Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrestling Bass GIF

Wrestling talk ends at page 600.
Bet

Advertisement
Then they were off to Miami Beach for a Wednesday night show at the Miami Beach Convention Center. As a kid, I couldn't wait to rip into the Herald,'s sports page 1st thing Monday morning to read box scores and of course, look for that exact wrestling card ad that was posted to see who was wrasslinon Wednesday night. It was always a treat when the Canadian Freight Train was in town. Every once in a while his brother, Paul Leduc would show up and then you knew it was on. Lol I think for me at the time , the scariest human beings alive were guys like Abdullah the Butcher, Ox Baker, Pak Song,, The Mongolian Stomper , Professor Tanaka, and the Assassins. Those guys really knew how to put on a show. But nothing was better than getting to watch my main man, The American Dream, the son of a plumber, Dusty Rhodes headline a card. He was always in the main event. Man , talk about someone that could get over with the crowd! Everyone loved Dusty! That cat would have the place jumping on Wednesday nights. Ill never forget witnessing those legendary bloody Texas Bull Rope matches, cage matches & lights out no dq matches. I always lost my voice by the end of the night at those shows. Ahhhh good times, good times indeed.
Back in that day, late 70s, my mother worked for a small accounting firm that handled a lot of the pro wrestler’s money. She was able to get me a lot of autographs, almost everyone touring NWA territory through Tampa. Interestingly, she told me the nicest wrestler when she requested an autograph was Superstar Billy Graham, and the least nice was Dusty Rhodes. He signed, but wasn’t interested in being bothered. Wish I still had that autograph book.

I used to buy the Pro Wrestling mags of the day, so I knew who the AWA and WWWF stars were, when they made a rare appearance. Bruno Sammartino did a local house show once, I think. Nick Bockwinkle, longtime AWA champion, did as well. I’m sure Andre The Giant did, wish I had seen him.

As I think back, I remember sitting front row at a Bayfront Center show where Dusty beat Harley Race for the NWA World Title, only to have the win taken away by the “NWA Commissioner” on the next TV tapping.

I haven’t paid attention to the WWE in a long time. I did watch the old RAW shows during the Attitude Era when The Rock was mentioned as a former Cane. But as those performers aged the content was watered down, and there was too much visibility into the wrestler’s real lives through social media. The PG Era became a parody about putting on a pro wrestling show, if you get my meaning. Never watched any WCW.

Since the thread is completely derailed anyway, I'll share a cool wrestling experience I had. Around 99-2000 I was 13ish, flying back from visiting my grandparents in Pittsburgh going back to Atlanta. WWF was also in Pittsburgh going to Atlanta the following week. We got to our terminal and there were people everywhere. Turned out that all the WWF wrestlers were on our flight.

I was big into wrestling at the time and was going to the Atlanta match. It was crazy. There might have been 15 people on that flight that didn't work for WWF. The Rock and China were by far the nicest, genuine people. Basically the whole flight DJ talked to and played with all the kids. HHH was a complete d-bag and farted on me when I went up to talk to him. Everyone else I met was pretty cool. One of the coolest experiences of my life.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back