went to 5 NFC 'ship games with DONOVAN MCNABB???

MAHOMES MADE HIM???????

dumbest-thing-ive-ever-heard-dumb.gif

Thanks @Andrew for making drool face a dumb reaction.

We are the only school in the United States of America that doesn't have half of their coaching staff filled out, much less missing both coordinators.

This cannot have been the plan. He is struggling, it's ok to admit it. Doesn't mean it'll turn out like mierda (although it could); in fact Brady and Belk are still technically on the table, and that would be an absolute grand slam of a tandem.
I think you're largely correct and am taking a balanced approach here. The only point I might differ in (and it probably would be based on how Mario might be viewing this vs us) is deeming it "struggling".

If he made a list of what he views as "A+" candidates and is still working his way through them until he gets two hits then he's not thinking he's struggling because he still views the end product as two choices from the "creme of the crop".

I think where most people would differ is how that process is trending and how you're handling it as a possibility that you're going to end up in "B-" hire territory.

-Schumann was possibly completely misread.
-Same thing with Candle AND he strung you along.
-Belk absolutely could be following suit on BOTH fronts too.

I'm personally not in panic mode in the slightest yet but I'd be lying if I'd say this isn't head scratching.

Mario is a master recruiter and is obviously able to read what might be the flakiest humans on the planet in teenagers but apparently has been at least slightly misled by adult men that are his professional colleagues.

Then again, that might just be a slight indictment on the maturity and professional honor of coaches in general too.

Might have to adopt the Clemson model.

Outside of Venebales, they really never had any big name coaches during their run. Dabo fired the current Gators HC and replaced him with a guy two years removed from coaching in High School.

Dabo was the face of the program, and the recruiting force. They were selective in who they recruited, and prioritized certain positions over others.

Mario can do that here. More important to get the right hires as opposed to the name hire. Now s the time to get creative and be bold.
And that’s why the panic doesn’t make sense. We have a true leader at the helm now and that’s the biggest difference and most important thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back