Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Just win, idgaf if we run the ball every play.. Obviously the game has changed a lot over the last ten years but anyone thinking we are going 60/40 pass is crazy..
2020 Alabama: 32.7 pass, 36.6 run
2019 LSU: 37.8 pass, 33.0 run
2018 Clemson: 33.9 pass, 37.8 run
2017 Alabama: 23.8 pass, 43.7 run
2016 Clemson: 41.9 pass, 39.3 run
2015 Alabama: 29.7 pass, 42.8 run
2014 Ohio State: 27.3 pass, 46 run
2013 Florida State: 31.6 pass, 36.1 run
2012 Alabama 23.4 pass, 40.7 run
2011 Alabama 27.5 pass, 39.1 run

Just win, idgaf if we run the ball every play.. Obviously the game has changed a lot over the last ten years but anyone thinking we are going 60/40 pass is crazy..
2020 Alabama: 32.7 pass, 36.6 run
2019 LSU: 37.8 pass, 33.0 run
2018 Clemson: 33.9 pass, 37.8 run
2017 Alabama: 23.8 pass, 43.7 run
2016 Clemson: 41.9 pass, 39.3 run
2015 Alabama: 29.7 pass, 42.8 run
2014 Ohio State: 27.3 pass, 46 run
2013 Florida State: 31.6 pass, 36.1 run
2012 Alabama 23.4 pass, 40.7 run
2011 Alabama 27.5 pass, 39.1 run
Running more than throwing is a sign of winning most of the time as of late. Hard to take into account % of plays run an all of that.

Just give me a team that can win on the ground and through the air. Which is what we’re going to try to be. If joe Moorhead is your OC, you run his offense. If Briles is your OC, you run his offense. It’s not going to be Mario forcing them to run the ball.

In 2019 they ran the ball 53% of the time compared to 47% pass it ends equating to 36 runs per game vs 31 passes per game. The ran a balanced offense with Herbert but nowhere near ground and pound.

Now take the 53~ QB scrambles and swap those back to passing calls. Then take away a bunch of lopsided runs in Oregon blowouts. They passed plenty when it mattered.

Advertisement
I’d be shocked if that whole area isn’t shaken up some. I’m sure Mario has gotten feedback from players.
Hopefully he's gotten feedback from players like tyrique and Rambo who have been on playoff teams for multiple years vs the guys who have only seen what Miami has

Running more than throwing is a sign of winning most of the time as of late. Hard to take into account % of plays run an all of that.

Just give me a team that can win on the ground and through the air. Which is what we’re going to try to be. If joe Moorhead is your OC, you run his offense. If Briles is your OC, you run his offense. It’s not going to be Mario forcing them to run the ball.

Preach.

You have to win in multiple ways , you can’t build your team to be pass happy or run happy. That balance gives you wiggle room on bad weather days or the timing is just off with the pass game. Sometimes you’re just facing a really good pass defense that’s a little weaker versus the run. Or vice versa.

That’s what made the 01 team so good. They could line up and pound some weeks and others air it out. Balance is very important.

Advertisement
Now go look at yards per attempt for each of those QBs in those offenses.

Kyler Murray in 2018 threw the ball almost 50 fewer times than Herbert did and had nearly 900 more yards than him in the same amount of games.
Baker in 2017 threw the ball less than Herbert in the same amount of games and had over 1000 yards more.
Mac in 2020 threw the ball 25 fewer times less than Herbert and outpaced him by over 1000 yards.

Those teams created explosive plays in the passing game coupled with their run game. So not only did Mario like to run the ball his OC didn't even use that commitment to the run to gain explosive plays in the passing game.

Throwing the ball horizontally may not be true ground and pound but it works the same way. You're not pushing the ball down the field and you're playing in a 10 yard box of your making.

Three of the teams you mentioned made the playoffs too. The one team who didn't? The team with the QB who most closely resembled Herbert's yards per attempt numbers. Ole Miss had other issues to keep them out of the playoff but they like to throw the ball horizontal too.
Posts like these completely ignore half the equation to having an explosive offense. Baker was throwing the ball to two 1st round and a 3rd round WR. Murray had two 1st round WRs. Mac had three 1st round WRs, one of them winning the Heisman. Oregon had nowhere close to that talent in the WR room.

love the fact someone that works in football says this. thanks.

Preach.

You have to win in multiple ways , you can’t build your team to be pass happy or run happy. That balance gives you wiggle room on bad weather days or the timing is just off with the pass game. Sometimes you’re just facing a really good pass defense that’s a little weaker versus the run. Or vice versa.

That’s what made the 01 team so good. They could line up and pound some weeks and others air it out. Balance is very important.
Some people want some Mike leach from Texas tech air raid numbers…. Completely forget about the **** running game as if we don’t play In south Florida with the rain.

Advertisement
The more smart football people you surround yourself with the better. There’s a reason Alabama has a laundry list of analysts running around campus.
Word I Agree GIF by INTO ACTION

Advertisement
All I know for sure is by those names Mario wants more of a 3-4 / multiple defense. Both guys run that and read / react styles. They use a lot of different formations from 3-4, 4-3, 335 and 425. It’ll be a complete 180 from Manny. Tyrique should be happy ( if he comes back). If could help with other transfers too.
I would be shocked if Stevenson goes pro when he’s still recovering from injury.

I’d be shocked if that whole area isn’t shaken up some. I’m sure Mario has gotten feedback from players.
I dont know ****.. but I feel like the training department (treatment and recovery), mental health, and the nutrition are overlooked by a ton of people. In the blueprints for the Mal Moore facility at Bama there are cryo rooms, mental health rooms, recovery pools, etc. And thats not even in the same building as the nutrition facility

All that and he hasn't called the defense yet. Will be stepping into a situation void of the athletes up front that he's seen at Bama and UGA. I like him and hope he comes, but he's not sure thing regardless of who he has been in the room with
and he's not calling the CFP games either( Lanning is) and I'd bet a dollar to a donut Muschump calls them going forward...he ought to be about ****ed off enough to bolt UGA to come here to call the defense this being the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back