Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Man we should have just kept Manny as DC

View attachment 172268
DBB2E50E-5F1D-4CB4-97FF-2E1331491258.gif

There's a little spot that opened in Orlando called MX Tacos. Earlier in his career, the owner lived and worked in Mexico. His menu is a map of Mexico and he makes different tacos from different regions. He has his own off-site tortilla maker and he won't tell anyone her name. Guy is hardcore passionate about authentic Mexican food.

One day a week he makes posole, and on Saturdays he does al pastor tacos for a few hours. He doesn't have the zoning to do the rotisserie cooking the way he wants to for al pastor, so he does it off-site and brings it in while it is still warm.

He puts pineapple in the al pastor tacos. I trust the guy's expertise.
How are the enchiladas?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is it pretty much guaranteed that the Ruiz multi billion dollar deal goes through?

You are right. Lots of dopes on this board are going to latch onto your use of the word "indecisive" (which you have since edited) and try to pat themselves on the back for being so insightful. "Yeah, Cribby told me I was RIGHT, bro!"

But here's the reality. FIU hired Mario on December 19, 2006. Mario managed to hire OC James Coley by January 5, 2007, and DC Phil Galiano by January 10, 2007. How did that work out? In his six years at FIU, Mario went through 4 OCs and 3 DCs. At the time, there were some claims that Mario interfered with his coordinators too much, though that could have been Pete Garcia trying to undermine him. However, the number of coordinators that Mario went through is nothing to brag about, though he clearly hired some guys who went on to have more success later.

When Mario got the Oregon job, he inherited Arroyo and Leavitt, so he didn't have to hire any coordinators out of the box. But he also went through 2 OCs and 3 DCs in four years.

From what I've heard, Mario has been reflecting on how he's done things in the past, and trying to do things differently and better at UM. Obviously, he didn't have a lot of choice in his first year at Oregon, so this is really the first time he's assembling a staff from scratch in 15 years. And if he's targeting NFL guys for his UM coordinators...well, let's not forget that this is the first year the NFL has played 17 games, and a lot of teams were still in contention until recently.

I think Mario's definitely putting pressure on himself to "stick the landing" now that he is back home. But we have a bunch of dopey porsters who have never even met Mario who INSIST that he is being "indecisive". The truth is, Mario doesn't want to hire anyone who leaves after 6 weeks, and he doesn't want to burn through coordinators every year or two. Mario has had exactly two coordinators who lasted 3 years under him, and that's Galiano at FIU and Arroyo at Oregon.

So, yeah, Mario has a bunch of targets and contingency plans and backups to his contingencies, and all of those things don't snap into place as quickly as some internet geniuses (who are not making $8 million per year) would like for things to happen. Who cares? Make two good coordinator hires, and nobody will remember this crap two months from now.
Cat Read GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Haven't been down there in many years (for the obvious reasons), but I might venture out.

There's a place just south of the flea market called Tortas El Rey, I definitely recommend it.

To the east of the Flea Market, on Orange Avenue, is a little spot called Taqueria Ameca. Another one that I highly recommend.

In another reply, I mentioned MX Taco on Bumby, amazing place, I've met the owner several times, very nice guy. Legit food, he makes posole on Thursday.

I've just started going to a new place up on 17-92 in Maitland called Jalapeno's Mexican Eats, I've been twice in 2 weeks. Family owned and operated, both times I've been, it was the daughter who was the only one working.

There's a place up on Lee Road called Mi Gordita Loca, I found it just before COVID a couple of years ago, so I've only been there once, and it's very good.

Finally, if you are ever way north, up in Sorrento on State Road 46, there is a little bodega called El Paso Meat Market & Restaurant. The "restaurant" is just a couple of tables on the inside of the store, but it's good.

There's also some little spots here and there from about Haines City to Plant City, food trucks too. Not as "permanently established" as the spots I mentioned above.

Later this year, Torchy's Tacos (from Austin, TX I think) will be opening up a couple of locations in Orlando.

And there better not be a single person who accuses me of derailing the thread, after about 50 pages of wrestling posts...

Oh, and here's part of the menu from MX Taco:
Yeah Torchy's is from Austin, they are opening up a spot in Altamonte later this year.

Hunger St Tacos(Winter Park) and Black Rooster Taqueria (Mills 50) are pretty nice

If you're up in Casselberry/Fern Park, there's a little food truck called Francisco's Taco Madness, they used to be in front of Lowes, now they are across 17-92 from it, but they make some mean Al Pastor... their burritos are a little sloppy, but some of the best I've had in town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back